Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ever you think of the rights and wrongs and who should have dropped what and when, i think its important we all take a moment to remember today all those that were hurt injured, maimed or died, fighting in appalling conditions a very long way from home, to bring the victory of VJ day, a day too often overlooked.

So lets try just for once to remember it and say thankyou for the effort you made on behalf of us all, and if you dont agree or cant say anything decent, then dont

THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
yes it is, i just thought it would be approrite to put it on tonight, when more people were online, and to put the thoughts in peoples heads.

i also wish to remember all the brave people who died where injured or were heroes just because they lived through the war and often lost freinds and family i salute you all you were ALL very brave and couragous

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
What ever you think of the rights and wrongs and who should have dropped what and when, i think its important we all take a moment to remember today all those that were hurt injured, maimed or died, fighting in appalling conditions a very long way from home, to bring the victory of VJ day, a day too often overlooked.

So lets try just for once to remember it and say thankyou for the effort you made on behalf of us all, and if you dont agree or cant say anything decent, then dont

THANK YOU

Thermo how right you are to remember those who have given so much
for our freedoms.

My father was a prisoner of war taken on the beach head at Norway.
He was a prisoner for 5 years eventually ending up adjacent to the
Death Camps in Poland.

He could speak 4 languages fluently and one day when I was very young
he met a Polish Jew in Blackpool. Both started crying and holding each other. My father told me at that time never to forget the horror that war can bring.
He had a very torturous life with many experimential treatments in
electric shock therapy. On his death a Army Officer visited our home.
He told me that my father had survived the unthinkable. He went into
my fathers history most of which I had never heard and the fact that due to his language skills he was used
by the S.S. He stated that his record showed that he had escaped from
a prison camp in Poland and that on recapture he had been struck on
the head with the the butt of a luger pistol which badly smashed his skull.
He was left for dead and ordinary german prison guards took him
to their hospital where a German Surgeon saved his life and put
a large metal plate in his skull.
My father explained to me that the ordinary germans were fair but that
they were controlled by the S.S. who used fear tactics. He did mention that getting near to the end of the war they were shouting their own kind
to install discipline.
My father during his short life never mentioned the fact that he had a metal plate in his skull. The officer explained that a lot of servicemen kept their nightmares to themselves.The officer told me as senior son that the army would pay all the expenses of any funeral arrangements I made for my father. They also provided for
my mother with the best of financial assistance during her lifetime. I was
really proud of my country and the fact thay they cared for their own.

I also had a uncle who was taken prisoner by the Japanese at Singapore.
He died at the age of 49 years but I recall speaking to him. His hatred
of the Japanese people was unquestionable. He told us that he was treated
worse than an animal and that he saw hundreds of his comrades both from America and the U.K. die as a result of inhuman treatment.
I always remember him saying when I was a child that there was nothing
wrong with drinking urine as it saved his life once.

Tomorrow I will remember my father, uncle and all those who have
given so much to allow us to continue to live in a free society.

Cheers.

Thankyou

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

To everyone that died so unnecessarily civilian aswell as military.

I feel so very strongly that no-one should ever forget what the folk of this country did for themselves and future generations. I think the history of the world wars should be curriculum stuff, so that when all the old soldiers are long gone (bless them), the wars will still be very much talked about and young people can learn just how much their predecessors did for the country.

When I was 2, I was out for a walk with with my parents, and apparently I climbed on a war memorial.

An ex-serviceman told me off, and my father said to him, "That is the very reason you and your mates fought the war - just so people like my son could have the freedom to do what they are doing right now"

I'll have a drink to them on September 2nd, the day the Japanese actually signed the surrender aboard the Missouri in Tokyo Bay. As far as I am concerned that was the actual day the conflict ended.

It is a little known fact that Allied and Japanese troops still enchanged ammunition right up to the sighning of the treaty, and some Japanese units in manchruia and other places refused to surrender and had to be hunted down, the last ones being finally silenced in the summer of 1947.

FWL_Engineer said:
I'll have a drink to them on September 2nd, the day the Japanese actually signed the surrender aboard the Missouri in Tokyo Bay. As far as I am concerned that was the actual day the conflict ended.

It is a little known fact that Allied and Japanese troops still enchanged ammunition right up to the sighning of the treaty, and some Japanese units in manchruia and other places refused to surrender and had to be hunted down, the last ones being finally silenced in the summer of 1947.

Didnt they find a man in the 1970's on an island and two old japs a few months back who were hiding cause they thought the war was still on.

securespark said:
I feel so very strongly that no-one should ever forget what the folk of this country did for themselves and future generations. I think the history of the world wars should be curriculum stuff, so that when all the old soldiers are long gone (bless them), the wars will still be very much talked about and young people can learn just how much their predecessors did for the country.
Agreed, entirely. There's a terrible lack of historical awareness, so for my part,

Thank you.

Freddie, this is it I think?

It's hard to comprehend that around 60 million military personnel and civilians died on the allied side alone. 60 million people.

Ordinary people. It was never truely known that their sacrifice would ensure our freedom. Yet they still made those sacrifices, and we are free because of them.

All I can do is thank them all for my life and for my way of life.

Thats the ones Adam and i think the one in 1974 even had an episode of the 6 million dollar man made about him

I can't begin to imagine the culture shock these 'lost' soldiers must have felt. It would be like stepping forward in time 60 years to find your deadliest enemy dominating the world.

petewood said:
I can't begin to imagine the culture shock these 'lost' soldiers must have felt. It would be like stepping forward in time 60 years to find your deadliest enemy dominating the world.

They were scared--it was the ultimate dishonour to surrender and it could have meant execution from their own side, there must have been many more and they probably committed suicide as was the norm for jap soliers at that time

Sponsored Links
Back