Testing a PIR-controlled light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

About 3 years ago my Mum had a local electrician fit a PIR sensor to control her outside light. Last week, the light stopped coming on. I assumed it was the bulb and changed the bulb but that wasn't it. I've moved the sensor to test and still no light. I'm prepared to spend £30 on a new sensor, which appears to be this one: http://www.scldirect.co.uk/200-degree-professional-black-pir-1795.html

However, I don't want to spend the money and the time swapping the sensor over if that's not the problem. I know the bulbs are OK. Is there anything else that could fail, apart from the sensor? Is there a way of checking that the sensor is at fault?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's a linear tungsten halogen floodlight, have you checked that the new lamp is in correctly or that the lamp contacts haven't worn or corroded ?
If you work with safe isolation you could link out the PIR to prove that the light actually works. I presume you have tried a power off just to check the PIR ?

With the power off, link the live and switched live together at the rear of the PIR.

Turn the power on. The light should be on. This will prove the wiring is ok.

Make sure you label the live and the switched live before you connect them together.

If it is the PIR, fit one of these:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/PIR+Photocell/PIR+Sensor+Black/d220/sd3296/p56072

11 quid a go including delivery. I fit loads of these. They're brilliant. Don't waste your money on that SCL one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back