Trade...

Who sucking fed that?

0CECBE39-848F-4E2C-8520-B204FEE98978.gif

Sponsored Links
Jeezus mate you need to get out - soon. The building trade is on its knees…..

They don’t sell bricks and cement in my local Sainsbury’s but in any case, according to the BBC, it’s sod all to do with the B word.

Prices rising
The supply problems stem from a number of factors. Construction industry projects have surged since lockdown began easing which has led to skyrocketing demand for already scarce materials.

There are also issues hitting specific products, such as the warmer winter affecting timber production in Scandinavia while the cold winter weather in Texas affected the production of chemicals, plastics and polymer.

There has also been a sharp rise in shipping costs, said Noble Francis, economics director of the Construction Products Association.

"Shipping costs have risen sharply due a shortage of empty containers from Covid-19-related issues and the sharp recovery in global demand," he told the BBC.

For instance the cost of shipping a 40ft container from Asia to Northern Europe soared from $1,500 (£1,061) in summer 2020 to more than $8,300 (£5,873) by May 2021, he said.

With demand globally increasing and the UK importing many of its raw materials, lead times for orders are lengthening while prices are shooting up.

Sponsored Links
Jeezus mate you need to get out - soon. The building trade is on its knees and Maccies have run out of chicken selects.
Tip of the iceberg.

Is it?

I need some skirting and doors and a new bathroom suite - not that I have looked but which goods are in short supply?

They don’t sell bricks and cement in my local Sainsbury’s but in any case, according to the BBC, it’s sod all to do with the B word.

Prices rising
The supply problems stem from a number of factors. Construction industry projects have surged since lockdown began easing which has led to skyrocketing demand for already scarce materials.

There are also issues hitting specific products, such as the warmer winter affecting timber production in Scandinavia while the cold winter weather in Texas affected the production of chemicals, plastics and polymer.

There has also been a sharp rise in shipping costs, said Noble Francis, economics director of the Construction Products Association.

"Shipping costs have risen sharply due a shortage of empty containers from Covid-19-related issues and the sharp recovery in global demand," he told the BBC.

For instance the cost of shipping a 40ft container from Asia to Northern Europe soared from $1,500 (£1,061) in summer 2020 to more than $8,300 (£5,873) by May 2021, he said.

With demand globally increasing and the UK importing many of its raw materials, lead times for orders are lengthening while prices are shooting up.
Naughty naughty mottie.
Selective quoting and not providing a link to your source. The article that you quoted from went on to say:
Brexit effect
Brexit has also affected the UK's timber supply as 80% of softwood comes from Europe, said Thomas Goodman, construction expert, from MyJobQuote.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57247757

Naughty naughty mottie.
Selective quoting and not providing a link to your source. The article that you quoted from went on to say:
Brexit effect
Brexit has also affected the UK's timber supply as 80% of softwood comes from Europe, said Thomas Goodman, construction expert, from MyJobQuote.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57247757
Naughty naughty Dazzler. Selective assuming on your part there again. Do you need a link? I did state that the BBC was my source. In any case, softwood is only one small section of 'building supplies'. Yes, 80% of the UK's softwood may come from the EU although it doesn’t say what percentage of that 80% is not getting through, does it? There seems to be no shortages of softwood in the sheds though. https://www.diy.com/search?category=DIY762928&term=Softwood
What softwood are you having trouble getting, maybe I can Google it for you?

Brexit effect
Well I never!

Well I did actually. Brexit has affected prices, without a doubt. Motties favourite Sauvignon Blanc is up by a quid per bottle. Many building materials are up in price as is steel stock.

Tip of the iceberg. Gonna be tough when concessions end along with the pandemic - as to when demand is back to pre-pandemic levels.

Naughty naughty Dazzler. Selective assuming on your part there.
I quoted the bits you omitted.

Do you need a link? I did state that the BBC was my source.
Otherwise we are reliant on your inaccurate paraphrasing.

Yes, 80% of the UK's softwood may come from the EU although it doesn’t say what percentage of that 80% is not getting through, does it? There seems to be no shortages of softwood in the sheds though. https://www.diy.com/search?category=DIY762928&term=Softwood
What softwood are you having trouble getting, maybe I can Google it for you?
You claimed that BBC article said that: "it’s sod all to do with the B word " which is blatantly untrue.

As I've previously said, biased news reporting can be as much about what you don't report, as what you do report.

Buy Cheddar
I did the other day.
Although it's not available in the larger portions that are in UK, nor the various choices: mild, mature, extra mature, etc.
We invariably bring a decent size piece back with us after visiting UK, as well as decent size piece of beef, reduced to several meal size portions, before freezing, and tea bags.
But as we haven't been since pre-pandemic times, we're reliant on availability in French supermarkets, and swapping horse meat for beef for roasting.

And we bought some pork to make our own sausages. Not bangers for frying though, sausages for drying in the sun.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back