To kill a gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.... only takes a match.

Hello all. Probably a simple one for ypu lot....
Gas pipe from meter runs for about 12 feet across the garage wall to the boiler. I am going to rip the central heating out in the next week or so and obviously I'll need to take the boiler off the wall.
Can I turn the supply off at the meter and will that then be ok to take the boiler off the wall? I appreciate we will have no gas to the house but we can survive for a month without it. Would I have to dissipate the gas in the pipe from the meter or will that be done when I uncouple it from the boiler. Will I have to put my cigar out when I do this? :whistle:;)

Secondly.... could I then fit a compression ball valve to this pipe run to help in the future?

Thanks everyone
Alex

Edit: there is NOT A CHANCE I will be doing any further work to the pipe after I have disconnected it, I will most definitely leave that to the plumber when he comes. I just need the old boiler off the wall and out the way.

Sponsored Links
1. You can't legally touch the gas meter, pipe(s) or fittings (including the boiler) without being Gas Safe Registered (GSR).
2. You can't fit a compression ball valve to the pipe without being GSR (see above), and no one in their right mind would do so without capping off the outlet side of the valve.

A GSR engineer will have the know how and equipment to turn the gas off safely so that it can't be inadvertantly turned on, and to test the installation after removal to ensure it is safe.

@Yorkshirebloke the gas supply needs to be properly capped off and tested using the approved method to ensure that it isn't leaking. The emergency control valve on the gas meter isn't infallible and occasionally they do pass when turned off, hence the need for full safety checks.

Good stuff boys! Asked, answered and understood. I'll call a man who can in. (y)

Sponsored Links
I had a similar job a couple years ago. Bought a house that needed full rip out. GSR came in, ten minute job to remove the gas meter, completely isolating the house. Didnt charge me because he had the job to fit the new system when I had finish ripping the old system out.

Good stuff boys! Asked, answered and understood. I'll call a man who can in. (y)

Seriously mate... don’t be tempted. 99% if the time it won’t be a problem if you’re diligent but no one knows if they’ll be the other 1% and that’s where responsibility and insurance lives... if it carries gas, leave it be.

Aye, it really is a simple job for someone, so for a couple of quid cash a local bloke will pop and do it. I decided not to mess with it, the downsides outweigh the small cost saving shall we say lol.
I can't really ask the guy who's possibly doing the system install, as he lives over an hour away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back