Should we tolerate or allow bad/abusive behavior in public?

So going back to my example of someone being verbally harrased in public, for no reason of their own, you would walk away and put it down to free speech?

If I could walk away, yes I probably would.

Only if I were trapped in a confined space might I say something.

The other option is stick your oar in and get knifed.

Slim chance of rogue risking a knifing despite his verbose!

Sponsored Links
remember the old saying,(sticks and stones may break my bones,but names will never hurt me) but words are more destructive, you can mend a broken bone,but who can mend a broken spirit.

Names only hurt the thin skinned nancy boys who don't quite know how the world works.

If you were ever interrogated or kidnapped by terrorists like I was you would know names can never hurt.
It's just a sound that your ears pick up at the end of the day. If it bugs you then its your own fault.

Names only hurt the thin skinned nancy boys who don't quite know how the world works.

If you were ever interrogated or kidnapped by terrorists like I was you would know names can never hurt.
It's just a sound that your ears pick up at the end of the day. If it bugs you then its your own fault.

ha ha ha, you fell in a trap and got yourself mugged by terrorists!

Sponsored Links

I wouldn't compare name calling to torture - but you are helping me make my point about how corrosive racist terms are in conditioning people to hate.

I'd have thought that 'names ' is where it starts in NI.

Taigues, Prods.
Them, Us.

Songs, Slogans.

Start off with the weans, using names to make sure they learn to hate early on. Dehumanise, justify.

You know all that better than me, surely.

I didn't take that Norcon was quite doing that Micilin, but that it is just a name; a stupid tag which reveals more about the perpetrators than the victim.

During my own childhood and growing up into an adult I had insults ranging from tramp, (because I was poor), foureyes, stupid, slap-head...

Why should a racist taunt hurt more or less or be any less stupid than the taunts I had?

Neither are right or fair and the indoctrination you speak of could just as easily be directed towards children forced and brainwashed to go to Church. How much blood has been spilt in the name of all the hypocritical religions? Why single one issue out above all others like that is a bigger or the biggest problem?

So let's eliminate racism along with religions. I know someone will be along soon to say I'm comparing apples with oranges, so let me disagree here now. TO ME they are all disgusting, but they are also all here to stay...

I didn't take that Norcon was quite doing that Micilin, but that it is just a name; a stupid tag which reveals more about the perpetrators than the victim.

During my own childhood and growing up into an adult I had insults ranging from tramp, (because I was poor), foureyes, stupid, slap-head...

Why should a racist taunt hurt more or less or be any less stupid than the taunts I had?

Neither are right or fair and the indoctrination you speak of could just as easily be directed towards children forced and brainwashed to go to Church. How much blood has been spilt in the name of all the hypocritical religions? Why single one issue out above all others like that is a bigger or the biggest problem?

So let's eliminate racism along with religions. I know someone will be along soon to say I'm comparing apples with oranges, so let me disagree here now. TO ME they are all disgusting, but they are also all here to stay...

Religion is partly eliminated in Britian. Which is why imo things have gotten so bad.
Soon only be one religion though. The RoP. :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR

BT,

He may not have been saying that, but sadly it is part of the cycle that breeds terrorism, and I will stand by that and invite a challenge to it in case I am wrong.

I think any kind of bullying is wrong, picking on people because they are different and I hope that I have made that point consistently across my posts.

In fact, I think I have put racists in the context of another kind of bully.

I don't think that because people address one evil it means they condone other abuses, or think less of them. But is there anything wrong with someone taking on one issue ? Surely not - otherwise we would have to take on every injustice to deal with one, and that would never work!

The main reason racism and xenophobia are addressed here a lot is because they are exhibited here a lot. Posts denigrating other differences would get similar reactions , from me anyway.

As for religion - I won't argue with you, the sooner they all die out the better in my opinion. Opium of the people but also the best tool to manipluate them too!

Religions have been here since the year dot and will be here for thousands of millennia hopefully guiding people on the righteous path.

Lennons path doesn't bear thinking about! UUgh horrific. :(
I'd embrace the RoP sooner.

Yes, I can't argue with you there Miciln, except maybe just one little thing...

I think the verbal(posting) and gratuitous abuse on GD in: name calling, personal attacks, username changes purely to insult and degrade another poster, thinly veiled threats, twisting of a valid argument, refusing to give credit on a point well made or ignoring it, intimidation or being slapped-down like a bully, ad-hominem, staw man* - I could go on but I've seen it all here on GD... My point?

That, IMVHO, rains far and away more on GD here than I have ever ever seen from racists or racism! (Until just recently by some coincidence).

And so bringing ONLY that to the table in such a forceful and arrogant manner has brought any racist more so to the surface than I ever saw before! Unsurprisingly, from anyone trying to Champion 'that' cause, they get ribbed like a gay man joining the Royal Navy expecting never to be called a poof.

I first mentioned this aggressive insulting long ago on this very Board and how it put me off posting here! In fact, that's why there were long gaps between my posting in the early years, whereby I probably submitted only a handful of posts and disappeared off the scene - NOT because I saw the GD replete with racism. And I will stand by that Micilin ;) Where I expect to be told I am wrong again?

In that* respect, there are some whiter-than-white posters here who are as complicit and off-putting as the so-called racists! I will leave it at that if a may tonight, or best for good. (Another ridiculous day for me tomorrow).

You raise a very good point, BT.

I've often wondered why personal insults are acceptable (in law), yet racist comments are not.

Doesn't sound very fair to me.

Religions have been here since the year dot and will be here for thousands of millennia hopefully guiding people on the righteous path.

Lennons path doesn't bear thinking about! UUgh horrific. :(
I'd embrace the RoP sooner.

Interesting, then, that you don't adhere to one yourself!

I didn’t see you as religious Norcon. Not being funny, just something about you ;) Personally, as I say, it has a lot, (never), to answer for. A disgusting set of beliefs the lot of them and sets true science back in its quest for truth. But anyway, that’s another matter and topic that’s been thrashed to death..

I've often wondered why personal insults are acceptable (in law), yet racist comments are not.

It's a crazy world; I had to have a talk with my son when he referred to a lad who had been bullying him as a "Polish tw4t", a perfect description given that he was Polish and a tw4t but I had to tell my son he could call him a tw4t but not a Polish one as it was racist. I had a conversation with a Polish girl in work about it and she said it was racist and she would be deeply offended, personally if I was called an English t0sser then the only remotely offensive aspect for me is the t0sser bit... hurts my head to think about it, I'm not sure what's right and what's wrong half the time so keeping kids in order is a minefield.

:(

It's a crazy world; I had to have a talk with my son when he referred to a lad who had been bullying him as a "Polish tw4t", a perfect description given that he was Polish and a tw4t but I had to tell my son he could call him a tw4t but not a Polish one as it was racist. I had a conversation with a Polish girl in work about it and she said it was racist and she would be deeply offended, personally if I was called an English t0sser then the only remotely offensive aspect for me is the t0sser bit... hurts my head to think about it, I'm not sure what's right and what's wrong half the time so keeping kids in order is a minefield.

:(

It is simply because you are using someone's origin/race/colour as part of an insult.

Kids say and do things all the time that are 'wrong' , it's a vital part of their learning. English kids get it elsewhere, kids who move areas get it because of their accent and it is just up to the adults in charge to encourage empathy.

Sponsored Links
Back