Backwards or what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a road exiting a village nearby, there is a "speed reducing" device on the road. It consists of a bunch of tarmac ridges, about quarter of an inch high, spaced about 5 inches apart, the whole thing is 5 metres long, painted red. Some may know what i mean or see something similar. It is on the boundary between a 50 and a 30 zone.

I find that driving over it at 50mph, it has little effect on me or the car. The car vibrates at a high frequency due to the speed, and it is much more pleasant than . . .

Driving over it at 30. My car isn't the most solidly built, i'll admit, but at 30, the car rattles and shakes like an old bus, and im thrown about in my seat.

So what is this device then, that seems to actually reward drivers for going at 50 across the 30 signs. What is the point? I actually do 50 over it and then slow down, in the interest of me and my car. And why does it go all the way across the road?

There is also an LED slow down sign here. There have never been any fatal accidents in this village, and the road is straight and long, perfectly fine for 40, the old limit until 2 years ago. Waste of money.

Sponsored Links
sounds like rumble strips.

they are used because sleeping policemen have been known to kill bike riders who do not see them in the dark

Sponsored Links
i meant motorbike, not push bike.

but pushbike rides can come a cropper too

They have had a phase of putting them in around here, then they give the community speed guns and a clipboard so you **** yourself when you see someone dressed in a flourescent yellow jacket with a clipboard pointing a hairdryer at you!!
They have also put some of those LED roadsigns in powered by battery and solar panels or wind turbine!!

Spark123 said:
then they give the community speed guns and a clipboard so you **** yourself when you see someone dressed in a flourescent yellow jacket with a clipboard pointing a hairdryer at you!!

When working nights we regularly park the vans in a side street or farm gateway so you can just see the white wing and then look at speeding motorists through our Thermos flasks whilst wearing our big yellow highway jackets.

Simple things amuse simple minds. :LOL:

My local council have been a laughing stock recently, they built sleeping policeman on either side of a road near a school, they done it in such a way that drivers can drive in between them without touching them :rolleyes:
This road is now more dangerous than before and the council/ contractors cannot afford to rip them up and re position them :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :evil:

One of the best ideas for traffic calming near schools, is a method used in Sweden.
Traffic lights are set up, so that when you approach at speeds faster than the limit, they turn red, forcing you to stop......

trazor said:
One of the best ideas for traffic calming near schools, is a method used in Sweden.
Traffic lights are set up, so that when you approach at speeds faster than the limit, they turn red, forcing you to stop......
Nice :LOL:

They have the humps here, where you can drive in such a way that the wheels go either side of the hump! Only 3 wheelers are affected by them!

I find I can drive over those speed bumps in the van, but with a car, you hit them.

the narrower ones are buses can straddle them.

put yourself in the bus drivers shoes, er seat

Sponsored Links
Back