Telephone sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if you can get a telephone socket with a filter and broadband socket combined. I'm sure that there are loads of people getting peeved off with filters hanging off a 4" cable

Sponsored Links
What, like this?

GPADSLS.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPADSLS.html

I've seen replacement filtering faceplates for the standard BT master sockets somewhere, I'll see if I can find a link.

Sponsored Links
Do you only need one or do you have to fit them to all used outlets as you do with the external filters?

Pensdown said:
Do you only need one or do you have to fit them to all used outlets as you do with the external filters?

interesting thought :D

i have a filter feeding two phones
so i suppose the answer is aslong as the phones are down stream of the "filter" and within any capacity restrictions [as in no more than "X" items plugged in ]:LOL: if such a restriction is applicable!!!!!!

Pensdown said:

If you fit a filter plate to your master socket, you will not need to modify any extension plates. Neither will you need any dangling filters on them.

It is the easiest/tidiest way of filtering the home. There are two contributing factors for not doing it this way. One is obviously the location of the computer in respect to the master socket. The second, is if you want to use a surge protector on your phone line/modem, its easier to filter after the surge protector than before.

note: if you do use a filter plate on the master socket get one of clarity.it's improved ones, that way you can neatly take off the DSL signal from the back rather than plugging it in.

the thing i should point out is,

if your master socket is downstairs and your pc upstairs it wont work, since the filter has removed the adsl from the line.

i personaly think you need one for each socket, but never having seen one i do not know, perhaps some one can confrim / deny?

the NTE5 frontplates clarity sell have an extra pair of terminals on the back which can be used to take the DSL line off independently of the phone line, this is the best way to wire DSL as it avoids branches in the DSL side (though this will probablly only make a difference in marginal setups).

dunno about those sockets TLC sell

interesting, but a thought just occured, what's your opinion?

suppose as you say, you can have phone and dsl on pairs (one for each)

how are yougoing to connect the pc to the dsl? it will need a socket to plug into, but you cant do that since you have a bt soket there for the phone.

yes you can buy a "dsl" socket, but that means you have 2 sockets side by side, which is a waste so why not buy a double socket, one with phone, one with dsl, which is where this topic started.

better still just use the plug in adsl filter

breezer said:
how are yougoing to connect the pc to the dsl? it will need a socket to plug into, but you cant do that since you have a bt soket there for the phone.
use a double plate that has independent phone and RJ11 sockets on it

yes you can buy a "dsl" socket, but that means you have 2 sockets side by side, which is a waste so why not buy a double socket, one with phone, one with dsl, which is where this topic started.
its certainly a quick way of making an existing install neater, but seperation in a signal place should cause less reflections etc which should result in better reliability/performance especailly with the new higher speed versions of DSL and on longer exchange lines (where things are getting marginal already).

better still just use the plug in adsl filter
i assume the reason people start asking about other soloutions is because they wan't to avoid using those ugly things.

The use of the copper pair for broadband signalling is pushing the system to the maximum and house wiring can make or break the system. If not break seriously reduce the capability.

ADSL signals and telephones are not compatible hence the filters to prevent ADSL signals getting into the phones. 1) it stops squeaky noises being heard on the phone and 2) it reduce the loses of the ADSL signal in the wiring of the telephone which is not ADSL compatible.

So the best is to separate phone and ADSL as near to the incoming phone line as possible. That, for the DIY person, is the Master box.

Assuming the box has the removable front change it for a good quality ADSL filter unit. This will provide a telephone socket and an ADSL socket and maybe a set of terminals to connect phone extensions to at the back of the face plate.

DO NOT interfere with the incoming pair or the back of the master socket

Wire the internal phones using normal telephone secondary sockets with three wires connecting all sockets in parallel pins 2 (orange) 3( blue) and 5 (white of orange). These are free of ADSL

Use a plugged lead into the ADSL socket to run to the computer area.

Advantage is that the ADSL filter is one serving all phones and prevents loss of ADLS in the capacity of the internal wiring.

I was surprised to find some micro-filters have 2 wire connection to the phone socket and have a bell capacitor fitted to feed the bell in the telephone and thus do no use the capacitor in the master box. This can compromise the qualitity of the speech and affect ringing efficiency.

One variation of this in difficult situations is to take a single pair from the rear of the master socket's face plate to a second user supplied master box where the ADSL / phone split is made. ( effectively "moving" the master box function to the site of the computer area with the BT supplied and owned master box as a two wire junction box ).

Bernard

bernardgreen said:
Use a plugged lead into the ADSL socket to run to the computer area.
or if you wan't a neat install use claritys version with an extra pair of terminals on it.

I was surprised to find some micro-filters have 2 wire connection to the phone socket and have a bell capacitor fitted to feed the bell in the telephone and thus do no use the capacitor in the master box. This can compromise the qualitity of the speech and affect ringing efficiency.
i thought they all did, connecting a ringer to the cap in the master box could seriously compromise the ADSL signal.

if you must use the microfilters system then disconnecting the ringing wire leading to the extention sockets at the master socket can dramatically improve DSL performance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back