Speed Limit Signs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you noticed on any stretches of road near you that the repeaters are missing?

There are a lot round here that are lit with lamp posts, but don't have repeaters, so you think it's a 30 zone, only to find x miles down the road that you come into a 30 zone.

Perhaps they have deliberately failed to fit or replace them to try and reduce speeds?

Or am I just a cynical untrusting kinda person? ;)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Where there is no street lighting, the default limit is 60 mph for single-carriageway and 70 mph for dual carriageway roads. This is referred to as the "National Speed Limit" (NSL), and entry to these zones is marked by the familiar "derestriction" sign with a diagonal black stripe on a white background. Repeater signs are not normally used but are not specifically prohibited.
Any other limit requires roadside repeater signs at regular intervals prescribed by law. The mere fact that a road runs through an urban or rural area makes no difference to the speed limit - it is the presence or absence of street lighting. Thus a lit dual carriageway in a rural environment would have a 30 limit unless signs indicate otherwise, and the speed limit through the snooty Cheshire village of Prestbury, which still refuses to have street lighting, would be 60 in the absence of 30 signs and repeaters.

its the spacing of the lamp posts, less than 200M denotes a 30mph zone by default.

I think what secure is getting at is where the limit is 40 or 50, but the "default" for the type of road would normally be 30. (single carriageway, streetlights, built up)

There are a few places near here where that occurs, and yes, there seems to be a lack of repeaters.

I think what secure is getting at is where the limit is 40 or 50, but the "default" for the type of road would normally be 30. (single carriageway, streetlights, built up)

There are a few places near here where that occurs, and yes, there seems to be a lack of repeaters.

rot

its the spacing of the lamp posts, less than 200M denotes a 30mph zone by default.
It's actually 200 yards; and there has to be a system of "carriageway" lights not "footway" lights. This all depends on the height of the light. If the lights are less than 13ft high, they are automatically "footway" lights. Between 13 and 20 ft they are "footway" lights if over 50yds apart and "carriageway" lights if less than 50 yds apart. Lights over 20 ft high are "carriageway" lights, but also have to be no more than 200yds apart.

Anyone measured the height and spacing of the lights when they got done?

It's all explained in Signing Requirements for Speed Limits

It's actually 200 yards; and there has to be a system of "carriageway" lights not "footway" lights. This all depends on the height of the light. If the lights are less than 13ft high, they are automatically "footway" lights. Between 13 and 20 ft they are "footway" lights if over 50yds apart and "carriageway" lights if less than 50 yds apart. Lights over 20 ft high are "carriageway" lights, but also have to be no more than 200yds apart.

Anyone measured the height and spacing of the lights when they got done?

It's all explained in Signing Requirements for Speed Limits

sorry I went all metric on Steves sorry ass, :LOL:

a copper told me that one 30yrs ago :p

Road signs are an easy target for ******, anything metal, they will have it away.

There are plenty of signs I wish they would nick, like those that warn of slippery road surfaces, despite the fact that the road has been resurfaced a couple of times since the sign went up. Or do they deliberately lay slippery surfaces so that they don't need to take the sign down? :mad:

Lets not forget the ten year old sign telling us that the road layout has changed. :confused:

a copper told me that one 30yrs ago
30 years ago, most coppers would have thought a meter was something you put money in to pay for your gas or electricity. The metre would have been an unknown concept. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back