So the art of tidy installation isn't quite dead then

Cable ties.
As I said ... 'grouping'?
Some of the wires look a bit short to me, making it hard for future adaptations.
And that, of course, is another of the prices paid for beautiful neatness. I must confess that I personally usually sacrifice some neatness in order to facilitate later re-termination and/or modification.

Kindest Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Heres one of mine.

P1000392.jpg

Galvanised gutter bolt on the banjo - oohh - now that's a mark down in my book!

Sponsored Links
Do you do a lot of board changes? :confused:
Definitely not (at least, not in recent years), but I'm not talking only of CUs - rather of any situations when cables are terminated within some sort of enclosure, including situations of ELV/signal/data cables.

Kind Regards, John.

Dam you spotted the galv bolt!! :) I always Hoover out the bottom of my boards before finishing and hadn't done it when I took thus picture!

You will note that one thing I did not criticise rcd1976 for was the neatness of his work - skills like that, unlike getting design parameters and testing regimes etc correct, do take time and practice to acquire.

It remains to be seen whether the increasingly (but slowly) imminent BAS Towers CU replacement will grace these pages....
nervous.gif

Board changes are harder than new jobs.

I'd rather end up with a board with wires stretched across and not very neat than one with joints if needs be.

Oh well - there ya go.

The plan for mine is a lot of joints in the form of an enclosure with DIN rail terminals above the new board.

These are all well and good but they are 3 phase boards with plenty of room and only a few RCBO's try making such a neat job on a typical domestic board full of RCBO's, unfortunately there is just not enough room.
I wuz gonna say that.

Until

Here's one I did in a large domestic a couple of years ago

keithDB2.jpg

bowdown.gif

I have to admit, I somehow/conveniently missed that picture, that is very very tidy.

I have one question for RF though. If I went to test that board, say a few years down the line and wanted to test earth continuity on a ring final with r1+r2, have you marked or distinguished which Live/Neutral/Earth belongs to each leg? I usually just give the wires a tug until I can see the sheath moving and then work back from there to find which wires belong together but It looks like the wires come from behind and are too well hidden. Its probably a stupid question but if I dont ask I will never know.

Maybe it's the CU equivalent of that 1970's Monteverdi (IIRC) where you had to remove the engine to change the spark plugs... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back