Taking possession of something you own.

Sponsored Links
predominantly older, already had a lot of advantages no longer available to the young now
I suppose I fall into that category. But I have no idea what advantages you are referring to. I never had jack, I had to save for anything I wanted, nobody gave me a leg up, and I didn't ask anybody for anything, either.

I suppose I fall into that category. But I have no idea what advantages you are referring to. I never had jack, I had to save for anything I wanted, nobody gave me a leg up, and I didn't ask anybody for anything, either.

I was exactly the same. My parents had no spare cash to help me out. When they passed away, I inherited not a penny, all I got was a few tools of my father, I would value at just a few pounds. Like them, I struggled hand to mouth for much of my early life. I was well into my 40's, before I felt properly secure.

Last edited:

I was exactly the same. My had no spare cash to help me out, when they passed away, I inherited not a penny, all I got was a few tools of my father, I would value at just a few pounds. Like them, I struggled hand to mouth for much of my early life. I was well into my 40's, before I felt properly secure.

Harry got his house at a significant RTB discount.

Both of you benefitted from houses that weren't unachievable -for-average-folk multiples of annual income.

I'm not saying you didn't graft, make sacrifices, or not go without.
What I am saying is that, if you did it all again nowadays, you'd have far less chance of getting into the same position.

It's basic mathematics.

Sponsored Links
That will always be the case, but that must not be used as a reason to not have a safety net for the vast majority.
Which is what the - predominantly older, already had a lot of advantages no longer available to the young now - posters on here are advocating.
What a load of complete and utter rubbish.

Pick a generation, any generation. Go back one generation go back twenty. In any given generation, there will have been winners and losers in a socioeconomic sense. Hold on ... surely some generations will have faired better than others though?

Yes, that much is obvious. And what?

It can be argued younger folk have advantages that older folk didn't e.g. being able to say 'I've got a mental health problem' and being signed off for weeks months years as opposed to being told 'pull your socks up and get on with it!'

Oh the poor mollycoddled youth. 'I'm 23 and don't think I'll ever be able to afford a house!'

Lots of folk (from any generation) in their 20s/30s couldn't and can't afford to buy a house at that age.

DEAL WITH IT. Work with the cards society has dealt you.

Fed up hearing about the fecking young.

it's very noticable that there are people attracted by the idea of keeping the poor in terrible living conditions.

where should these shanty towns be set up, where homeless people shelter in cardboard boxes, scavenging for plastic bags to keep some of the rain out?
What are you havering about?

No one wants anyone to live in a sh1thole. However there has to be a balance, otherwise where is the incentive to work?

Let's say there's a new build estate of 400 houses. Not with a small section of differently designed social houses, just all the same. What would you propose? 200 of them up for sale, 200 to be given to people who can't afford to buy one?

We have rich people
We have middle earners
We have poor people

Has always been, will always be. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

The poor will always have less.

It's got feck all with ordinary folk having a desire to keep people poor ... it's simply called reality.

The rich person has a Ferrari.
The middle earner has a Golf.
The poor person walks or gets the bus.

back in the day when I was about 7 years old I was with my old man who was having a conversation with some bloke standing out side two houses both of which were for sale

My old man asked how much

He was told 5 grand for the pair ( may have been less)

My old man said it was a rip off and declined :cry: :cry:

1.4 million they are worth now :cry:

Yes exactly silly twonk

I

back in the day when I was about 7 years old I was with my old man who was having a conversation with some bloke standing out side two houses both of which were for sale

My old man asked how much

He was told 5 grand for the pair ( may have been less)

My old man said it was a rip off and declined :cry: :cry:

1.4 million they are worth now :cry:

Yes exactly silly twonk

I
in 1982 my 3bed terrace in surrey cost £26500 now around half a million quite criminal really as housing has been promoted as an investment rather than restricted as housing
government policy should restrict the buying to favour people needing to live rather than an a investment inflating prices out off control
housing should never ever be an investment first and a home second
buy to rent should never be allowed unless the rental value can held below just inflation cost as long term investment where costs are average out over say 20 years with interest rates discarded as a short term measure

Last edited:
JohnD said:
What a shame there is a shortage of decent social housing at low cost for people of slender means.

A comment that motorbiking really, really doesn't like.
Do you think people have a right to expect other people to pay to provide them with a nice place to live?

I note you didn't answer the question, instead you make up lies.

perhaps you can answer - if its not too hard a question for you.

There is a factor about property that hasn't been mentioned. As an intro I'll go back to mid 80's and a letter from my company pension scheme concerning switching investments to property as the returns were higher than traditional investments. Not long after the company took a pension holiday - there 7.5% of a persons salary no longer went into the fund. I wont go into what they did later other than it allowed them to take rather a lot of money out of the fund.

Now switch to house building
The report tracks the financial performance of the UK’s largest housebuilders and shows that dividend payments to shareholders were 260% higher in 2022 than before the financial crisis, even after adjusting for inflation. The number of homes built by these firms increased from 66,902 in 2005 to 82,288 in 2022 – an increase of 23%.
In 2022, dividends payments by the largest housebuilders totalled £1.8 billion, constituting 47 per cent of profit before tax, compared to just 16 per cent in 2005.

I started wondering about this following garden space buy up along with one house to demolish for access further down the road I live on. The houses built there are well over the affordable house price range. At the time the houses that lost some garden would be about £350k probably £400k now. Probably 1920 or so. The new ones are nice looking row of houses. Brick faced insulated timber frame. The ground work took a while. The houses went up like a rocket. The internal fitting aspects probably took longer. My thoughts were these things must be cheaper to build than more traditional constructions. Looked at profit levels. At that time it was a break down in different areas and different price ranges. Better the property the higher the margin. Same with areas.

There has also been some affordable house building not far away from me. You might view the area as ex council plus high rise from when there would be a lot of grass around. Knock all of that down. Much the same as above although ground work appeared to take longer and even went on after houses were built. Looked to be sewage and etc. More people in the area now.

I've seen other rabbit warrens built this way in other parts of the country. Metrics on room sizes / bedrooms have I understand been dropped. My brother bought a house built that way long ago. Not spacious but comfortable. Another I visited 2 bed and the owner moaned about it but fact is he just wanted a bigger house. He was using one room as a workshop. It still wasn't too bad. The living space left was pretty good really.

So what's happening. I suspect new build pricing is based on existing housing stock prices probably with a plus as they are new and may have an en suite etc. Open plan - saves a wall and looks bigger. Or just new.

Then add the attempts to allow house pricing to increase, 1 salary, 1 1/2 and then 2 plus various attempts to keep the ball rolling and not having a housing price crash. Sustainable?????

The builds are funded by debt so the faster they are built the quicker the return.

Then throw in buy to let, how that may be funded and increasing rental prices.

No one wants anyone to live in a sh1thole.

As do I doubt that anyone wants to be in a position where, regardless of how much graft they put in, they will be unlikely to ever be able to afford a place of their own.

The poor will always have less.

When "less" actually means "a place to live", let alone heat and keep in a condition that would be suitable even for a dog, something has gone very wrong with society in general, and you in particular.

It can be argued younger folk have advantages that older folk didn't e.g. being able to say 'I've got a mental health problem' and being signed off for weeks months years as opposed to being told 'pull your socks up and get on with it!'

I grew up in the seventies, and went to infant school (as it was called back then) with kids whose parents and grandparents all lived in the same street, and none of them worked.
Every generation has had its folk who didn't. couldn't, or wouldn't work, and all managed to get by.
A support system - abused by some - has existed as long as you've been alive.

What a load of complete and utter rubbish.

At least you're on the path to self-awareness. The next step is self-improvement.

Fed up hearing about the fecking young.

The ones who'll be paying your pension, doing your diabetes monitoring, stroke rehab, keeping your neighbourhood safe, wiping your @RSE, you mean?

They're probably fed up of miserable old c##ts like you, happy that the ladder is being pulled up behind you, while you sneer down at them and tell them "you can't imagine how hard I had it" (y)

in 1982 my 3bed terrace in surrey cost £26500 now around half a million quite criminal really as housing has been promoted as an investment rather than restricted as housing
government policy should restrict the buying to favour people needing to live rather than an a investment inflating prices out off control
housing should never ever be an investment first and a home second
buy to rent should never be allowed unless the rental value can held below just inflation cost as long term investment where costs are average out over say 20 years with interest rates discarded as a short term measure
How would that work then?

Sponsored Links
Back