Should coppers carry guns?

I haven't googled yet but why are comparisons always drawn with the U.S.?

There are countries on our own continent that routinely arm the rozzers. It certainly makes you think twice about spontaneous crime, when seeing a rozzer with a shiny black, well kept side arm on his hip.

Still, according to a lot of people on this forum rozzers should be banned and replaced with a non-physical, zero-contact, community ushering service who utter kind words of "excuse me would you mind not committing a crime please".

I have never read such utter waffle in all my life. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
There are countries on our own continent that routinely arm the rozzers. It certainly makes you think twice about spontaneous crime, when seeing a rozzer with a shiny black, well kept side arm on his hip.

How is a cop with a gun going to deter somebody nicking something they have seen in the street and quite like the look of? Are you suggesting that if they do they will get shot dead so that means they ain't going to do it?

Now in the States if you nick something in front of a cop and then run away, there is a good chance he will shoot you in the back, and the copper will get away with it.

Do you want that here?

The police are part of the public.

To give them guns, but to still ban us from having them, draws a line between them and us.

I haven't googled yet but why are comparisons always drawn with the U.S.?
The reason I've mentioned USA because they have one of the highest murder rate because of the guns crazy culture and even their death penalty isn't working so I can't see having guns in the UK going to make any difference. I want to get away from this uncivilised world.

Sponsored Links

To give them guns, but to still ban us from having them, draws a line between them and us.
I would like to agree but I think somehow this would courage people buying guns

If your house was being broken into, would you rather reach for a gun, or call 999?

People need to stop thinking owning guns will turn us into the USA, plenty of European countries with guns and similar or lower murder rates.

Same with the NHS, any talk of changing it and it's "you want us to be like the US", never any talk of what the continent does.

Now in the States if you nick something in front of a cop and then run away, there is a good chance he will shoot you in the back, and the copper will get away with it.
Honestly?

Wow!

So people have brazenly stolen something right in front of a U.S. cop, then legged it and been shot? You would have thought there would first be an exchange of words at least, or mebbe for the cop to have a weapon targeted at him or summat.

Goodness me, i a'int never going back to that barbaric place ever again.

Yep, thats done it for me. Arm our rozzers with a sturdy tuncheon and a loud voice.

Well noseall I guess you really have to live there to understand the place.

I lived there from 1992-2001 and 2002-2004.

How about you? Let me know and then I will know what level to pitch my response at.

If your house was being broken into, would you rather reach for a gun, or call 999?
I would never own a gun so that's out of the question, I would rather beef up the security. If you pointed a gun at me and I'm asking you to shoot me, could you do it?

People need to stop thinking owning guns will turn us into the USA, plenty of European countries with guns and similar or lower murder rates.
Fair enough.

Well noseall I guess you really have to live there to understand the place.

I lived there from 1992-2001 and 2002-2004.

How about you? Let me know and then I will know what level to pitch my response at.
Mate, i believe you.

Every word.

Honest.

Seems plausible enough for me.

In fact, just give our coppers a loud voice, don't want any crooks getting their nail varnish chipped.

Well I'm glad you believe me because that means you learned something today.

But you ducked my question. You said..

(And I hesitate in quoting it too much as I get the impression seeing a copper with "shiny black, well kept side arm on his hip" gives you tingles)

So now you have come back from the bathroom....

What do you expect the cop to do with the gun if somebody commits a 'spontaneous crime' in front of him? What's the point in him having it unless he is going to kill somebody with it? It's not a deterrent unless it's going to be used. Should you be shot dead for nicking something in front of a copper, because that is the logical conclusion of what you are arguing.

What do you expect the cop to do with the gun if somebody commits a 'spontaneous crime' in front of him? What's the point in him having it unless he is going to kill somebody with it? It's not a deterrent unless it's going to be used. Should you be shot dead for nicking something in front of a copper, because that is the logical conclusion of what you are arguing.

So what you are saying is that I shouldn't shoplift in Germany, japan, municipal France, and some other EU countries, as the police will shoot me?

Cool story bro!

I tell you what Chappy, your posts are becoming ever increasingly.....er....bizarre!

Er, have actually asked me a sensible question.

Walking around Rome this year, seeing the rozzers with their sidearm was a bit of an eye opener. It made me think that i would not want to upset these fellas.

I would not expect to get shot in the back for shoplifting though.

Great story.

As long as there were strict regulations as to when they could use them, although even that wouldnt prevent some idiot copper shooting an innocent person. Would it save more lives that it would cause accidental shootings? If so then yes, give them guns, train them up and if something goes wrong they better be prepared to get punished. Cant have maverick police officers getting away with ****....

Sponsored Links
Back