Striped carpet on a staircase turn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's

We're looking at a striped for our stairway. The carpet people said we need to be careful that when the turn happens the lines will drift.

Ok we understand that but how much will it drift?

we got a piece of paper and drew stripes and cut the paper in half and tried to 'see' how much the drift was.

We are not planning to do the fitting and shall be getting it done professionally but welcome advice if any fitters here have done such a thing

View media item 13739 View media item 13740

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
an experienced fitter should be abe to line up the strips so that the stripes form an overall straight effect.

but find a decent carpet fitter well that's gonna be more difficult!
lay the ground rules before he starts
get it right or you don't get paid! be prepared to pay a little extra for the extra time he will need to fit properly.

You don't want a professional, you want a magician!

Cutting at an angle will leave the stripes wider at the angled cut than they are on a 90 degree cut. They will also drift out so you cannot line all the stripes up.

As the risers are cut at 90 degrees and the treads an angle each join will look odd.

Draw some 1" stripes on a piece of paper and try it!

Sponsored Links
You don't want a professional, you want a magician!

Cutting at an angle will leave the stripes wider at the angled cut than they are on a 90 degree cut. They will also drift out so you cannot line all the stripes up.

As the risers are cut at 90 degrees and the treads an angle each join will look odd.

Draw some 1" stripes on a piece of paper and try it!

correct! Its not possible to match on winders into straight stairs.

yep i fully agree with IJWS15

only 1 stripe can line up then they go progressivley out

the only way the strips can line up with the risers is if they go back at right angles so nothing lines up at the back off the treads on the winders

I'm currently facing a similar problem so any hints and tips would be appreciated.

Also, if you could post a picture of the finished look it would be great!

Cheers

i would suggest they didnt have it done and if they did i suspect the results would not be to pleasing ;)

I had chosen exactly the same carpet - Brinton's Chocolate Fudge. Sadly I have exactly the same stairs as yours so can't have the stripe. Given that your taste is impeccable - what spotty carpet did you choose :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back