Splitting a double room into two, can this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a double bedroom we would like to split into two new rooms so my children can have a bedroom each. My eldest has ASD so is unable to share a room. Please see attached floorplan. I really hope this is possible. There are two built in cupboards which we'd look to have removed so we can have more space to divide up. As you can see there is only a small landing but could a new door be put into a stud wall? How much would say we could expect to pay. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 26405_4567823_FLP_02_0000_max_600x600.jpg
    26405_4567823_FLP_02_0000_max_600x600.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 164
Sponsored Links
Without making A corridor to have two separate doors into two fairly small bedrooms, I’d say no.

Your house layout is very similar to ours'. These are a view examples of what our neighbours have done.

EDIT -- completely misread your post! I thought you wanted to work out the stairs for a loft conversion for some reason...

Nobody on our street has split the two bedrooms as it couldn't be worked out how to do it space-wise. People have gone up or sideways, but understandably it's a far more expensive route.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    30.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    43.5 KB · Views: 75
Sponsored Links
Thank you. Just to be clear do you mean that we couldn't split the bedroom with a stud wall and put a doorway in the new wall?

Thank you. Just to be clear do you mean that we couldn't split the bedroom with a stud wall and put a doorway in the new wall?
You could do that but access to the room nearest the window would be through the other bedroom. May not be a problem for you but could be if you decide to sell

I'm not clued up on regs to be honest, but I would be fairly confident in saying you would have to have both of the 'new' rooms exiting into the existing landing through the use of a corridor. One room couldn't open into the other if that's what you mean.

I'm not clued up on regs to be honest, but I would be fairly confident in saying you would have to have both of the 'new' rooms exiting into the existing landing through the use of a corridor. One room couldn't open into the other if that's what you mean.
I'm not up on the regs either tbh but I'd bet money that you're right.

You can split the bedroom, its your house you can do what you want. I would be more concerned about the shared window? I am sure a small lobby could be contrived for access. Access through bedrooms used to be all the rage in old terraced houses but I suspect the regs forbid it now. A stud wall should be easy to remove if you wish to sell in the future.

Make a sketch with approximate measurements, explain what you want to do and then get a builder round and ask them how much. Get a number of quotes then pick your builder not necessarily the cheapest.

Try to use someone who has completed work for family or friends etc.

One more thought could a joiner/carpenter extend the landing slightly to get two doors in? Or would I need a builder for that?

Building Regulations "Means of Escape" each bedroom has to have it's own Means of Escape, which translates to you cannot enter a bedroom through a bedroom.

The only way to split the room is to put a corridor down the width of the room where the storage cupboards are and then split the remains space length ways to create two rooms, however one room would not have a window for natural light. You could however put a velyx in the roof and create a light well that way possibly.

If you wanted to split it width ways you would have to build a wall from.the centre of the window and form a landing at the current entrance to the bedroom to give each room a point of access.

Can you convert the garage?

Well I'm hoping to have a small corridor run across the back of the room opposite where the current window is and divided the room down the middle with two new Windows. Can't convert garage as we need the bedroom to be upstairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back