Stop Squabbling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And get children back at school, unions are told.

It is damaging their education.

What about saving lives?

The argument is that kids are not as badly affected by the virus and some scientists believe they do not transmit the virus at all.

Anne Longfield has published research on NHS nurseries. This shows that despite remaining open, none have suffered any outbreaks.

What about the risk of transmission between kids and staff? Or what happens when the kids get home to someone who is shielding?

We are either still in a lockdown or we are not. The Govt seem to want it both ways.

Sponsored Links
The gov just want a babysitter for the youngsters so they can go back to work imo. BMA say it's too soon too and I know who I'd rather take my advice from..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52669441

The gov say it's about disadvantaged children having school meals etc. I wonder how much they care about them for 6 weeks in the summer holidays. From what I hear about parents around here, they're not sending their kids back anyway because they don't think it's safe enough yet. Fair enough when they can see in Scotland, Wales and Ireland that the schools are shut until Sept at least.

Not sure if the last 6 weeks until they break up for summer will make much of a difference to the kids education? Esp the youngsters that are learning with play - can that be done at home? But yes, difficult balance for sure - personally I'd err on the side of caution.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if the last 6 weeks until they break up for summer will make much of a difference to the kids education?
I am no expert..Some seem to think every day missed makes a difference.Exam prep...confidence.etc.

I am no expert..Some seem to think every day missed makes a difference.Exam prep...confidence.etc.
A lot of parents can teach at home at such a young age? It's exceptional circumstances and if the BMA say it's too soon & they're isn't the science/knowledge to back up the claim that kids are ok/don't spread coronavirus then I'd rather kids stayed at home.

lot of parents can teach at home at such a young age? It
A lot could not add 2+2...dress and feed kids properly..School is a saviour for them.That is another problem..A national solution to suit every county and every child is impossible..

A lot could not add 2+2...dress and feed kids properly..
Agree, and that's very sad and certainly some people aren't fit to be parents.. But who cares about them when they're on holiday?
As I said, better to err on the side of caution imo in case the virus spreads to their parents, grandparents and the kid is possibly left in a worse situation than missing the last 6 weeks of a school year.

We simply do not know what will happen.

They closed them in the first place because there was transmission. A much much lower proportion of the population are infected carriers now so probability of the kids being exposed is very low. So they have borrowed an idea from a Scandinavian country. Bubbles. A bubble is a group of 15 kids and a teacher so as class sizes are around 30 a class forms 2 bubbles and each only ever see the same teacher and always the same group of kids.

It can work providing all outside the school and the teachers maintain social distancing. Kids too really. That is needed to keep the number of infected carriers down.

Good idea - pass but the reasoning is ok. It's a step taking advantage of what social distancing and lock down has done. Drop social distancing in a bubble and one could infect the lot. It's for 6 weeks, not much education. Lab rats - followed by 6 weeks of school closure due to summer holidays.;) I suspect that fact is significant but asymptotic cases wont be noticed unless they test all bubbles fully.

Biggest problems may well be what happens to members of a bubble out of school.

One Scandinavian country has an interesting idea on schooling. Hours are arranged to allow parents to work. At least that's what a guide told me. Bit different to the UK. Oh want to be a child minder, take out a mortgage on a property, pref a larger sized one and rake in the money while paying for the property and earning a decent income.

My dinner lady neighbour (London) was told to stop working, not only because of the virus but the children being sent to school were few and far between when this all started. Parents just didn't allow them to go. I presume this will happen again come June - many parents just won't do it.

From what I heard on the radio yesterday, the risks are in fact extremely small.

ISTR that known infections in the school paces either did not happen or they were in extremely low numbers.
They mentioned something about 1 infected child being in a school and it not being passed on to others.
Another child got infected by a teacher.
Not a lot else.

We don't yet know if previously-infected people have immunity, nor, if so, how long it lasts.

Nor do we know who's previously (or currently) infected.

So we can't assume that anybody who repeatedly spends time in a group with other people from numerous households, especially those who cannot be relied on to practice distancing and hygene, will not pass the infection on.

ISTR that known infections in the school paces either did not happen or they were in extremely low numbers.

I think you are remembering that children, when infected, are usually mildy ill, or asymptomatic.

Which is not at all the same thing as not being infected, or infectious.

Chilren are extra-dangerous if you don't know they have the disease.

Remember that hardly anyone has been tested.

Dr Jenny Harries was at it again on this subject as well. Washing hand being the most effective way of avoiding catching it. The reason is that people can contaminate objects by breathing and talking by them. Not just coughing and sneezing. A fact mentioned by several virologists. Problem - being against masks for other reason long term now so not keen on backing down. And not that easy to get - from there point of view.

She also dismissed temperature monitoring again. She has backed down on the can't read accurately enough and clearly is no where near an expert on them. She effectively says that the incubation period is too long for them to be of any use. 14 days during which they might infect some one. Couple of problems. Complying with the rules, some wont. Does some one know they have a temperature, how high can it be. It can probably be minor for some time. Do asymtotic people get a bit of one. If monitoring only reduced the time people were mixing it would help.

Once again the east asians are nuts and haven't a clue what they are doing.

:) Teachers and talking, My wife is a retired teacher. Like many she can throw her voice over an incredible distance without any effort at all without shouting.

Sponsored Links
Back