Speed Limits

Sponsored Links
Why do people bother moaning about it :confused: they are not a problem if you dont speed are they?

No its not a problem, its just annoying when the council turn decent rural roads previously at nat speed limits/50mph's limits into 40's and 30's for no apparent reason and slap cameras on them.

last weekend I did 1500 miles from the UK through France, Belgium, Netherlands and into Germany and passed 3 speed cameras.

Got back to the UK and within 45 minutes I had passed over 50 cameras. :evil:

Why do people bother moaning about it :confused: they are not a problem if you dont speed are they?

No its not a problem, its just annoying when the council turn decent rural roads previously at nat speed limits/50mph's limits into 40's and 30's for no apparent reason and slap cameras on them.

last weekend I did 1500 miles from the UK through France, Belgium, Netherlands and into Germany and passed 3 speed cameras.

Got back to the UK and within 45 minutes I had passed over 50 cameras. :evil:

50 cameras in 45 minutes? surely an exageration. Germany has a lot of speed cameras too, so does Belium.

British drivers are the least likely in Europe to be done for speeding, mainly down to the fact we are more safety concious

Sponsored Links
That's nothing. I once did the 3000 miles from Montreal to London in only 6 hours, and didn't pass a single camera.

Some speed limits are obviously there for safety reasons - however, this obsession with speed cameras / cops leaping out of bushes with lasers is all about cash.

I'd like to bet that there are more accidents on motorways in stop start queues (low speed, but people sitting 2 ft off the bumper in front), than there are in free-flowing traffic. Cameras don't stop dangerous driving, just fast driving.

We all probably know examples of speed limits that bear no relevance to the hazard level of the road, and the perception is then that it's set that way purely to raise revenue. Hardly "winning hearts and minds", is it?

And as an example, why is the road below a 30 zone for it's entire length, often with a laser-totting cop sat on it, if not to raise cash for the council?
No houses, no factories, no schools - just open countryside. It's less than a couple of years old, has kerbs and a path for anyone who'd want to go for a walk in the country but got scared and decided to walk alongside a road instead.

Co-ordinates on Google Maps: 52.67097,-1.999683

Sorry doesn't make sense. The revenue raised is tiny. Chasing non taxed vehicles or raising duty on fuel or 4x4s would raise far more.
People drive stupidly these days. I usually walk up to my GFs place - one hour walk. The number of times idiots try to run me down when I'm crossing T-junctions beggars belief. We have a yob culture that runs right through our society. That's where the real problem in this country lies.

...raising duty on fuel or 4x4s would raise far more...
We are already taxed to the hilt on fuel as it is and why tax 4x4 owners further, when they are already paying more by virtue of getting less mpg (no I don't have one).

By that logic, would you also be increasing council tax, say, for people who choose to live in older, less thermally efficient houses, than modern, featureless, badly-built boxes? What happened to personal freedom? Or would you rather that we all drive around in some dystopian version of a C5? Are you one of those for banning noisy motorbikes and restricting their engine size/bhp as well?

Why is tax and then more tax always seen as the universal panacea?

Yes, there is a yob culture, but not everyone who doesn't want to conform or wants at least some freedom of choice other than to be brow-beaten to comply with some poxy self-indulgent, weasely, hand-wringing set of standards is one by definition.

...raising duty on fuel or 4x4s would raise far more...
We are already taxed to the hilt on fuel as it is
I don't think we are, because car usage is still increasing.

By that logic, would you also be increasing council tax, say, for people who choose to live in older, less thermally efficient houses, than modern, featureless, badly-built boxes?
I would.

What happened to personal freedom?
You have the freedom to pay for what you can afford, not to expect other people to foot the bill.

Why is tax and then more tax always seen as the universal panacea?
Because it is one action with dual benefits:

(1) It raises revenue with which to pay for the effects of car usage.
(2) It curbs excess.

Yes, there is a yob culture, but not everyone who doesn't want to conform or wants at least some freedom of choice other than to be brow-beaten to comply with some poxy self-indulgent, weasely, hand-wringing set of standards is one by definition.
There are types of non-conformist behaviour that affects other people detrimentally, and other types that don't.

The truly weak people are those who are incapable of conforming even when it's for the common good, not those who want to make rules for the benefit of everyone.

I don't think we are, because car usage is still increasing.
And here in the sticks there is no viable alternative to car useage. Or are we all to decant to the bright lights and leave the country to the wild life?

By that logic, would you also be increasing council tax, say, for people who choose to live in older, less thermally efficient houses, than modern, featureless, badly-built boxes?
I would.
Why? Is the proximity to "1984" life standards not close enough for you as it is?

You have the freedom to pay for what you can afford, not to expect other people to foot the bill.
So just throw by me again just how mega-taxing 4x4 owners and anyone else who's chosen lifestyle does not accord with your vision of Valhalla fits into the scheme of things?

Because it is one action with dual benefits:

(1) It raises revenue with which to pay for the effects of car usage.
(2) It curbs excess.
Yep, just like road tax gets used for the purpose for which it was intended..and who's to decide just what excess is? It's entirely subjective. And it would be fine to curb it, if it was replaced with something viable and workable, which it never is, never will be.

The truly weak people are those who are incapable of conforming even when it's for the common good, not those who want to make rules for the benefit of everyone.
That is true: not everyone lives to whatever common standards of decency are judged to be the norm by the majority. But equally, those self-same chavs, benefit scroungers, pikies and so forth are never dealt with in the manner in which the majority of people would wish to see them so dealt.

The tax raised by cameras is negligible. Even if it wasn't I'm all in favour of speeding idiots subsidising the law abiding majority. Aren't you?
Yes I would like noisy motor bikes banned wouldn't you? Imagine if the whole population rode them - we'd all be deaf by now.

Why should some uncaring egotist be allowed to barrel down the road making noise pollution for no good reason? If there is a good reason - let's have it - we'll all take our car exhausts off to celebrate. :rolleyes: And yes, common sense says restrict manufacturers on engine size and performance. Oil is running out - what mountain top do you live on?

So it's up to you. Cut services - or raise taxes. Lets fine the idiots to subsidise the rest.

What racks me off is the lie that speed enforcement is done in the name of safety - if the state were bothered about safety, you'd see a shedload more coppers out there, nicking tailgaters, 'phone users, fag smokers, map readers; the list goes on.

Reality is they've got a much easier time taking cash off speeders, than trying to prove than so-and-so was driving dangerously by being a bit too close to the car in front.

If you hit someone or something at a high speed you'll likely kill them or yourself. Isn't that reason enough to slow down? If a family member were killed by a speeding idiot - bet you'd change your mind PDQ.

What racks me off is the lie that speed enforcement is done in the name of safety - if the state were bothered about safety, you'd see a shedload more coppers out there, nicking tailgaters, 'phone users, fag smokers, map readers; the list goes on.

Reality is they've got a much easier time taking cash off speeders, than trying to prove than so-and-so was driving dangerously by being a bit too close to the car in front.

Truat me, they do fine people for using phone, driving dangerously etc. Actually more than speeding

The police do not get any money from 'speeders' also, just like to point that out

Sponsored Links
Back