Timber prices?

My mate in Cornwall builds log cabins. Hw had a delivery from Latvia with Latvian driver.

Sat nav took him down a small cornish lane..... the wrong lane..... he couldn't turn round... he was stuck for I think 4 days. They had to dismantle a barn so he could get out....

Not sure how this is affecting his business

Sponsored Links
My mate in Cornwall builds log cabins. Hw had a delivery from Latvia with Latvian driver.

Sat nav took him down a small cornish lane..... the wrong lane..... he couldn't turn round... he was stuck for I think 4 days. They had to dismantle a barn so he could get out....

Not sure how this is affecting his business

Bloody Brexit eh?

We used to import/distribute pet supplements from a company in the USA. Once we cleared vet/customs, we had no problems sending them to other firms in the EU

I suppose once goods enter the customs union after following all necessary procedures and product compliance, those goods would be able to be sent around the internal market with no friction.

Sponsored Links
If it was me, I’d try my hardest not to do that but if I did, I wouldn’t make the same mistake again. Would you?

Valid point but it doesn't take in to account the fact that regulations can change over night.

We once had two pallets of pet supplements held up at Thames Port (at our cost) because of one single box containing 12 bottles of salmon oil. The previous delivery wasn't an issue but this one was because of a minor change in DEFRA's interpretation of the relevant EU directive. The Chief Vet told me that if it was for human consumption, it would not be an issue. She advised me to phone DEFRA. I explained the anomaly to some bloke called Dave at DEFRA. He promised to look in to it. Fair play to him, he phoned me the next day to say that they had discussed the issue and decided that the product will be released. He went on to say that the advice on their site would be updated to reflect the change in interpretation.

My next order containing Salmon oil was 3 months later and came in via Heathrow, meaning that we were now dealing with a different Chief Vet. DEFRA had not updated their site. The product was not allowed in and we had to pay for it to be stored, and then had to pay for it to be incinerated.

Admittedly, Importing timber is probably much more straight forward.

Was your 'mate' the polish one you used to quote?

Or the Romanian 'mate'?

Or the Serbian 'mate'?

Or the Chinese 'mate'?

I think he qualifies as Cornish. He was born in Devon mind... lived in Cornwall all his life... he has black twinn cousins whith great Cornish accents... ones a plasterer ones a farmer....

I dont think I have a Serbian mate..... Have I told you that Mrs Bod is English/Polish/Indian?

Chinese mate is more Hongkanese, and no longer.... he's a pest.

I dont think I have a Serbian mate.....
Hmm...

Today down the town park my little girl went to a party.
Serbian family. Lovley. Talking to a beautiful young Polish girl I know about her issues in life. Mainly Eastern Europeans.

On the way back to the car my daughter dragged me for a pint at the greyhound..

Two fellas sitting opposite me. Not seen each other for a while. They must have been in their 60s.
How are you Jim.
One said.
Jim replayed. "tea I'm alright. I can still have a row" was his reply.

I felt like saying: did I hear you right, ", you can still fight". Your knocking over 60 years old. I would have when I was younger.

Who do you think I enjoyed my time with today?
The Serbians or the local idiot.

I suppose once goods enter the customs union after following all necessary procedures and product compliance, those goods would be able to be sent around the internal market with no friction.

Maybe it's more complicated than that now. Before Brexshit, goods from UK to European mainland were just goods moving around The EU. Now exporters from UK have to deal with individual EU coutries as well as EU regs.

When I purchase kit from the states the price includes landed shipping costs

any vat or duty applicable is paid in the UK prior to arriving at my address in

That is a slightly different scenario though. The likes of UPS and FedEx have their own customs clearing houses. If the seller has already taken any payments for duties or vat, they pass them on to HMRC. If the sender hasn't included them, UPS will demand payment before they physically hand you the goods.

Our American suppliers had already encountered problems trying to send things in to the EU. They sold on a collect from their factory and sort out your own paperwork and shipping basis. We paid the import duties (8%) and VAT as soon as the goods arrived in the UK at the HMRC clearing house.

Sending, for example, a pallet load of drill bits is relatively simple. You go to the HMRC website and use the commodity code "tree" to work out what the relevant duty is. When looking at food stuffs, if it has sugar or dairy ingredients, it is subject to tariff quotas. On Jan 1st, the EU says that, for example, two hundred tonnes of that product are allowed to enter the EU at a 8% rate per tonne, once that 200t limit is reached it becomes 8% of the value of the consignment. Buyers have no idea when the quota is going to expire, so the big boys front load their annual orders.

Going slightly off tangent, but trying to prove a disjointed point about VAT. I am self employed but no longer VAT registered. If I imported a pair of safety boots from abroad, I have to pay 20% VAT when they enter the UK even though they are VAT rated at zero to end users. Given that I am not VAT registered, I cannot claim the VAT back.

Sponsored Links
Back