Should gas fire allow unlit gas through when it’s in between heat settings ?

Sponsored Links
Once past the ignition stage with pilot lit and FF ODS operating any released gas would be ignited.
I would suspect operator error, Possibly holding the knob in for an excessive length of time to heat the T Couple BEFORE the flame has been ignited.
A very small amount of gas makes a big smell ….That's why Mercaptan is added to it.
5 - 15% G I A BOOM!!!

Once past the ignition stage with pilot lit and FF ODS operating any released gas would be ignited.
I would suspect operator error, Possibly holding the knob in for an excessive length of time to heat the T Couple BEFORE the flame has been ignited.
A very small amount of gas makes a big smell ….That's why Mercaptan is added to it.
5 - 15% G I A BOOM!!!

There is only a very faint odour of gas when the pilot light is being lit, which I believe is of a normal and acceptable level, which disperses quickly and, can only be detected when very close to the fire whilst looking for a gas leak.

When I arrived yesterday, the smell of gas was overwhelming; I had to open all windows and doors and my Father was up stairs totally unaware.

The gas fire was off and only the pilot light was lit but my Father had positioned the control knob in between the Pilot light position and heat setting One, (sorry, if I’ve said that before)

I can see that my Father is operating the Gas Fire incorrectly but it’s so easy to inadvertently do what he’s doing and without realising.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ultimately, what price your Father's life? You can keep asking questions ad infinitum, until a qualified engineer gets in front of that fire and checks it thoroughly, we can keep guessing until the cows come home.

Ultimately, what price your Father's life? You can keep asking questions ad infinitum, until a qualified engineer gets in front of that fire and checks it thoroughly, we can keep guessing until the cows come home.

I’m not keep asking questions; I’m responding to the post from forum members who have been good enough to offer their thoughts and opinions.

When I’ve repeated what I’ve already said, it’s not because I keep asking the same question; it’s because I’m attempting to stress my concerns in response to the post received; to some extent, it’s a rhetorical question.

Currently my Fathers Gas Fire is temporally disabled and I’m awaiting a manufacturer’s inspection.

mind...I persuade 99% of landlords not to have gas fires in their rentals and if they don't agree they're no longer a customer.
Lol....odd way to conduct a gas servicing business.

doesn't sound right. As the gas escapes into the room in this situation it clearly isn't going to the main jets, or it would burn. That seems wrong for a start. Is it coming from the body of the valve? I would try to find out where, using soapy water.
Indeed...Even on "half" settings....as said...Gas near the burner will ignite..Gas is pizzing from somewhere..Turn It Off!!!!

Lol....odd way to conduct a gas servicing business.

Not really...it makes perfect business sense.
Perhaps if you see the way the HSE and coroners deal with gas incidents you'd realise it's all about cya in this game.
We must allow for the most stupid in society and given the state I find gas fires in that means the only sensible option is to advise they be shut off.
I could list all the dumb things tenants/landlords/builders do but I'm sure you're aware.

Are you a rgi ?

Update..... Glen Dimplex approved engineer has inspected fire and within minutes, was able to re create the issue experienced by my Father and we could smell gas.

Not actually pinpointed a leak but he believes the burner is either cracked or leaking; so it will be replaced under warranty.

Will also replace the gas fire on/off valve, as a precaution.

Thanks for updating us , so many ask for help but never let us know what the problem was, glad you got it sorted out

Update..... approved engineer has inspected fire and within minutes, was able to re create the issue experienced by my Father and we could smell gas.

Not actually pinpointed a leak but he believes the burner is either cracked or leaking; so it will be replaced under warranty.

Will also replace the gas fire on/off valve, as a precaution.
Good to hear that. I trust Glen Dimplex will study it and make sure it can't happen again. They should think themselves lucky it was identified before there was an explosion.

Last edited:
There used to be a problem with R/W firegem series cracked burners and heat exchangers, I would have thought they would have had that sorted by now as I'm talking 20+ yrs ago

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back