Tiling uneven wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some advice for a bathroom wall that needs tiling.

Top half of the wall is wallpaper on flat decent plaster, the bottom half was tiled.

When I’ve taken the tile off there’s a lot of cement like material (possibly old adhesive).

This is around 1/2” tick, more in places and protrudes our further than the flat wall above it.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Pics are attached. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

John

Attachments

• iOS Image - 3578671335.jpg
    iOS Image - 3578671335.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 473
  • iOS Image - 2052384065.jpg
    iOS Image - 2052384065.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 434
  • iOS Image - 1301481151.jpg
    iOS Image - 1301481151.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 465
Sponsored Links
chip off all that adhesive back to the backing plaster. use an sds + chisel bit if you have one.
then photo and come back on here.

is this problem is in the wet wall areas ? do you have any kind of enclosure?

Hi, I can chip off the adhesive but how would I then fill the bottom half of the wall and make sure it’s flush with the top?
I’m tiling the whole wall so don’t really want to have to re plaster everything.

And yes this will be the wet areas, where a shower bath will go.

Sponsored Links
Yes that’s not adhesive but cement, old school tiling, can be a real slog to remove , can be patched up after with bonding plaster.

that stuff whatever it is shouldnt be to difficult to takeoff with an sds spade bit or even a hammer and brick chisel. its not set on masonry but a backing plaster.
thats not old school tiling where the tiles were buttered with a slurryand set on a semi wet sand and cment render sprinkled with dry cement powder.
that looks more like a thick blob flattened out with tile pressure.but theres no signs that the tiles gripped as it set up.

its a dead neat job that must have taken a long time.

you can use a sand and cemnt render in the wet areas and as above bonding in other areas. or if you dont want to plastermaybe correct thickness backer board will pull the wall out level in the wet areas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back