Speed kills?

But at 90mph you have got two cars hurtling along out of control after hitting each other.

Sponsored Links
Charge all the foreign HGV's for using our roads and put the money into driver training, from what i can tell (and admittedly its not much) the current driving test is too theory heavy and not practical enough. Its hard to believe you can pass your test without driving on a motorway or driving in the dark, both should be compulsory stages in completing a full license.
Improving driving standards has to start at point of entry to the system and should be continued throughout a driving career, you start trying to make something idiot proof and they go and make a better class of idiot, education is the key.

Before re-training i spent ten years on the road driving all over the country, at the time i noticed that a lot of accidents starting happening from about 3 o'clock onwards or about the time the reps started running late

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKBOWyiAhro

When I watched this ..............heck if I were driving the bus what would I do ?????

The stowaway in the back of the truck at the pumps must have crapped himself!

I've got my own theory about speed and stopping distances. I understand that stopping distances are designed to enable you to stop your car safely if the car in front slams on the brakes, but I doubt if anyone ever adheres to these rules, particularly on motorways.

So...If two cars are travelling at 90mph with a gap of only two feet between them, and the front car slams on the brakes, the car behind will hit hit the other car at 90mph, so probably an impact speed of about 10mph, until they both come to a stop.

If the cars are travelling at 90mph with a gap of say thirty feet and the front car slams on the brakes, it will slow down quite a bit before the car behind hits it and probably the driver hasn't had enough time to react which means the impact speed would be much higher, maybe 50mph.

I'm not suggesting that we all leave a two foot gap between us and the car in front but think there must be point where stopping distances improve your chances the closer you get.

Anyone clever enough to work that out mathmatically to see if it's true?

the trouble you have is the people driving that close in general are fairly brain dead individuals rather than moderately intelligent people taking part in a well controlled experiment
so the outcome will be a disaster as little or no safety control is in place

yes i do understand what you are saying as in a close crash is a moderate impact crash but only if you are on rails
otherwise a disaster looms as the person behind is purely a passinger as no reaction time is possible at close range

Sponsored Links
Before re-training i spent ten years on the road driving all over the country, at the time i noticed that a lot of accidents starting happening from about 3 o'clock onwards or about the time the reps started running late

I believe you actually meant the school run mummies were on the reads at that time.

What about the second lane morons? They drive along at 60/65 mph with no one else in sight.

What about the second lane morons? They drive along at 60/65 mph with no one else in sight.
And don't forget the angry stare they give you when you pass them in the inside lane, like it's you in the wrong.

And don't forget the angry stare they give you when you pass them in the inside lane, like it's you in the wrong.

Is it now legal to pass someone on the inside lane, irrespective of what speed they are doing?
You can't zig zag between lanes to pass them but if you are tootling along at say 65 in the first lane and some numb nuts dawdling along at a slower speed in the 2/3 lanes then yes, you can pass them.
It's the zig zagging that's not allowed.

You cannot simply go past them on the inside even if driving within the speed limit the rules have been tightened to specifically make prosecution possible as the rulings are not specific.

United Kingdom - The Highway Code discourages undertaking on motorways with some exceptions (rule 268): "Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake". Undertaking is permitted in congested conditions when frequent lane changing is not recommended.[4] On other roads, the Code advises drivers "should only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right" (rule 163).[5] Rule 163 uses advisory wording and "will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted", but may be used in evidence to establishing liability in any court proceedings.[6] On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving. Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences.

If the mindless morons would adhere to the highway code and not hog the overtaking lanes on the motorways then we would be unable to overtake on the left hand side.

You cannot simply go past them on the inside even if driving within the speed limit the rules have been tightened to specifically make prosecution possible as the rulings are not specific.

Possible but not specific.

My reply was a generalisation with enough detail to make clear.

Oh, and i got my information from the Police driving Instructor thank you.

Sponsored Links
Back