Supermarkets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure but i may have stumbled on a technique the supermarkets are using to increase their profits? Doing the weekly shop i've noticed they've stopped selling some things in large packets/boxes etc... One example, sunflower spread. We've always bought this in 1kg tubs and these cost £2.45, the supermarket we go to have stopped selling these in the last few weeks and now only sell the 500g tubs which cost £1.49 so we're now paying £2.98 per kg instead of £2.45 per kg. I'd guess the profit margin is bigger on the smaller tubs so the supermarkets make more money and we either buy two tubs, or we go shopping more often (and probably buy twice as many things that we don't really need while we're there?) If they do this on products across the store there's no wonder we're spending about £20 a week more on food than we were 6months ago. Anyone else noticed this?

Sponsored Links
Andrew, a large supermarket will always stock products in all the sizes they can feasibly stock, for example butter in 250g, 500g and 1kg tubs, and tea in 40, 80, 160, 240 bag packs.

For one brand/product, the margin is likely to be similar across the different sizes.

However, different brands have different margins. For instance, Warburtons offers a higher margin than British Bakeries (eg. Hovis)

On a similer note, what I have noticed in the last couple of weeks is manufacturers reducing the sizes of products by small amounts, yet keeping the price the same, or actually increasing it. The worst culprits are wash powder and other laundry products. One product I dealt with reduced the size of its box from 980g to 800g, yet its price increased. Underhand tactics. The thing that bothers me is most people wont notice they are being ripped off. The box is the same, but its got less product in it.

try shopping online..

sure you pay a couple of quid for delivery but you don't have the hassle of trudging round the shop yourself, and don't fall for the "buy one get one free" offers that you don't really need but buy because "it's a bargain at that price"..

My friend started and despite the delivery charge is actually spending about a tenner less than he used to because it cuts out the impulse buying..

also never shop whilst hungry..
make a list at home of what you need and stick to it..

over the years from a kid to now i noticed how chocolate bars got smaller and smaller for the same price

Sponsored Links
over the years from a kid to now i noticed how chocolate bars got smaller and smaller for the same price

Yeah and the lettering on the signs has got smaller, and stamps aint what they used to be, I'll have a tanners worth young man. Oh these coins these days...... shocking. :D

Yeah and the lettering on the signs has got smaller, and stamps aint what they used to be, I'll have a tanners worth young man. Oh these coins these days...... shocking. :D

Speak up young lady.....(where have I put my glasses)

Back