Tigerloop problem

[quote="tehpsy";p="1842839yeah, the tank has two separate oil lines; one to the Aga, one to the boiler.[/quote]

In that case I would suspect that the oil line to the burner has water in it and iced up or that it is blocked with sludge.

Sponsored Links
It's possible it's a tigerloop fault. Even an additional non-return valve may not fix it.

Can you run a return pipe from the boiler to the tank, and connect that to the burner? Then bypass the tiger loop. Unfortunately you may need to get a non return valve in the supply pipe, and unless you have one, shops will be shut. (If you do have one the shops will still be shut).

i could try that. there's a non-return valve between the tank and the tigerloop, so i'd just need to run an additional line up to the tank.

[quote="tehpsy";p="1842839yeah, the tank has two separate oil lines; one to the Aga, one to the boiler.

In that case I would suspect that the oil line to the burner has water in it and iced up or that it is blocked with sludge.[/quote]

i put a T just before the non-return valve outside (right before the fire valve). oil can run cleanly out of that valve when i open it, so from the tank to the non-return valve looks fine to me. if it's blocked or iced, it would have to be in the 1-2metres between the non-return valve and the house...

without the tigerloop, the pump was pulling oil, but with massive bubbles of air ( i guess due to the height difference), but with the tigerloop installed it just produces lots of foam. that makes me think that the line outside is okay - is that a false assumption?

If it is pulling in air then you have a leak, it could be that it is pulling air back through the Aga line, is the Aga? lit is there a non return valve fitted to the Aga line?.

Sponsored Links
tehpsy said:
- is that a false assumption?

You will be able to tell us after you have fixed it. It's surprising what faults can exist and how they appear.

This is like a Christmas fairy tale, with situations unfolding as it goes along!

I am left wondering about the Wicked Oilman who seems not to have been involved in installing or commissioning the boiler!

The obvious and simple question is "does the boiler run fine if the oil inlet pipe is dipped into a bucket of oil beside the boiler?"

Tony

The obvious and simple question is "does the boiler run fine if the oil inlet pipe is dipped into a bucket of oil beside the boiler?"

Tony

Can`t do that Tony, the pump is set for two pipe system. But it might work if both the flow and return pipes from the oil pump were dipped in;) ;)

Silly question, but are the lines between tigerloop and pump the right way round.

Unless someone knows different, you don't fit a non return valve with a tigerloop.

Can we assume you fitted the by-pass screw.

Make sure the burner has the right pump fitted for the motor rotation 'cos if it's wrong it will never work!

Seriously I did find one wall mounted boiler with Tigerloop that was fitted with the wrong pump, ie LH rotation instead of RH and it hadn't worked properly since installation until I fitted the correct poump.

Also prime the pump first by using a lift pump or similar. I used an outboard motor fuel line and bulb which was cheap and efficient. :)

Burner is a Riello, so pump rotation is irrelevant.

Still shouldn't have a non-return valve in the line between the tank and the tigerloop.

Unless the new ones are different.

doesnt need a non return valve. make sure you bleed at the spigot on the pump inside the boiler.

Still shouldn't have a non-return valve in the line between the tank and the tigerloop.

Unless the new ones are different.

why's that? i never saw that mentioned in any of the documentation...

Because a Tigerloop has one built in.

Think there's an how to, in the Grant MI, must go and dig a copy out. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back