Sour dough bread

Half hour later the lids are removed
image.jpg

Sponsored Links
15 minutes later
image.jpg
image.jpg

Loaf on left has better oven spring

Strong flour is from Costco. Strangely previous bag resulted in far better oven spring despite source of flour being Marriages brand

• Thanks
Reactions: ree
Nice, thanks for the update, just photo's needed of when you cut them open :D

Surprising the oat one has risen so well, I will have to try this too.

I'm using Shipton Mill for flour, Canadian white, light malt and wholemeal, think Marrriages is Canadian.

SWMBO was out for her morning walk
By this time the loaves were warm. She could not resist the Oatmeal one
image.jpg

image.jpg

I to have ordered from Shipton mill
I like the French flour
Order to Shipton is always more than £30.00 for free delivery which comprises 25kg bag and other flours
Since Shipton changed the ordering schedule, easier to pop into Costco for 15kg bag

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
I hope all this posting is going to be helpful and budding bakers will come back with their ideas that make the whole exercise worthwhile

Butter is Cornish butter from Lidle.
Bread out of the freezer is grilled at 180 for 9 minutes one side and 4 minutes other. Comes out great. Toaster is rubbish unless you guys have one that does a good job.

Even the grandkids 4.5 and 6.5 year old ask “ papa can we have sourdough”- little darlings

• Thanks
Good crumb, where's the butter? o_O :LOL:
Obviously, going by flour source, you are not a newby to art of making bread
What do you make and how long have you been making sourdough

Last edited:
You flatter me, but I still feel like a newbie, been making for a few years now.

Your notes & photos are excellent. I like the fact your stored starter is very small, I'm going to wind mine down now, each time I bake.
Will try the oat business too.

I believe one of the main things that puts folk off making their own SD is the drawn out process... I've now got mine down to a few minutes here and there.
I gave up on stretching etc, only as I couldn't really fit it in to my work schedule.

I will try the grilled version, as my toaster always seems heavy handed on the crusts! That said, it rarely makes it to the freezer :giggle:

Good you've got the grandkids educated, that's a great sign... you can't beat home made bread.(y)

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Some flavoured breads I have made
cheese and caramelised onions
cheese and sundries tomatoes
dill and feta cheese
black bread with calamata olives
cranberry and wallnuts
cranberry and cashewnuts
seeded various types.
use some milk for softer texture
above is what I can remember.

Sourdough making does not need tone cumbersome.
Understanding the technique and interaction with temperature is essential to fit the bake into ones schedule

So, on say the dill and feta bread, how much D&F goes in... do you lower the flour/water amount or is the 'filling' extra?

Filling extra.
Only made it once as daughter had asked.
Turned out should have put the whole packet of feta cheese.
Dill, wife decided the amount so no clue there.
Next time dill will go in with flour and cheese at final proof and then shaped and stored in fridge.

I went to a workshop long time ago run by a baker. One of his bakes had roast potatoes and rosemarie

Fancy doing the advanced course run by Shipton Mill.

Has anyone who read this post make any pread?
I’ve been reading through this thread in conjunction with watching the YouTube channel below

The guy has a youtube video on a no knead sourdough which I’m thinking of trying.

I like his method of keeping a small amount of sourdough

@DP
Does this look right.

I started Sunday. Today it's taken off. I fed them this afternoon and they have near enough doubled.

I've tightened the lids as I think it may overflow.

20240308_190132.jpg
20240308_190145.jpg

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Back