Strange little situation... any thoughts?

are you aware of what 'bonding' is and why its important?
From the picture, it is not apparent that the bonding is in place.

Nothing wrong with tightening the screws, just so long as you don't tighten them too much (can cause conductors to break)

Lack of CPC in lighting suggests that the cable was installed pre 1966
Diagonal cables hidden in walls.
Bonding not apparent.
CPCs not sleeved in fuse box.
Unidentified wires simply cut off in back boxes.

What other sins are yet to be found?

Have you called a spark yet?

Good news about the switches being plastic at least. ;)

Sponsored Links

I understand the idea of bonding incoming water and gas pipes to earth. And also in the bathroom. Is this what you mean?

If it is, this hasn't been done either. As far as I'm aware, apart from everything the previous homeowner meddled with, the wiring etc. in this house is totally original.

I know that there's a lot of stuff that needs doing, but is it acceptable to wait until the complete rewire in 2013 before any work is done?

I understand the idea of bonding incoming water and gas pipes to earth. And also in the bathroom. Is this what you mean?
yes, thats it. I really is an important safety aspect and should not be overlooked.
If it is, this hasn't been done either. As far as I'm aware, apart from everything the previous homeowner meddled with, the wiring etc. in this house is totally original.
Out of curiosity, how old is the house?
I know that there's a lot of stuff that needs doing, but is it acceptable to wait until the complete rewire in 2013 before any work is done?

If my family were in the house, I wouldn't be happy to leave it as it is. It may not be dangerous as you read this, but who can say what might happen tomorrow to make it sort of a bit on the lethal side. It only takes a moment for electricity to bite hard

Not sure of the exact year but 1960's sometime.

I absolutely hear what you're saying, it does need doing and I'd love the work to be done. I've told my parents of the state of the wiring (yes, I still live with my parents - times are hard!) but they shrug it off as simply too expensive to fix.

I don't think they realise just how bad it is, or what it's supposed to be like if it were in good condition.

But I know they will get the rewire done in 2013 with the fitting of a new kitchen.

However, I'll let them know right now how you guys feel about it as you're all qualified electricians right?

Sponsored Links

Not sure of the exact year but 1960's sometime.

I absolutely hear what you're saying, it does need doing and I'd love the work to be done. I've told my parents of the state of the wiring but they shrug it off (yes, I still live with my parents - times are hard!) as simply too expensive to fix.
A couple of good quality coffins probably cost more than a rewire. This year or next year, what difference does it make? The money still needs to be there somewhere, and if the're planning a kitchen refit, there must be some money in the pipeline somewhere.
I don't think they realise just how bad it is, or what it's supposed to be like if it were in good condition.
understood, its often difficult to tell people that it could bite them fast and without mercy at any point when its 'been ok for 30 years'.
But I know they will get the rewire done in 2013 with the fitting of a new kitchen.
For christ's sake, don't let the kitchen fitters do the rewire. Ask just about any decent spark in the country what they think of KF's work quality.
However, I'll let them know right now how you guys feel about it as you're all qualified electricians right?
Can't speak for everyone here, but I am.

Yeah I know the general view of kitchen fitters just by reading this forum.
I would make sure that only qualified electricians do the work. Parents would probably just get 'a fella from the pub' to do it which I would make sure doesn't happen!

I really have tried to explain to them how urgent they should get the work done but it doesn't seem to sink in.

I've done what I can to make things a tad safer.
- There used to be loads of sockets spurred off each other, completely pointlessly. Why does anyone need 6 sockets in a garage, some of them double sockets? That's now down to two single sockets which is plenty.

- Also lots of outdoor lights which weren't necessary I got rid of.

- And of course going around and replacing metal light fittings and switches with plastic ones.

- Putting in earth sleeving where I can (not in the CU, I'm not 100% comfortable poking around in there but I know that needs doing too.)

I know that the only real solution is a total rewire, but I've done everything in my power to let them know that it needs doing pretty urgently.

fair enough. Some people just don't want to listen.

I'm sure many sparks here will probably sympathetic to this, as we get it a lot.

My personal favorite is when you go into someones house as they just want a few bits, socket or two here, new switches there etc. Then you see a fuseboard and wiring like yours. You tell them new board, rcds, bonding etc, etc. - all that good stuff.

Guaranteed that the first spark to quote gets blown out as a cowboy/chancer/con artist. The second spark wanders in, says exactly the same thing and gets the job as theres no way the customer is going to go back to the first spark and have to admit they were wrong and the spark was right.

In the mean time, lets hope no-one gets electrocuted :eek:

(edited twice for spelling)

Is this an immediate risk to myself and the family?
Yes.

I didn't even know about it until today and we've never had any problems with the electrics, never even so much as a fuse blowing.
Quite possibly.

I think a good analogy is with seat belts or airbags in the car. They could be faulty, and you'd never know. You could drive the car every day and never have a problem, so long as you never have a crash. But you would be at immediate risk every time.

The reason I ask is that a new kitchen is planned in early 2013 and we plan on having all the electrics gutted and redone then. So if it is something that can wait until then, then that works out great.
I wouldn't advise waiting.

I see what you mean.

I told my parents to expect anything from 2 to 4k for it to be totally redone to a top quality standard, is that a good estimate?

(I know it could be 2 to 3k but best to give a higher estimate so they're pleasantly surprised when they get a spark to give his/her estimate.)

Probably reasonably close. Nobody can say for sure without being there though.

But resolving the immediate cross-link problem and sorting out the bonding won't need a complete rewire and won't cost anything like that.

If it is just a case of sort the immeadiate wiring issue and apply bonding, i would say its worth a days work and some materials to a spark.

Applying a whole heap of guesswork, maybe a couple hundred?

I guess it can't hurt to get a few quotes in. If it really is a couple of hundred maybe I'll even pay if my parents are too reluctant to do so.

Maybe if they stopped booking bloody holidays all the time all this would have been sorted by now.

I guess we can't all have what we want.

Came across this situation a couple of weeks ago, changing a faulty socket on a ring, pulled the 30A fuse, still live, pulled the 15A imm htr fuse, dead. One leg of Ring and immersion crossed in CU, been like that since house was built in 1980s

Just had a second look at the pictures and now think you really should be calling a spark in sooner rather than later.

Whilst hes there, ask him to check out your earthing and bonding is adequate aswell.

As I look at these Piccie , I can`t see a trace of any Earth Cables other than those entering from above ie Part of T&E Cables , there appears to be 1 Cable coming in from the bottom with the Supply Tails but that to me looks like another T&E , though it could be the Colour on the Piccy , If there is`nt a link between the Main Earth Terminal and the ConsumerUnit you have a VERY DANGEROUS Problem which needs rectifying asap

Lucky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back