Test for prostate cancer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning folks

I went to the doctors this morning and told him that I usually need to go for a wee in the middle of the night. He said this may be an early sign of prostate cancer - I celebrated my 50th birthday last week. He suggested that I have a blood test although this is not always 100% accurate and also suggested that I have my prostate checked. He said it takes a few seconds but can feel uncomfortable.

Has anyone gone through this procedure before? Is it painful and embarrassing?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
The blood test involves a needle in the arm.

I am sure you will find it less intrusive than a finger up the arse.

I asked for the finger (as well as the bloods) to be sure. Nowt worse than not knowing. It really is a nothing procedure and lasts seconds.

Every man over the age of early forties should have the test done,( and after that at regular intervals) Dont hesitate to have it done, third cancer killer these days,get it early enough and its a life saver.

It has no other symptoms than the need to pee during the night, which can also just be part of ones life style. ( which could be down to a few pints or a late night cuppa)

Women get checked automatically for Breast Cancer and Cervical Cancer yet men have to request a life saver Prostrate Cancer test.
In France it is part of Medical Check Ups for Men of all ages .( and France now has a lower rate of Prostrate Cancer . )

Sponsored Links
The PSA test is a bit rubbish for prostate cancer. 20% of men with prostate cancer had a normal PSA. 60% of men with raised PSA had no prostate cancer.

That means a raised PSA will likely lead to investigations invluding a prostate biopsy. Friend had one done - left in pain and had several courses of antibiotics for persistent infection. Another friend had it done and was fine.

Don't want to scare you off but if you do have prostate cancer, a finger up the bum is nothing compared to the investigations and treatment. Be brave.

I’ve just turned 60 and I got a notice in the post last week that the NHS are sending me a testing kit for prostrate cancer in the next couple of weeks. According to my wife I have to wipe my bum and put the cloth/paper/poo sample in a container and post it back to them.

She did suggest just sending an old pair of my pants back to them, the cheeky cow!

Try not drinking anything after 9pm, usually all it takes to prevent night time loo trips.Not everyone bladder is up to overnight without a pee.

Not every prostrate cancer has signs, some get it and its at advanced stage before its found.[one guy had it 10 years before diagnosis.]
Something you may be interested to know, honey bees can be trained to detect cancer and other sunbstances ,they are way better than dogs and way cheaper and can be trained in 24hrs.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back