Thermal stores

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not fitted any for long while and never one i have had to specify myself .
I need a system suitable of suppling a large house 5 bed 3bath (2with Shower units also).Gotta be some sort of mains system as they have plans for every inch of roofspace and the tanks are not part of there plan.

Seen a couple of makes online ,range whose biggest seems undersized and another whose name escapes me but fully speced comes out at £2600 for cylnder with controls and pumps.

Anyone else got any other makers they can suggest i try, or other places to look.

Sponsored Links
Found a few more options and varing prices ranges now .

Guess what im really searching for here is info about useabilty of thermal stores.usally i would just be quoting (am doing so as well) for a unvented Hot water cylnder and System boiler,but the client has heard of Heat stores and belives this would be his best option.

Like i said havent had much dealing with heat stores except a very bad experince of subbing for a company ripping lots out of a Barrat Homes site where cyndelers kept failing,mainly due to bad instal but still not a good reminder for me.

What in this situation would you belive would give the best results?

are your sure about a heat store?

with the size of the house and the amount of bathrooms I would be looking to fit a monty sized unvented cylinder in?

No im not in the slightest i have been asked to quote for one ,am throwing in the unvented quote as well as i think it will be best but hes been searching online and seems to think heatstore the answer for him,where as i have never had any really dealing with them none at all in a good way.

Just checking other opions to make sure its just not me being closed off to other ideas and just throwing the unvented idea forward when i may be discrediting his idea without proper reasoning.

Sponsored Links
Garfeild said:
Try Gledhill.....www.gledhill.net

garfield is right proillie the best at the moment

they are ok IF they have been dosed with enough inhibitor on installation and topped up from time to time

I've got a Gledhill unfortunately. Works ok but I hate them. I can't see how they are energy efficient when you have to run the boiler at full temp!

Doesn't match with a condensing boiler needing to run at 60C max :rolleyes:

The only advantage of a Gledhill is that you don't need a G3 ticket. Modern ones are just a thermal store with plate heat exchanger on the front with 3 pumps, so in use the same as a combi :rolleyes:

Try looking at a DPS Pandora.

Personally, I'd have an unvented but this is arguably amongst the best of its type.

simond said:
Try looking at a DPS Pandora.

Personally, I'd have an unvented but this is arguably amongst the best of its type.

..and beats an unvented cylinder hands down.

gas4you said:
I've got a Gledhill unfortunately. Works ok but I hate them. I can't see how they are energy efficient when you have to run the boiler at full temp!

Doesn't match with a condensing boiler needing to run at 60C max :rolleyes:

The only advantage of a Gledhill is that you don't need a G3 ticket. Modern ones are just a thermal store with plate heat exchanger on the front with 3 pumps, so in use the same as a combi :rolleyes:

It is not a combi as a combi has everything on box. Heat banks can be run at 70C condensing most of boiler run time.

But is a heat bank supplying hot system water to a plate heat exchanger that give your hot tap water, not the same principle as a combi heat exchanger?

It certainly is when you try to run 2 or more hot taps at the same time :eek:

You obviously appear to know more about thermal stores and heat banks than me, but the basic physics just doesn't add up.

changed a sensor on a gledhill 2002 last month. when i opened it it looked like something out of the die hard movies. just in case i used my stethascope first. lol

gas4you said:
But is a heat bank supplying hot system water to a plate heat exchanger that give your hot tap water, not the same principle as a combi heat exchanger?

The only thing they have in common is a plate heat exchanger, not much else - besides using water and pipes as well.

It certainly is when you try to run 2 or more hot taps at the same time :eek:

A 100kW plate will run many taps.

You obviously appear to know more about thermal stores and heat banks than me, but the basic physics just doesn't add up.

What are you on about?

My gledhill plate he is small, I doubt it is even as big as a Vaillant 837's one.

Agreed that a 100kW PE will run more than one tap heat wise but would be limited by the incoming mains pressure and flow which will always be the main thing to consider when looking at either high performance storage combi's or Heatbanks such as the Pandora.

Storage combi's using PE's (Worcester Highflow 440 as one example) work well with the store kept at around 70 degrees producing piping hot water ... Such is the efficiency of the new PE.

And they condense fine :LOL:

I like storage combi's and heatbanks and would fit either ... Each have their place.

In terms of Pandora 'v' Unvented ... I'd go with the Pandora IF I WERE DIY'ing ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back