Speed Limit Signs

Sponsored Links
It's actually 200 yards; and there has to be a system of "carriageway" lights not "footway" lights. This all depends on the height of the light. If the lights are less than 13ft high, they are automatically "footway" lights. Between 13 and 20 ft they are "footway" lights if over 50yds apart and "carriageway" lights if less than 50 yds apart. Lights over 20 ft high are "carriageway" lights, but also have to be no more than 200yds apart.

Anyone measured the height and spacing of the lights when they got done?
Hang on, I'll get my laser measure. :rolleyes:

What about wattage of lamps? This must have some bearing on it. What if they have used them new fangled metal halide lamps with their crisp white light? Or compact fluorescent? :evil:

Sponsored Links
In theory missing repeaters shouldn't be a problem because the signs as you enter a restriction should inform you. But if that was the case in practice, there would be no such thing as repeaters!

I've noticed a few missing repeaters too. Dunno if its any sort of mass conspiracy, but the only places I've noticed them missing are places where I'm unsure of what the speed limit sign read because it's missing or obscured.

The presence of an impatient local 6 inches off my back bumper usually indicates I am travelling well below the speed limit though! :LOL:

When I first joined the Old Bill my first Chief Inspector of the rural station I was posted to was an old fashioned bear, who joined up just after the war.

He had a rule that it was each individual officers job to ensure that every road sign in his beat area was clear of roadside foliage, was clean and visible and was sited as per the law.

If he spotted just one that wasn't up to his high standards the penalty was a week of night shift and cone laying and collecting for that week.

I learnt quickly. :LOL:

In theory missing repeaters shouldn't be a problem because the signs as you enter a restriction should inform you. But if that was the case in practice, there would be no such thing as repeaters!

There absolutely has to be signeage at the point where you enter a reduced limit. Repeaters are useful if you fail to notice the change or have the memory of a goldfish, but then that's poor driving.

Sponsored Links
Back