Tigerloop problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an external oil tank about 1m below the burner, and I've fitted a Tigerloop Bio right next to the burner itself. I'm priming the oil pipe by physically disconnecting it from the bottom of the Tigerloop, then reconnecting it. The burner runs for a bit and then stops after a minute or so.

The Tigerloop is connected to the burner by the usual two flexible pipes, so I can't really see what's going on. I previously had the Tigerloop set up about a metre away from the burner and about 300 mm lower, and in this set up I had a plastic flow tube from the Tigerloop to the burner, which allowed me to see what was going on. After priming the flow tube (not the oil inlet, as is currently the case), I saw a few bubbles coming up, and then a lot of frothing.

The connections between the burner and the Tigerloop are tight, so I don't see how air could be getting in there. I can't see whether or not there's froth in my current setup with the Tigerloop right next to the burner.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate some help - I'm at the end of my tether!

Sponsored Links
Is the burner 1 m above the bottom, oil level or the top of the tank?

I have never seen it sugested before by anyone but is there any mileage in slightly pressurising with air the top of the tank? That might drive the oil through until it sucks all the air out.

Tony

burner.

As I read it, you are trying to run the oil pump set up for a one pipe system, where as with the tiger loop fitted correctly the pump is set up for two pipe.
spraggo

burner.

As I read it, you are trying to run the oil pump set up for a one pipe system, where as with the tiger loop fitted correctly the pump is set up for two pipe.
spraggo

how do you mean? the override screw is in on the burner, so it's running as a two-pipe system

Sponsored Links
[quote="tehpsy";p="1842766how do you mean? the override screw is in on the burner, so it's running as a two-pipe system[/quote]

It seems that I miss understood you, I took it that you were trying to by pass the tiger loop and fitting the oil line directly to the oil pump.

I don`t understand why you are diconnecting any pipes from the tiger loop, as the oil pump is quite capable of lifting 1m. have the flexibles been removed, is there any oil in the tiger loop bowl, if so do you see any bubbles when you bleed the pump with the burner running?.

Is there oil in the tank? Have you checked the connections at the burner?
Frothing indicates air leakage in the pump circuit. Remove the tiger loop, and make sure the non return valve in the return port is not jammed open.

have the flexibles been removed, is there any oil in the tiger loop bowl, if so do you see any bubbles when you bleed the pump with the burner running?.

unfortunately the tigerloop bio is made of aluminium so i can't see inside it... but some oil came out of the bottom last time i disconnected it...

Is there oil in the tank? Have you checked the connections at the burner?
Frothing indicates air leakage in the pump circuit. Remove the tiger loop, and make sure the non return valve in the return port is not jammed open.

Yeah, there's oil in the tank; our Aga is running just fine. How can I check out the non-return valve in the return port of the Tigerloop (it's a solid Aluminium one...)

could the pump suction be set too high? is it possible to adjust that on the Grant Vortex Eco Pro?

[quote="tehpsy";p="1842783unfortunately the tigerloop bio is made of aluminium so i can't see inside it... but some oil came out of the bottom last time i disconnected it...[/quote]

Can you give more info, what was the reason for the boiler to stop originally, have you had it serviced and checked that the pump and oil line filters are clear, as previously stated the flexibles are prone to perish and let air in but not let oil out. If it was running OK before it is unlikely that you need to change the oil pressure. What makes you think it is the tiger loop thats causing problems, the pump may not be spinning fast enough due to coupler slipping on the drive shaft etc, etc , etc.

[quote="tehpsy";p="1842783unfortunately the tigerloop bio is made of aluminium so i can't see inside it... but some oil came out of the bottom last time i disconnected it...

Can you give more info, what was the reason for the boiler to stop originally, have you had it serviced and checked that the pump and oil line filters are clear, as previously stated the flexibles are prone to perish and let air in but not let oil out. If it was running OK before it is unlikely that you need to change the oil pressure. What makes you think it is the tiger loop thats causing problems, the pump may not be spinning fast enough due to coupler slipping on the drive shaft etc, etc , etc.[/quote]

this is an entirely new central heating system - new boiler, new Tigerloop, new copper pipes connecting to the tank, new flexibles connected to the Tigerloop. The tank, however, has been running for 10 years or so because it runs our Aga.

If you saw frothing in the plastic flow pipe, air is being drawn in somewhere, or there is a blockage in the supply pipe. Tight joints do not necessarily mean they are sealed.

How long has the boiler been fitted?

Has it ever run properly?

If you saw frothing in the plastic flow pipe, air is being drawn in somewhere, or there is a blockage in the supply pipe. Tight joints do not necessarily mean they are sealed.

How long has the boiler been fitted?

Has it ever run properly?

this is the first installation, so it's never been run properly; I'm just trying to get it to work now.

Where should I be checking for possible air leakages? Inbetween the Tigerloop and the burner, or before the Tigerloop (or both)?

[quote="tehpsy";p="1842826this is an entirely new central heating system - new boiler, new Tigerloop, new copper pipes connecting to the tank, new flexibles connected to the Tigerloop. The tank, however, has been running for 10 years or so because it runs our Aga.[/quote]

Has it previously been running, does the boiler have a seperate oill line running from the tank?.

[quote="tehpsy";p="1842826this is an entirely new central heating system - new boiler, new Tigerloop, new copper pipes connecting to the tank, new flexibles connected to the Tigerloop. The tank, however, has been running for 10 years or so because it runs our Aga.

Has it previously been running, does the boiler have a seperate oill line running from the tank?.[/quote]

yeah, the tank has two separate oil lines; one to the Aga, one to the boiler.

It's possible it's a tigerloop fault. Even an additional non-return valve may not fix it.

Can you run a return pipe from the boiler to the tank, and connect that to the burner? Then bypass the tiger loop. Unfortunately you may need to get a non return valve in the supply pipe, and unless you have one, shops will be shut. (If you do have one the shops will still be shut).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back