Tory govt is implementing Northern Ireland Protocol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Of course publicly, the govt is saying it isn't.

Johnson knows conning his daft electorate is more advantageous than breaking international law.

Sponsored Links
As far as i know most border checks have been unilaterally suspended by the British government until next October.

Another good outcome is that the EU has suspended legal action against the UK due to recent disturbances in N. Ireland.

As far as i know most border checks have been unilaterally suspended by the British government until next October.

Another good outcome is that the EU has suspended legal action against the UK due to recent disturbances in N. Ireland.

You may well be right, but I can't find confirmation of that.

NI Protocol: Northern Ireland handles more import paperwork than whole of France
17th April

https://www.larnetimes.co.uk/news/p...import-paperwork-than-whole-of-france-3204237

EU sent the notice to UK on 15/03/21 and UK has one month to respond, i.e. by 15/04/21 else EU takes the issue further.
The triggering of the infringement procedure means London has one month to reply to the EU and explain or remedy its actions
https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-legal-action-uk-brexit-breach/
Did the UK respond? What was the response?
It's all gone very quiet and no-one knows if UK responded.
If they didn't, or the response was not sufficient, I don't suppose the EU has had sufficient time to prepare its case to take it further.
So I think your supposition is exactly that: supposition or rumour.

Sponsored Links
Just imagine the chaos that would/will ensue when all checks are initiated as they should be.

UK government were warned from all sides that they did not have sufficient staff, nor infrastructure to conduct the required checks.
They only had five years to prepare.

As far as I am aware EU nations have still not ratified the Agreement. It could all go wrong yet.

European Parliament sets date for Brexit trade deal ratification vote
A mere eight days before the expiry of the agreement being provisionally applied, Parliament announced that a plenary vote on the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA) will take place on April 27.
He said that the agreement provides “additional instruments to act against the misbehaviour of the partner.”
He added, “EU-UK negotiations regarding Northern Ireland are also on track and a solution is in sight. The UK no longer wants to take unilateral measures.”
https://www.theparliamentmagazine.e...-date-for-brexit-trade-deal-ratification-vote
It looks like Notch was correct.

Last edited:
If EU did not ratify the Agreement by end of April, it would no longer apply at all.
But the EU has decided to ratify the Agreement because it provides more leverage in applying additional instruments to deal with non-compliance.
If there were no vote this month and provisional application of the agreement were not extended, then the trade deal would cease to apply, leaving Britain and the European Union to trade with tariffs and quotas.

"However, the UK government should not misinterpret this as a sign that we are letting our guard down," said Andreas Schieder, one of the lawmakers in charge of the file.
He said the parliament was strengthening its hand because the trade deal included potential sanctions, such as restricting market access.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...grees-april-vote-eu-uk-trade-deal-2021-04-22/

You may well be right, but I can't find confirmation of that.

NI Protocol: Northern Ireland handles more import paperwork than whole of France
17th April

https://www.larnetimes.co.uk/news/p...import-paperwork-than-whole-of-france-3204237

If the protocol was being implemented to its full extent then the above is probably correct.
Because the Government has unilaterally extended the grace period things are running quite well, Michael Gove wanted a 2 year extension but the EU refused and demanded that full compliance should commence on 1st April 2021 despite being warned about the damage that would cause.

Quote.
Grace periodEdit
The agreement provided for a delay of three months (ending 31 March 2021) to allow retailers, wholesales and logistics operations time to adjust to the new arrangements for goods movements from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

The UK government asked through the Joint Committee structures for an extension of two years on an these checks, claiming to anticipate severe difficulties with food supply in Northern Ireland. On 3 March 2021, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland informed the UK Parliament of the Government's intention to instead unilaterally extend the grace period post-Brexit checks for a shorter six month period.[35] Following this announcement, the EU threatened legal action claiming the action was outside the Protocol process and was the second time the UK had sought to breach international law in relation to the Northern Ireland Protocol,[35] an action backed by Simon Coveney, the Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs.[36] On 9 April 2021 Bloomberg claimed that the EU is set to postpone the threatened legal action against the United Kingdom as a result of tensions in Northern Ireland.[37]

Of course publicly, the govt is saying it isn't.

Johnson knows conning his daft electorate is more advantageous than breaking international law.

johnson assured the British public that there would be no border controls between GB and NI, and no paperwork.

It's best to remember that he is a notorious liar and you should not believe anything he says.

Did you know he once signed a binding international treaty, and then went on to say he intended to break it?

never mind, the Brexers like that sort of thing.

Blimey Johnson a porkie pier :eek:

jeez us

mind u I always had my suspicions
About the bloke :cool:

Came across as shifty dunno how

He managed to hood wink all them traditional labour voters to vote for him :eek: but hey ho they appear to be easily lead :mrgreen:

it would not surprise me to find out that the buffoon has French ancestry :idea:

Picture the scene Mr never had a job labour activist turns up canvassing at mr traditional labour voters door looking for his vote

Mr traditional labour voters gets told

vote for us / Corbyn and you mr traditional labour voter will have the legal right to go into woman’s toilets and changing rooms

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mr labour voter is not impressed :LOL:

If the protocol was being implemented to its full extent then the above is probably correct.
Because the Government has unilaterally extended the grace period things are running quite well, Michael Gove wanted a 2 year extension but the EU refused and demanded that full compliance should commence on 1st April 2021 despite being warned about the damage that would cause.

Quote.
Grace periodEdit
The agreement provided for a delay of three months (ending 31 March 2021) to allow retailers, wholesales and logistics operations time to adjust to the new arrangements for goods movements from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

The UK government asked through the Joint Committee structures for an extension of two years on an these checks, claiming to anticipate severe difficulties with food supply in Northern Ireland. On 3 March 2021, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland informed the UK Parliament of the Government's intention to instead unilaterally extend the grace period post-Brexit checks for a shorter six month period.[35] Following this announcement, the EU threatened legal action claiming the action was outside the Protocol process and was the second time the UK had sought to breach international law in relation to the Northern Ireland Protocol,[35] an action backed by Simon Coveney, the Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs.[36] On 9 April 2021 Bloomberg claimed that the EU is set to postpone the threatened legal action against the United Kingdom as a result of tensions in Northern Ireland.[37]
From your source:

The European Union is set to postpone legal action against the U.K. for breaching the Northern Irish Brexit deal, according to two people familiar with the matter, as riots grip the province.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t-legal-action-amid-northern-ireland-violence
I wonder who those two people are. One of them is bound to be Arlene Foster. The other one? Sammy Wilson probably.

Picture the scene Mr never had a job labour activist turns up canvassing at mr traditional labour voters door looking for his vote

Mr traditional labour voters gets told

vote for us / Corbyn and you mr traditional labour voter will have the legal right to go into woman’s toilets and changing rooms

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mr labour voter is not impressed :LOL:
Who is Corbyn?
Are you living in the past?

Blimey Johnson a porkie pier :eek:

jeez us

mind u I always had my suspicions
About the bloke :cool:

Came across as shifty dunno how

He managed to hood wink all them traditional labour voters to vote for him :eek: but hey ho they appear to be easily lead :mrgreen:

it would not surprise me to find out that the buffoon has French ancestry :idea:
Turkish, I believe.
Boris piffel Johnson is happy to throw UK under the bus anyway.
Apparently both Johnson and Cameron are descended (illegitimately) from George II.

Can somebody remind me, please, which party has been in power for the last 11 years?

@transam needs to know who bears responsibility for this convicted rapist

2336.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ho-sexually-assaulted-inmates-jailed-for-life

being identified as a woman, and sent to a womans prison

(so s/he can have another go, perhaps?)

Sponsored Links
Back