Sour dough bread

Thanks so much DP and Mr Chibs, well done Bod...
What you are doing is so important in our sliced white bread world.
In San Francisco at Fisherman's Wharf a wise guy family used to bake the worlds best sourdough.
Maybe, judging by your mouth watering photos, you guys are catching up on them. Forgettaboutit!

The little ones always wanted warm Sourdough & French bread (Baguettes) for pic-nics.
The inside dough was ransacked as soon as they got in the car, and they then filled the crusts with creamy cheese & those appalling tiny cooked sausages & all kinds of other cooked meats, whatever! - my attempts to slip in some rabbit food was always spotted & rejected. The littlest one "I'm going to tell Nana that your making us eat grass".

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
I hope all this posting is going to be helpful and budding bakers will come back with their ideas that make the whole exercise worthwhile

Butter is Cornish butter from Lidle.
Bread out of the freezer is grilled at 180 for 9 minutes one side and 4 minutes other. Comes out great. Toaster is rubbish unless you guys have one that does a good job.

Even the grandkids 4.5 and 6.5 year old ask “ papa can we have sourdough”- little darlings

What do you call a good toaster?

(It's not a joke)

@DP
Does this look right.

I started Sunday. Today it's taken off. I fed them this afternoon and they have near enough doubled.

I've tightened the lids as I think it may overflow.

View attachment 335843View attachment 335844
Well done. You are there
Do not tighten the lid, let the starter do what it wants. It most likely is at its peak, will soon start to drop as the live culture runs out of ‘food’

I would freeze one lot and keep the other in the fridge.
You have got way too much starter.

OR, use one lot to make bread.

What quantity do you have in each jar, will suggest what you need to make first loaf

Looked at the pictures again. The starter has peaked, will now start to drop

Last edited:
What do you call a good toaster?

(It's not a joke)
I have got a bread slicer
Regardless, every morning two slices are placed under a grill at 180 degrees for 9 minutes, flipped over for 4 minutes, Cornish butter from Lidle

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much DP and Mr Chibs, well done Bod...
What you are doing is so important in our sliced white bread world.
In San Francisco at Fisherman's Wharf a wise guy family used to bake the worlds best sourdough.
Maybe, judging by your mouth watering photos, you guys are catching up on them. Forgettaboutit!

The little ones always wanted warm Sourdough & French bread (Baguettes) for pic-nics.
The inside dough was ransacked as soon as they got in the car, and they then filled the crusts with creamy cheese & those appalling tiny cooked sausages & all kinds of other cooked meats, whatever! - my attempts to slip in some rabbit food was always spotted & rejected. The littlest one "I'm going to tell Nana that your making us eat grass".
Ree good to see you posting from other side of the pond
Welcome to the forum

My grand children are 400 miles south of me
When I go visiting, I take couple of loaves with me.
How old are the children- mine are 5 and 7

Well done. You are there
Do not tighten the lid, let the starter do what it wants. It most likely is at its peak, will soon start to drop as the live culture runs out of ‘food’

I would freeze one lot and keep the other in the fridge.
You have got way too much starter.

OR, use one lot to make bread.

What quantity do you have in each jar, will suggest what you need to make first loaf

Looked at the pictures again. The starter has peaked, will now start to drop
I made so much to for an experiment more so.

So your saying after a week I can make Bread from today?

I made so much to for an experiment more so.

So you’re saying after a week I can make Bread from today?

Your starter has peaked and is now surface will start to go down.
If you make a loaf, the dough flour will be more food for the culture, which itself will double in size, more even, thereafter ready to bake

Propitious are based on flour to make bread. Starter is 20%, water- aim for 68-70% and salt is 2%

As said, how much starter do you have there? 200 gm will require 1000 gm flour

My receipt utilises 1000 white, 100 wholemeal or any other flour, 200 gm starter and 750 gm water

Your starter has peaked and is now surface will start to go down.
If you make a loaf, the dough flour will be more food for the culture, which itself will double in size, more even, thereafter ready to bake

Propitious are based on flour to make bread. Starter is 20%, water- aim for 68-70% and salt is 2%

As said, how much starter do you have there? 200 gm will require 1000 gm flour

My receipt utilises 1000 white, 100 wholemeal or any other flour, 200 gm starter and 750 gm water
So best for now use ½ for making Bread and the other ½ I can either freeze or continue to feed?

So best for now use ½ for making Bread and the other ½ I can either freeze or continue to feed?
You have two jars what quantities in each jar.
One I would place in the fridge ( what amount for next stage?)
What you place in the fridge, you could either use most of that for making bread leave some behind. This residue, add same weight of water and flour, mix and put in fridge. All depends on amount you have there. I keep 100 gm in fridge. There are times when I make three loaves, 550, 550 and 750. Will post picture of the big loaf sometimes.

When making three loaves, starter amount is 360 gm. I will make 120 overnight and then 360 final to make the loaves. Thus starter is raring to go

Other I would freeze some and dry some.

It's actually moving.

20240310_142413.jpg
20240310_142409.jpg

In preparation for my first real attempt at making sourdough tomorrow.

This is my Doe. Still got a bit of folding to do then rest in the fridge overnight

Do not see the dough picture.

It didn't rise or expand as much as the last one.
IMG-20240310-WA0014.jpeg

I'm not sure what I did wrong but once out of the oven it was a bit soft on the bottom.
20240311_075810.jpg

It was still nice toasted and on without toasting. Just a little bit chewy.

20240311_075355.jpg

In the oven 10 mins longer than recommend in an attempt to get the base right.

20240311_170056.jpg
20240311_170354.jpg

Attachments

• 20240311_170104.jpg
    20240311_170104.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 9
Not bad for first effort Bod
Modifying your procedure will improve your bake.
Bake in a closed container like a pot with a lid or casserole dish with lid

The starter reaches peak in about 6 hours
Dough will do the same. When dough ready for final shaping, it will be jiggly like a jelly

Bet it tastes nice.

Sponsored Links
Back