The French are revolting.

Is it really a fundamental democratic right to get your state pension at 62?
I think you'll find it's mainly about a law change being made without a democratic vote!

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find it's mainly about a law change being made without a democratic vote!
You mean the French Government didn't ask them if they would like to wait another two years before getting a pension? How strange! How do you think that vote would have gone? Did they also ask them if they would like to pay taxes as well or did they just tell them they would be paying them? What if they had voted no? Where would money come for vital services such as Health, Defence, Education? etc etc?

Do they have votes on such matters in that European country you tried to move to?

I tell you what, at least they have kahunas.

We Brits just roll over and take it up the R's.

Our Govt has continually moved the goalposts around retirement. Next, it'll be 70.

We're getting shafted.
Absolutely right, i find it strange we don't here. The latest budget scam, corp tax etc is absolutely killing small business and the economy and we just accept it.. bizarre. What Liz Truss had planned to implement would have made a difference in a positive way.

Last edited:
Just read that our un-elected Head of State (who nobody voted into power) has called off his trip to France due to the protests about a law being passed without having a vote.

There's few things I like about the French, but I doff my cap to them for their heritage of public protest. It is within their national psyche and built upon centuries of taking a stand after the fall of their monarchy. May 1968 is a fascinating modern example of the power of public protest.

We - the Brits - have been very placid on this front for too many years. The best example was in 2020 (I think!) when a bill went through to limit the legality of protesting, while protesting was temporarily illegal 'due to Covid'. There was barely a reaction!

As for the reason behind the protest, I think - overall - the government know the age does need to be raised, for the security of their future economy.

Sponsored Links
I tell you what, at least they have kahunas.

We Brits just roll over and take it up the R's.

Our Govt has continually moved the goalposts around retirement. Next, it'll be 70.

We're getting shafted.
The Gary Lineker affair showed the power of the people, not the rank and file, but BBC talent - just shows that a small number of people can be highly influential. Think what improvements premier league footballers could achieve by striking.

Blup

You mean the French Government didn't ask them if they would like to wait another two years before getting a pension? How strange! How do you think that vote would have gone? Did they also ask them if they would like to pay taxes as well or did they just tell them they would be paying them? What if they had voted no? Where would money come for vital services such as Health, Defence, Education? etc etc?
Let's give the so called 'teacher' a lesson in subverting democratic rights shall we...

Let's start with 'Requisition'...

Or we'll call it what it is - forced labour!

But surely not in 2023 in a 'democratic country'?

Linky Linky

A lot of the protests are about mass challenges when the police are called in to force people to work!

Ironically the French revolution was suppossed to abolish such practices...

So do you agree with the actions of the French government now in reviving Requisition?

I'm getting very nervous about retirement ages in the UK. The Govt love it because there's less pension money to cough up.

Moving the goalposts needs to stop.
Even better, put them back where they were.

A lot of the protests are about mass challenges when the police are called in to force people to work!
No, the riots are about two things. 1. The raising of the retirement age to 64. Boo hoo. 2. The requirements for 43 years of payments to get the maximum allowed. In other words, you need to start work from the age of 21. Guess who are going to lose out on doing 43 years of work to get it? Yep, the lazy life long university 'students' who don’t start work until they are in their late 20's/early 30’s.
Anyway, you seem to be all for revolt like the French so tell me this. Would you be happy if your business or your car was smashed and burnt by those brave French protesters?

The best example was in 2020 (I think!) when a bill went through to limit the legality of protesting, while protesting was temporarily illegal 'due to Covid'. There was barely a reaction!
There was a reaction but it wasn't reported. The media were bought during covid.
The Gary Lineker affair showed the power of the people,
Not quite. It showed the brute power of the loony left.
I'm getting very nervous about retirement ages in the UK. The Govt love it because there's less pension money to cough up.
That's a very obvious thing to say, but don't forget the reasons why they want to pay less pension money (Government debt repayments, covid money printing inflation, the ever expanding welfare state, the money pit that is the NHS, lower tax receipts and unlimited gimmegration).
Would you be happy if your business or your car was smashed and burnt by those brave French protesters?
The protestors should target politicians, not property and certainly not fellow taxpayers.

There was a reaction but it wasn't reported. The media were bought during covid.
All I saw were reports of disruption in Bristol I think -- I don't remember any protests around here and nobody (bar two) of my friends and family knew or cared about it, sadly. I mass political disengagement is the real issue, although I do agree that mainstream media is absolutely filtered and controlled.

In france the state pension is calculated on the avg of your best 25 years income. This isn’t an argument about waiting another 2 years to get your £7k or whatever, this can be 50-60k difference.

At the same time, it’s totally unsustainable and unfair for the young to pay taxes on pensions they won’t have.

And unfair for the older to lose out on pensions although they paid much higher income tax when younger.

Blup

Blimey some appear to support the french riots

But condemned that trump caper over the election :ROFLMAO:

Blimey no wonder thousands are fleeing France risking there lives to get to the UK

As for the kings visit being cancelled it was after a conversation between macron and the king

Blimey some appear to support the french riots

But condemned that trump caper over the election :ROFLMAO:

Blimey no wonder thousands are fleeing France risking there lives to get to the UK

As for the kings visit being cancelled it was after a conversation between macron and the king

'Frexit' seems to be rearing it's head again as well.

Sponsored Links
Back