*The Did you Know thread*

No way. If you were on a train and threw a tennis ball to someone at say 20 MPH, the ball will travel at 20 MPH (initially) to the person, it doesn't magically hit you in the face at 80 MPH.

If you stand at the back of a train doing 100mph, and throw the tennis ball at 20mph in the opposite direction of the train, the ball will travel at 80mph in the direction of the train.

It's called Relativity.

Sponsored Links
If you have a piece of string that is just long enough to go around the equator, in order to elevate said string uniformly 1ft above the equator, you only need 6.28 feet of extra string to make the ends meet again.

The same is true if you did the same with a pea, or the sun (ignoring the fact it would be burnt to a crisp)

Bobby will now jump on you saying the string will break, he does not do hypothetical.

Relative speeds at work.....

This is to make it even simpler for Bobby

Last edited:
If you stand at the back of a train doing 100mph, and throw the tennis ball at 20mph in the opposite direction of the train, the ball will travel at 80mph in the direction of the train.

It's called Relativity.

Oh, out of the back of the train. OK, then the bullets relative speed or velocity would be zero in that case.

Sponsored Links
That's because it wouldn't be much of a gun.
The train would have to be travelling at more like more than 1000 mph for your theory to work in practise.

It was merely an hypothesis to determine an example of relativity, not to be taken literally,perhaps beyond your comprehension.

Then it was destined never to do so.
I see I upset you, ridiculing your 100 mph bullet.
So now you've gone ludicrous and suggested your 100 mph bullet was realistic.
It never was.
Get over it.

I see I upset you, ridiculing your 100 mph bullet.
So now you've gone ludicrous and suggested your 100 mph bullet was realistic.
It never was.
Get over it.

Nowhere do I ever suggest a 100 mph bullet is realistic.

You are losing the plot, every one else understands hypothetical, perhaps it's above your pay grade.

Nowhere do I ever suggest a 100 mph bullet is realistic.

You are losing the plot, every one else understands hypothetical, perhaps it's above your pay grade.
Ridiculing your 100 mph bullet does not indicate a failure to understand relativity.
It illustrates an understanding of unrealistic examples. Perhaps because you're so touchy about being ridiculed, you imagine something else. :rolleyes:
Get over it, and don't be so touchy.

Ridiculing your 100 mph bullet does not indicate a failure to understand relativity.
It illustrates an understanding of unrealistic examples. Perhaps because you're so touchy about being ridiculed, you imagine something else. :rolleyes:
Get over it, and don't be so touchy.

You are losing the plot.

To pick over an hypothetical argument, using realistic data as the argument, misses the point entirely.

Einstein used lightening bolts hitting a train, with observers on and off the train timing lightening bolt strikes. ( realism at its best.............:confused: )

Why did you not pick fault with the string around the Equator hypothesis (by EddieM ), as apiece of string roughly 24000 miles long is never going to happen.

You are the touchy one, due to misunderstanding hypothetical observations.

To pick over an hypothetical argument, using realistic data as the argument, misses the point entirely.
You are the touchy one, due to misunderstanding hypothetical observations.

It was presented as a realistic situation. It obviously wasn't.
I ridiculed your 100mph gun example, nothing more, nothing less.
Did you know, that if you stand on the back of a train doing 100mph, and you fire a bullet,in the opposite direction of the train, at 100mph.
The bullet will drop out of the muzzle, and drop straight to the ground.
You've now invented the concept that I failed to understand relativity or a hypothetical scenario.
You're making things up because your example was ridiculed. Get over it.

It was presented as a realistic situation. It obviously wasn't.
I ridiculed your 100mph gun example, nothing more, nothing less.

You've now invented the concept that I failed to understand relativity or a hypothetical scenario.
You're making things up because your example was ridiculed. Get over it.

Did you miss the 24000 mile long bit of string.........(y)

I will give it one more go, Einstein uses many totally unrealistic thought experiments, do some research, you may learn much.

It's done so that the less intelligent will better understand, obviously not.

I will give it one more go, Einstein uses many totally unrealistic thought experiments, do some research, you may learn much.

It's done so that the less intelligent will better understand, obviously not.
Are you having the audacity to present your example as typical of one of Einstein's?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back