Swapping energy supplier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We are currently with BG for gas and electric, I find these latest price hikes a bit of a bitter pill to swallow so I rang them up and asked about the fixed price deals, they were more than happy to fix my prices until 2015 AT THE NEW PRICES!!! So obviously I told them where to stuff it.

Just been online and signed up to a fixed price thing until march 2017 with edf energy, there is no saving, the prices are what we pay now (before the increase) but the longest fixed deal I could find. So do I have to do anything more like give notice to BG, or do I just wait for it to switch over and let edf handle it?

Shame they are not more like orange (or EE or whatever they are calling themselves this week), they wrote to me a while ago and told me my monthly thing was going up by £1.75 so I rang them and told them its not, or I walk. They gave me a £10 a month reduction to keep my custom.

Sponsored Links
I think that if the energy companies were really in competition, which is what happens in other areas of manufacture and retail, things would be much better for the consumer.
Unfortunately, it seems that all of the energy companies are in it together and have some sort of agreement.

All that it would take would be for one brave (and not greedy) company to offer very competitive rates and corner the market. The first one to do this would get my custom. Others might follow, but there's no way I'd go with them.

They will do all the work now.
You will receive a letter from your old supplier to confirm the end of the contract + if you owe them money they may want it up front before they switch you, depends how much. If its a lot they definitely will, if its a small amount they will probably transfer the debt.

Have you tried: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Give it a try, you will have an opting out period for your new contract so if you find a cheaper option you can still change.

Hope this is of some help :LOL:

they pass on part off the "commission " they get for recommending you unlike some other sites

Sponsored Links
They will do all the work now.
You will receive a letter from your old supplier to confirm the end of the contract + if you owe them money they may want it up front before they switch you, depends how much. If its a lot they definitely will, if its a small amount they will probably transfer the debt.

Have you tried: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Give it a try, you will have an opting out period for your new contract so if you find a cheaper option you can still change.

Hope this is of some help :LOL:

Thanks. Debt will be nothing as we do meter reading and pay up each month. We pay for exactly what we use, no more, no less. BG don't like it and kept pushing for DD, but if you want my money then it comes on my terms.

This post will be helpful to a lot of people I would think.

Personally I like the idea of everyone boycotting one company so that they have to bring their prices down or go bust.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Thanks. Debt will be nothing as we do meter reading and pay up each month. We pay for exactly what we use, no more, no less. BG don't like it and kept pushing for DD, but if you want my money then it comes on my terms.
However 'on your terms' probably means you have been paying more per unit than a DD account...

Something we learnt was to go fixed price as you have and make sure your renewal time is in late summer...

Usually in credit at that time, and the best fixed rates before the inevitable autumn rises kick in...

We haven't had any increase in price per unit over the past 3 years despite having three new deals!

BG have always been among the most expensive.
Try uswitch or similar for cheapest option.

[
quote="foxhole";p="2912015"]BG have always been among the most expensive.
Try uswitch or similar for cheapest option.
[/quote]

Do it with uswitch through Quidco for £24 cashback. Not megabucks, but equivalent to at least a couple of post tax wages for some folk.

Going through the link i posted in an earlier post will get you the cheapest option + email you when a cheaper option comes up in the future + get you £30 cashback on sign up to most of the contracts.
Everyones a winner :D :D :D

Unless there is a cracking deal I am avoiding the Big 6 on general principle.

At the moment I am with OVO and they have been excellent so far.

Sponsored Links
Back