Sour dough bread

Sponsored Links
How much flour did you use.
Let me know what quantity, will work out ingredient amounts for your next bake.

After making dough, I let it rest for two hours, added salt and kneaded the dough for about 5 minutes.
After that 5 or 6 stretch and folds to strengthen the dough. To finally half the dough as in pictures above.

Bench rest for 1 hour and final shaping at 10.30.
From starter.
20240313_201356.jpg

I did my first pot 80, 80, 80 by mistake and that's what I made my bread with.
I also did a starter as shown
80, 80, 30

My dough was as:

20240313_201417.jpg

Maybe I need to concentrate on my Needing and folding.

Do not know what the author is getting at
I do not use sugar or honey.
Ingredient amounts are what I would use.
Hydration is low, I would add 375 gm of water to 500 gm flour, then I am used to handling dough like that
How did you create dampness in the oven during oven spring stage?

Compare the starter surface between your starter and mine. I suspect your culture needs strengthening.
How long did you prove the dough for?

image.jpg

Yogurt you used is active culture hence required very little work to prepare the culture
The crumb should not have large holes like caves, there should be an even mix of bubble holes across the slice devoid of dense dough

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm working in grams

How did you create dampness in the oven during oven spring stage?

Got the oven to temperature. I quickly put the Dough in and pours water in tye tin below. I may not have got enough in there.

@DP
What happens if I miss a day or two feeding. Just been a stressful week and finding time is hard.

Put the starter in the fridge.
If it has not been in the fridge, take 30 gm out of the jar, add 30 flour and 30 water, stir and place in fridge. No more feeding required till you need to make bread.
Post 91 is an example of prepairing preferment

Put the starter in the fridge.
If it has not been in the fridge, take 30 gm out of the jar, add 30 flour and 30 water, stir and place in fridge. No more feeding required till you need to make bread.
Post 91 is an example of prepairing preferment

Because of time and life. I'm now going to refrigerate.
● Once out of the fridge, do I need to let the starter warm up?
● After feeding do I put straight back in fridge ?

Because of time and life. I'm now going to refrigerate.
● Once out of the fridge, do I need to let the starter warm up?
● After feeding do I put straight back in fridge ?

Culture needs feeding every 24 hours when it is at ambient temperature
Activity is slow during winter and faster in summer.

Starter stored in fridge, activity will a lot slower, started frozen, activity will be in hibernation

What you are at present storing in the fridge*. Take 33 gm out of that container, add 33 flour and 33 water to it. This is 99 gm that you need to make bread. At room temperature it will take take 6-8 hours to peak ( double in height ( marked with rubber band). When at peak, use it to make dough. You do not need to warm the culture- prepare above mix and addition below in one step. ( take about 2 minutes)

* you removed 33 gm from the culture jar.
Add 16 gm flour and 16 gm water to it and mix ie you replacing what you took out of the culture jar. Restore jar to fridge

Since you are busy, plan you bread making around you daily life rather than let the bread making control your schedule.

You know the culture will peak in around 6 hours and dough will also be ready for next stage in similar time to be stored in the fridge to bake when you are ready

Preheat the oven 250 degrees and drop the temperature to 220 when dough is placed in the oven

I was thinking of making some sourdough. After reading this, I think I’ll just buy some instead….

I was thinking of making some sourdough. After reading this, I think I’ll just buy some instead….

It seems a complicated task, once the process is understood, making a loaf should not encroach on one’s daily routine- fact remains proper artisan sourdough is quite expensive, yet home made sourdough is a joy to make, better bread and joy to consume too. Supermarket sourdough bread leaves one wanting

Made some yesterday, total time hardly more than 15 minutes, now all I need is to bake it. A large loaf and a small one both with caraway seeds that my wife loves. Last two had seed mix in bread that we have enjoyed as toasted and with soup too. Recent bake was feta cheese and dill. Not may shops will stock similar.

Last edited:
Some complain that pricey sourdough is elitist and pretentious. Others lambast cheap sliced white as unhealthy and unsustainable. The cheapest loaf in my nearest supermarket costs 45p. The cheapest loaf in my local artisanal bakery costs £5. Which of these facts winds you up?

Dip yer bread in the Guardian.com

Never in my life have i considered paying a fiver for a loaf of bread but the cheap bread in s.markets makes you wonder why they bothered baking it at all. Terrible stuff. No crunch. Soggy toast is a sin against all things natural. So, about 20 years ago, i learned how to bake and, after much trial and error, i got q. good at it...then i delved into the arcane mystery of sourdough: a sticky trial that lasted a year or two before i lost the will to putter about with keeping a starter bubbling and putting up with natural yeast, so opted for a straightforward recipe that kept things simple: flour; (dried) yeast; sugar and water.

Then Covid hit and everyone and his monkey wanted to bake their own bread making it difficult to find flour or yeast for months - so i had to put up with store bought (Tiger) bread. O! the humanity. Definitely the worst thing about lockdown. So, i guess my question is: how much does it cost to bake your own sourdough and would you go back to store bought bread once you know how to bake?

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
Back