Skirting board ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could you give me some advice on how you would deal with this situation where the skirting board sits proud of the architrave like these 4 instances in one of my rooms:

2ykymp1.jpg

2z5unno.jpg

11tom7k.jpg

2lm1nxx.jpg

I have a compound mitre saw and was thinking about taking an angle off it? What are your thoughts and how would you do it? The second two photos (2nd door) isn't as bad as the first one.

Sponsored Links
You could angle it but a rounding over bit in a router may even look better.

Sponsored Links
either return it on itself,plinth blocks or just chamfer/mitre it back.ive done them all over the years,
try 1 and see if you can live with it.

Thanks guys. Just chatted it through with the wife and I think we're going to prefer not using a plinth block. The reason for this is we feel it adds too much extra detail to the look of the room.

What other options are there? When you say "return it on itself" - is this the same as chamfer/mitre it back? Someone said "rounding over bit in a router" - what is this? I guess one option that I could do is to build out the frame to make it flush. How would you suggest fitting the timber to the MDF architrave already there? It's it tough to drive the nails into it?

If I was to mitre off the skirting board, how would I get the angle to look nice etc? Are there tips and tricks for this?

Thanks again for all the input guys.

I have the same situation and the skirting is chamfered. It is neatly done, but it annoys me. I'd rather I had removed the architrave and padded it out.

Thicken the archies, i.e. glue and fix a plant to the back of the archies making them thicker.

I can't see why skirting blocks will be obtrusive or a problem.

I'd just round the edge back with a sander.....the skirtings seem to be MDF so it'll be done in a flash.
In a day or so, you'll forget all about them!
John :)

Please could you give me some advice on how you would deal with this situation where the skirting board sits proud of the architrave like these 4 instances in one of my rooms:

2ykymp1.jpg

2z5unno.jpg

11tom7k.jpg

2lm1nxx.jpg

I have a compound mitre saw and was thinking about taking an angle off it? What are your thoughts and how would you do it? The second two photos (2nd door) isn't as bad as the first one.

I think Gregers has it sorted, but why is the door set so deep into the frame its a good job your not going for plinth block option with the door set that far in you'll have a job opening the door past 90 deg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back