Strange three pin plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out here - in our communal areas in our block of flats we have three pin plug sockets that are slightly different to normal. The hole for the earth pin is smaller than normal and doesn't accept a standard plug.

Does anyone recognise these? Any ideas where I can get a plug to fit these from? The sockets are made by MK.

I need a plug to fit an extension lead so I can get power out to my car - my flat is on the 6th floor! Thanks in advance.

DSC02962.jpg

Sponsored Links
MK K1257WHI

MK Logic Single Switched Socket
1 Gang 13 amp Double Pole Non-Standard

All MK Sockets have the follwing features:

1. The 3 pin operated safety shutter makes MK Logic Plus sockets the safests available.
2. Terminals are grouped in-line with terminal screws backed out ready for easy wiring. Clear marking on dark background makes the terminals easily identifiable.
3. Many MK Sockets are fitted with two earth terminals to provide high integrity earthing.
4. MK plates are chamfered at the top with radiused corners.

We stock a wide range of MK Logic wiring accessories, but if you cannot find the MK Socket, MK Switch, MK Fused Spur or any other MK Logic Wiring accessory, please do not hesitate to contact us as we will add the desired Mk item to our MK Logic Range.

Taken from http://www.mk-shop.co.uk/products/S...+Socket+1+Gang+13A+DP+Non-Standard/3111921995

Sponsored Links
could ba a good one for landlords..
regular socket by the door and a card operated meter to feed it..
each tennent can buy a £5 card and use it as they need..

could ba a good one for landlords..
regular socket by the door and a card operated meter to feed it..
each tennent can buy a £5 card and use it as they need..

Not really.

A coin operated TIMER would be better, say a quid for 30 mins or what ever.

We fit these very often on showers, irons, dryers etc on holiday parks and the like.

A card operated KWh meter is not really ideal.

These are what we use: http://www.stephenpwales.co.uk/Product/timers/home_timers.htm

You can get better deals the online prices.

I was gonna say a coin meter, but thought card would be better..

would you find it fair if you put a quid in to vacuum the car out for 15 mins, and a neighbour put a quid in to use his welder on the car for the full half hour..
you both got charged the same but you used considerably less electricity than him..

that's why I thought card meter.. you'd use 15p worth of 'lecy while he'd use £1.50 worth ( exageration to make the point )

3. Many MK Sockets are fitted with two earth terminals to provide high integrity earthing.
I'm pretty sure that you need more than just two earth terminals to provide high integrity earthing.

For example, if you just connect the two CPC conductors on a ring, one into each earth terminal, then you have increased the risk of a break in the CPC ring, not reduced it.

No you haven't, you have increased the integrity of it in case one of the screws becomes loose between inspections.
Do a search on High Integrity Earthing - theres a couple of topics that stretch to 20 ish pages each.

Yes I see your point - if one screw loosens then there's a still a radial CPC, which is better than no CPC at all, for that socket.

But doesn't having twice the number of screws double the probability of one being left loose or becoming loose?

Regarding HI earthing, I haven't committed the 17th to memory yet, but I'm as sure as I can be that the 16th stipulated two rings for the CPC. Is that wrong?

Edit:
I've just searched for topics discussing HI earthing, and found these two doozies:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=142565
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132700

I'll get my coat. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back