Sour dough bread

Rarely buy bread at supermarket, anytime I do, I regret it.
Lidle sourdough is perhaps best of what stores call sourdough.

39AA2C66-D9C3-4287-9986-1237D82FC319.jpeg

Gladly pay £5.00 for this one. Ones I can make, would not pay £5.00 for those as mine are nearly as good and some sourdough breads are lacking. Same with coffee- loath to pay £3.50 for a cup when can get better bean for a little more and make coffee with the Sage coffee maker
Do not care for heavy flour dusting on above loaf

This morning baked three loaves. Flour amount was 1800 gm, caraway seed two loaves, final has seed mix
Sticky fingers? Not any more
Have reached a level where can tell when different stages have been reached.
I am striving for betterment. Want to attend next sourdough Workshop to better the skill

Sponsored Links
i had to put up with store bought (Tiger) bread. O! the humanity. Definitely the worst thing about lockdown.
I think those that caught the 'rona and either died of it or are still suffering from long covid would disagree with you. ;)

I had a seeded sourdough from Lidl the other week. Very nice and only £1.90.

It's like having fake tit's. Looks great from a distance, but like sucking a dummy

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
In preparation for out bread and our sourdough Yorkshire pudding tomorrow.
20240323_165150.jpg
20240323_165156.jpg
20240323_165146.jpg

• Thanks
Bod, that starter has peaked, you need starter that is on the strong.
By the time you use that starter, it will have lost its punch

Bod, that starter has peaked, you need starter that is on the strong.
By the time you use that starter, it will have lost its punch

I'm starting baking Sunday. That was after a feed.

Should it not be ok?

I'm starting baking Sunday. That was after a feed.

Should it not be ok?
Starter needs to be at peak activity
When it is fed, the natural yeast starts to ‘feed’ on the carbs and creates bubbles that are trapped in the gluten creating a sponge like mix. This results in the surface of the starter to push upwards creating a surface that is convex.

Upward push finally stops to then start dropping
When this happens. The shrinking marks side of the container that is evident in your picture.

You can use the starter but the activity will be inferior. Best to use the starter when the activity is at its peak.

Unfed starter when fed and mixed, mark the surface with a rubber band or other means. At its peak the starter will be twice the height, more even ( that is what I look for)

Post 91 and 92. Post 91- surface short of 200 marking on the jug
Post 92. Surface not flat but rising. Will hit 400 mark before the collapse starts

Take bit of your starter and drop it into water. If it floats, go ahead with your Sunday task
If it sinks, still go ahead, will be experience building and you will still have a loaf but will be dense

Thursday bake started on Wednesday evening. From the starter in the fridge, removed 47 gm into a jug
Added 47 water and 47 flour. Restored what I removed from the culture container and put it back in the fridge where as the 141 gm mix was placed in a cool place overnight.
Thursday morning added 141 gm water and 141 gm flour to 141 in the jug and placed mix in a warmer place
5.5 hours later the mix had double and still rising.

By Thursday the loaf sizes were revised. Dough for two loaves 1100 gm needing 220 starter
Big loaf dough was to be 750 gm needing 150 gm starter but in jug I had 423 gm ( too much)
1100 mix was to be caraway seed loaves and 750 seed mix

Mixed flour for 750 loaf with 150 stater amount
Rest I used for 1100 gm dough with 273 gm starter.

Now I had one mix that had running shoes on and 750 mix walking shoes.

12 hours later dough shaped and in three benetons, placed in fridge.
Baked on Friday.

Had friends over yesterday. Gave them on loaf sliced. Her sister coming today. She will take the other loaf.
750 loaf sliced and waiting to be consumed, some taken by daughter last night, two slices will be toasted and buttered for breakfast now

Should I feed it again like I normally would then. After a while start the process in creating bread?

It did sink

Last edited:
Should I feed it again like I normally would then. After a while start the process in creating bread?

It did sink
Remove 33 gm from the container, add 33 flour and 33 water, mix, mark surface and place in warm place
About 2.00 pm get ready for dough stage.

Remove 33 gm from the container, add 33 flour and 33 water, mix, mark surface and place in warm place
About 2.00 pm get ready for dough stage.
I had started before I read this. I did ½ 80 80.

I'll let this sit and start about 1 or 2.

I think next time round I'll follow your recipe and measurements.

Like you say this is a learning curve.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back