Sour dough bread

So as not to confuse myself and the readers, I will call the '100' gm culture in the fridge- "Culture"
The mix that is prepared with culture to make bread, calling it Starter

All ingredients are proportional to amount of flour used. Let the flour amount be for this example be 1000gm
Starter will 20% (220gm), Water called hydration level (I set it at 75% your hydration can be lower 65% all the way to sticky 100%)) and salt is 2%- 20gm

Starter
For 500gm, starter** needs 33gm culture, 33gm water and 33 gm flour (total 99gm close enough to 100gm that is required)
Mix well and leave on the worktop. With active culture, the starter will more than double in height in around 5 hours at this time of the year. Warmer days will make the reaction faster, colder temperature reaction will be longer hence culture kept in the fridge else it would need feeding everyday
** Remember you have removed 33gm from culture jar. To restore the 'loss' add 16.5gm flour and 16.5 gm water and mix well. Return culture container to the fridge.

The culture will become active feeding on the flour mix, the surface of the mix will become convex as the mix rises. The surface will then go flat when the reaction peaks and as the food source for the culture is exhausted, surface goes concave and mix starts to collapse

When stater is at its peak, add 375gm of water to it and mix well. Pour mix onto the flour and mix well ensuring no dry flour base of container. Let the dough rest (Hydrate) for an hour

Add salt 10gm. Work salt into the dough. Remove dough out of the container and stretch and fold the dough till you notice the laminations created by salt addition are removed. Look at youtube clips on this process. Return dough to the bowl

After half an hour, grab hold of the dough in the container, stretch it (not breaking the dough) and fold it over the dough, do this around the dough five or six times. Gluten bond is being stretched, dough starts to resist the stretching action

This action is carried out every half hour, total 5 or 6 times. Now let the dough rest.

from time dough was made , 5 hour later the dough will have risen and will be jiggly like jelly. Search finger poke test
Youtube for further viewing

Next stage youtube for guidance on how to shape dough ready for baking

Whatever shape final dough, store in fridge overnight or till ready to bake. This is where flavours will be enhanced.

Baking option for me is two cast iron pots. I preheat the oven to 250 degrees with pots in the oven
When oven at temperature, remove pots and place dough in the pot. Score the dough surface to create weakness, lid on, into the oven. Temperature reduced to 220. Bake for 30 minutes. Lid off further bake for 15 minutes. remove pot and loaf. Enjoy

Other option is Create steam in the oven during the 30 minute bake by placing ice cubes, water bath or various other options. Reason for this is to stop formation of crust during oven spring till the final bake.

Cast iron pots- dough bakes in dampness that is trapped in the pot during lid on bake

Sponsored Links
View attachment 306974 View attachment 306975

Hot out the oven.

Unlike DP, my folding technique is poor, this was slashed with a small 'X' on the top before it went in the oven.

My starter is 100% wholemeal, the loaf is light malt & white flour, sometimes I sling in some wholemeal or whatever wants using up.
Nice loaf
Made two loaves with Feta cheese and dill

Time is 9.40am
IMG_5526.jpeg

Prepared starter to make bread
Flour (whole meal) added to jug
IMG_5528.jpeg

Culture in small jar that sits in the fridge (liquid on the surface was mixed into the culture before use)

IMG_5529.jpeg

66gm culture added to jug from above jar is replaced with 33gm flour (I use 1:1 mix of whole meal and white flour for this) and 33 water. Mix well. Return jar to fridge
IMG_5530.jpeg

66gm culture from small jar is added to the jug- 66 gm flour already in the jug- total 133gm
66gm water added and mixed well - will be around 200 gm total (20%)

Last edited:
I cheated this morning:

IMG_5183.jpeg

:ROFLMAO: Still planning on making my own though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
IMG_5531.jpeg

The culture jar that sits in the fridge
Restored 33gm flour and added 33 gm water to replace 66gm removed earlier
IMG_5532.jpeg

Culture jar. The additions to jar are mixed and culture returned to fridge until it is required again
IMG_5533.jpeg

The jug starter is sloppier since flour I have used is all wholemeal

IMG_5534.jpeg

A little difficult to read but the graduation is 0.25 pint. Will let the starter ferment and will post further timeline pictures

Last edited:
Will look forward to timings etc, my technique is similar-ish, although I put everything but the salt in, to sit around for a morning.

Will try your method, will be interesting to see if it's any better(y)

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
IMG_5534.jpeg

From quarter pint mark starter rose to past 1/2 pint mark as sown in picture below
Notice the air bubbles the culture has created in the mix. This active ferment will result in even spread of holes in the finished loaf
IMG_5535.jpeg

IMG_5539.jpeg

Note the surface is flat as I have allowed the starter to peak; reaction slows down and the starter comes to a stop hence the mix against the glass is same level as the rest of the surface. If the starter is not utilised, the surface of the mix would collapse.
Earlier picture of jar with culture- there was a liquid floating atop the culture. This is the indication that the culture is ”starving”, it needs food ( flour and water). This is the main reason why people who do not put their culture in a cold place like a fridge, need to feed it every day
IMG_5540.jpeg
IMG_5541.jpeg

Will Be making two loaves
One is 500gm strong white and 25 gm wholemeal
Other is 175gm porridge oats blitzed to flour and 375gm white strong. Never made such a loaf. Will see how that turns out.

Last edited:
Two doughs mixed
IMG_5540.jpeg
IMG_5541.jpeg

Then allowed to hydrate

IMG_5542.jpeg
IMG_5543.jpeg

Last edited:
Above dough was allowed to hydrate
Salt spindled on the dough
IMG_5544.jpeg

Then salt worked into the dough
IMG_5545.jpeg

Half hour later white flour dough
IMG_5546.jpeg

And dough with porridge flour
IMG_5547.jpeg

After half hour dough is stretched and folded
IMG_5549.jpeg
IMG_5549.jpeg
IMG_5550.jpeg

As dough is stretched and folded, it is getting less sticky and has a bounce
IMG_5551.jpeg
IMG_5552.jpeg

Odd air bubble is indicated time for next process

Last edited:
IMG_5553.jpeg

This is at 8.30 pm
Dough removed from bowl to the work top
IMG_5554.jpeg
IMG_5555.jpeg

Dough is stretched at each of the four compass points, folded to the middle, dough flipped with “seam” at the bottom
Using scrapper, dough ball shaped
IMG_5556.jpeg

Dough with lower hydration ( using oats flour), ball shape has less collapse

Will look forward to timings etc, my technique is similar-ish, although I put everything but the salt in, to sit around for a morning.

Will try your method, will be interesting to see if it's any better(y)
By comparison one improves one’s technique

image.jpg

Dough relaxed after one hour
Final shaping is as follows
image.jpg

Strong white and other is shown below
image.jpg

Compare height
image.jpg

Now placed in benettons for proofing in the fridge

Seems I've got more to learn, I've never let the dough rest before slapping into the banneton.

Everyday's a school day :LOL:

PS, love the worktop is it corian?

Heated oven to 250 degree C with two cast iron pots in the oven
Dough out of the fridge. Both had risen, one with oatmeal more so but white flour dough had better spring and softened when poked with finger
IMG_5558.jpeg
IMG_5559.jpeg

Once oven to temperature dough placed in pot and scored
IMG_5561.jpeg
IMG_5560.jpeg
IMG_5562.jpeg

Lid on, into the oven
Temperature reduced to 220 and baked for 30 minutes
IMG_5563.jpeg
IMG_5564.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links