Stopping smoking with Champix - an update!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I'd leave it a little while, just in case I failed in the first few days, but I am happy to announce that I have not had a cigarette for 2 weeks!!!

Already feel fitter and healthier, and really confident that it's for good this time.

It's interesting how the Champix works - you start taking it whilst still smoking and increase your dosage up to full over the first week, having set a date between day 8 and day 14 to quit (I chose day 10). It attaches to the nicotine receptors on the brain and prevents the fags from having an enjoyable effect, whilst relieving any cravings. Certainly worked for me, even before the quit date I'd set I found myself smoking much less and even stubbing out ones I'd just started. On day 10 itself I had just one which I actually didn't want but smoked as a symbolic "last cigarette".

Two weeks on and so far so good, I really don't miss them at all and have already saved £50!

Only bad thing has been the side effects of the pills, I was warned about nausea but I wasn't expecting it to be so bad, about 5-10 minutes after taking them (twice daily) you do feel incredibly sick and peculiar but it passes quickly enough (10mins or so) so you just get used to it. I've also had interrupted sleep and bizarre dreams which are listed in the information as side-effects of the drug but I'm told this is just as likely to be the body's reaction to coming off the nicotine. Should be back to normal in time and overall I think it's worth it...

I'm happy!
:D

Sponsored Links
Careful.....BOB DOLE was on the champers and he ended up in the nick.

Sponsored Links
Good luck to you and keep it up.

I should try it too as it is not doing me any good. :(

How long do you have to take them for...... :?:

11 weeks in total, which to me seems like a long time to be putting up with the seasickness every morning, but I'm going to stick with it because I'm truly amazed by not having any cravings or desire to smoke so I don't want to risk coming off them early, only for them to re-appear!

I thought I'd leave it a little while, just in case I failed in the first few days, but I am happy to announce that I have not had a cigarette for 2 weeks!!!

Already feel fitter and healthier, and really confident that it's for good this time.

Well done!! 5 month since my last fag.. so know how great it feels. I've saved £500. Christ I was smoking £100 a month :oops:
Good luck.

That's fantastic, nine!

I've now been a non-smoker for 13 1/2 years, and really appreciatethe improvement. However, I have put on weight, but don't let that put you off!!

That's fantastic, nine!

I've now been a non-smoker for 13 1/2 years, and really appreciatethe improvement. However, I have put on weight, but don't let that put you off!!
Secure before and after

10048049.jpg

images

A further update...

Remember I said the side effects of the pills were rougher than I expected, and also that I was supposed to carry on taking them until week 11?

Well, by week 5 (two weeks ago) the sickness after taking the morning tablet was getting worse, so bad in fact that it became unbearable. I made a decision.

I'm not a doctor, and I understand that the 11 week thing must be for some sort of a reason - but I thought "Hang on, I've not smoked for 5 weeks, if I stop the tablets now am I really going to wake up tomorrow and think "God, I need a ciggy" and find myself walking to the shop??? Probably not - and if I did, I'd just be able to take another tablet instead of going out for fags!

Around came the next morning, having not taken the tablet the night before, and (as expected) I felt no different whatsoever. Except of course for not feeling nauseous!!!

2 weeks on, feeling fine! Week 7 of not smoking, as far as I'm concerned I'm 100% a non-smoker now. And I've been in quite a few risky (read, drunken) scenarios including the works xmas do.... and not been tempted once.

In fact my biggest worry now is not to turn into one of those horrible ex-smoker faschists - I'm already having to fight the urge when my smoker colleugues come back into the office from their break telling them that they stink!

OK, you've definitely got my attention Ninebob, where can I get Champix from?

From your doctor.

I'm told that some doctors are reluctant to prescribe it however - the friend who recommended it to me had to fib to his and say he'd already tried patches/gum etc etc, but mine didn't question it and put me straight on it.

There's an online support thing which goes with it (log into it every day etc) and whilst it's a bit cheesy there are some good nuggets of info included so it's well worth following.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

P.S. See my other thread? Have you made the connection yet? Yes, that's right... Money saved from 7 weeks not smoking = 1 Nintendo Wii !!! :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back