Smoking

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
Not my babes

9 lb 6 and 8 lb 5....

Not bad from a Daddy who was 4lb......albeit 3 months prem!!

Sponsored Links
Nope, but the remote for the telly has appeared from between the folds of my gut now ;) Hoping to lose another stone before I can find my Switch card. :LOL:

I used to wind up an old girlfriend of mine by reminding her that I was dead on 10lb with a large head, as would be all my children. I mentioned this story to a mate of mine, she was unphased. Turns out that despite her petite construction she was born at over 11lbs :eek: Her poor mother!

My missus delivered both and plans to deliver number 3 at home, without any pain relief. Only a couple of paracetamol & some Rescue Remedy...

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
My missus delivered both and plans to deliver number 3 at home, without any pain relief. Only a couple of paracetamol & some Rescue Remedy...

Then back outside to finish harvesting the crops??? :LOL:

You have to hand it to some women, they have bigger balls than us men!

If I had to give birth, I would want a top team of surgeons, midwives and anaesthetists on hand!!! :eek:

I was born at home, as planned. Gas and air were on hand I believe.

My little sister was born in a hospital, but that was because she was breach. 9 and a half pounds, feet first... and kicking. :eek: Yeeeeowwww! :eek: But then my mum is 5 foot 10, so not a small lady.

MMJ- not quite!!

We were just like any other couple expecting their first baby and went to our local mat unit ( in 99) to look round and didn't like what we saw, and heard (from other people's experiences of hosp birth). So we contacted an independent midwife and never looked back. People say to my missus, "Oooh, aren't you brave!". But we think they're the brave ones, going into hospital at the last minute.

In hospital you are often on a "conveyor belt", often you are fitted with a monitor which means moving around is difficult or impossible. If your baby's heartbeat rises, the midwives suspect a problem and accelerate the birth, when all it could be is a blip, a momentary rise in HB.

If your baby does not conform to the hospital's timetable, you will be fretted over and intervention will take place.

Our friend said they were really pleased to have a natural birth. Oh, great! What happened? we asked.

Well, I was put on a monitor and then the baby's HB rose so I was given a drug to induce labour, and they had to use forceps, the baby didn't breathe properly for 12 minutes, then there was a shift change and the incoming midwife thought the outgoing midwife had administered syntometrin (to help eject the placenta) when she had not, and pulled on the cord, causing a haemorrhage, and large amount of blood loss requiring transfusion. But I had the baby naturally..........

I WAS SO GLAD THAT I WAS IN HOSPITAL - IF THAT HAD HAPPENED AT HOME, THE BABY WOULD HAVE DIED, AND SO MIGHT I..

But at home, there would not have been all that intervention, the midwife would not have been subject to a shift change, there would have been no haemo., etc....

At home you are relaxed in your own surroundings, no white coat syndrome. (My father-i-l went recently for a series of blood pressure readings, but every one was high, resulting in further stress & treatment, where as if they had done the reading at home, things would have been OK. He was getting stressed OTW to the drs..........)

It is well known that during labour, things can slow down and even stop, and the mother rests a while.

Our first baby from first contraction to birth was 33 1/2 hours, with a period in the middle.

The second also had a break in the middle where my missus got in the pool and napped for 25 minutes.....then things resumed.

But hospitals seem not to recognise these natural patterns - as I said, you have to conform to time limits and are only given so much time for each stage - ridiculous when women vary so much.

It's like saying "we only sell size 12 clothes, so if you're outside this size bracket, tough....

I'm not anti-hospital, though. They have their place for some births, but you just cannot "standardise" a labour or birth.

The other thing I am suspicious about is that if you ask our local hospital what the cesar rate is they say 10%.

The true rate is actually double that. Why don't they tell you the truth?

Some hospitals seem to cesar at the drop of a hat. Why?

Needless to say, our third (and last) baby will be born the same way. It's absolutely fantastic to see the baby you have made together being born...

I have no hesitation in saying that I cried more than the baby on both occasions........The Midwife had to say, "shut up, Simon, I can't hear the baby's HB"!

Also a lot of women opt for it as in these days of equal opportunities, they too are afraid of the consequences of having a person climb out of their nether regions.

Caesarian born, bottle fed, child-minder raised... why don't we just grow them in a lab somewhere and pick them up when they are 16? :confused:

Simon, that sounds like you had a fantastic experience! You are right about labour starting and stopping, when I was born (2 weeks late) they joked that I had decided to roll over and have another 40 winks halfway through.

I was going to say that people were giving birth in caves quite successfully for 100,000 years, but then I realised that the mortality rates were no doubt a lot higher. I am glad to live in an era when a successful outcome is pretty much guaranteed, but when it comes to my turn I think I will definitely be wary of too many drugs and inducing labour.

Exactly. Give loads of pain relief to Mum, and you're not telling me it doesn't affect the baby via the umbilical?

If the mother does not have high BP or other complications, there is absolutely no reason why a home birth should not be an option. Some trusts are realising this: it is far cheaper to send midwives out for a home birth than to bring people in.

But a lot of midwives and health professionals you speak to say "oh, have your first baby in hosptal and if that goes OK, we'll think about allowing you to have your second at home!"

This is what we were told - patronising b*gger!! In fact, it is every woman's right to have a baby at home - they cannot refuse you. But again, a lot of midwives are quick off the mark - They will allow you to start at home then present some "complications" as an excuse to bring you in.

No names, but I know a midwife who was planning a home birth, and she was told by another midwife that she used this ploy. Disgusting.

I suppose the risk is that if something goes badly wrong ..... The required equipment / expertise will not be at hand ... The consequences of this will have to be upon the shoulders of the parents .... The big question, in the event of disaster could one live with that ? After all, the child must come first ... and be given every chance.

Everyone in the trade seems to be running not a little scared due to litigation etc.

P

Yes, I agree, but as I said in a previous post, if you have no complications during pregnancy, there is no reason to suspect any problems during birthing, but if there are, the midwife will of course call an ambulance and go into hospital.

Julie had no complications during her previous pergnancies, and none now, so we don't expect any problems.

Agreed about the litigation. Insurance for midwives doing homebirths is extortionate and may even become unaffordable in the near future.

But it shows how much people know about home birth. Our midwife, when renewing her insurance, was asked "will you be carrying out cesars at home?"

Berk!!

Sponsored Links
Back