No deal catastrophic to farming

Brexiteers probaly think leaving the EU and trading with other countries is like not shopping at Saimsburys but going to Tesco instead.

We can get our shopping ie goods from somewhere else.

Sponsored Links
A tax is not a tariff. It is still the case. Why are you in such denial?

Can we for a moment pretend that I'm not very bright, could you explain to me why a tax is not a tariff, and at which point a tax or duty becomes a tariff.
Thank you in advance.

Brexiteers probaly think leaving the EU and trading with other countries is like not shopping at Saimsburys but going to Tesco instead.

We can get our shopping ie goods from somewhere else.

As far as food is concerned, it is.

Sponsored Links
Can we for a moment pretend that I'm not very bright, could you explain to me why a tax is not a tariff, and at which point a tax or duty becomes a tariff.
Thank you in advance.

Gsllahad will explain it in detail after all he does have 3 university degrees :LOL:

Sorry, I missed you post where you were going to tell us what you know is going to happen after a no deal Brexit and as I don’t have your search skills, could you just quote it for me. Thanks.

A no deal Brexit is not a single event, its the start of a process.

Quite simply the UK loses every single trade agreement worldwide and it loses £290b of frictionless trade with a continent so close its connected by rail.

Thats 10s prob 100s of thousands of rules, regulations, developed agreements.......all gone. Millions of hours of work, binned.

What will happen in reality if we get to no deal? Almost certainly a return to EU negotiations. There really is no other logical route.

What will happen in reality if we get to no deal? Almost certainly a return to EU negotiations. There really is no other logical route.

I suspect that we will all, including you, be surprised by what happens.

Thats 10s prob 100s of thousands of rules, regulations, developed agreements.......all gone. Millions of hours of work, binned.

I feel sure that somewhere in Whitehall, there's a filing cabinet, and it'll all be in there. Hopefully, it wont be locked and the keys missing.

I feel sure that somewhere in Whitehall, there's a filing cabinet, and it'll all be in there. Hopefully, it wont be locked and the keys missing.

They wont be any good will they?

We will need new standards and regulations if we are to do new trade deals.

Heres an example: trade deals with US, new standards.

Those standards means regulatory divergance from thecEU. Bang goes frictionless trade.

Fillyboy wants Brexit but doesnt understand the damage to the UK resulting from ditching every single worldwide trade deal.

Or that it will be leaked...

A bit like 'Operation Yellowhammer'...

"A hard Irish border, three-months of chaos at the ports as well as fuel, medicine and food shortages are expected in the event of a No Deal Brexit, leaked Whitehall papers show.

Operation Yellowhammer, a secret dossier filed by the Cabinet Office this month, exposes the areas that could be most vulnerable if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on October 31.

The explosive revelations marked 'official-sensitive' include the expectation of a return of a hard border in Ireland due to the inability to roll-out the government's proposed limited checks.

The papers, obtained by The Times, outline the possibility of protests, road blockades and 'direct action....

Massive tailbacks at ports could limit fuel distribution and disrupt the supply across the southeast of England, including London.

As many as 85% of lorries headed to France could be hit with delays of 60 hours and it could take up to three months before the flow of traffic reaches 75% of current levels.

Fresh food supply will plummet, leading to increased prices and less variety, while fishing vessels could clash, as nearly 300 foreign ships are anticipated to cast their nets illegally in British waters on the first day of Brexit.

Medical supplies will also be 'vulnerable to severe extended delays,' The Times reports, because three-quarters of British supplies come from the EU.

A senior Whitehall source told the paper: 'This is not Project Fear - this is the most realistic assessment of what the public face with no deal. These are likely, basic, reasonable scenarios - not the worst case."

You seem like an intelligent poster and it;s been explained umpteem times.

The EU will treat us as third country - this is what we want - then it will apply whatever the WTO tariffs are - be they 5%, 10%, 20% or higher - no discrimination.

That's it it is as simple as that.

We want special treatment then sign a deal, thats how FTA are agreed.

Why do brexiteers not understand that simple concept.

Ok, no need to be patronising, I understand that, but it still makes no sense, we the UK could (though a very bad idea) slap a 60% for for that tariff on EU derivative clearing, this would be utterly catastrophic for... well everyone really... but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I genuinely don't understand why the EU would play or be tempted to play a potentially silly game, protectionism has been shown not to work time and time again.

Or that it will be leaked...

A bit like 'Operation Yellowhammer'...

"A hard Irish border, three-months of chaos at the ports as well as fuel, medicine and food shortages are expected in the event of a No Deal Brexit, leaked Whitehall papers show.

Operation Yellowhammer, a secret dossier filed by the Cabinet Office this month, exposes the areas that could be most vulnerable if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on October 31.

The explosive revelations marked 'official-sensitive' include the expectation of a return of a hard border in Ireland due to the inability to roll-out the government's proposed limited checks.

The papers, obtained by The Times, outline the possibility of protests, road blockades and 'direct action....

Massive tailbacks at ports could limit fuel distribution and disrupt the supply across the southeast of England, including London.

As many as 85% of lorries headed to France could be hit with delays of 60 hours and it could take up to three months before the flow of traffic reaches 75% of current levels.

Fresh food supply will plummet, leading to increased prices and less variety, while fishing vessels could clash, as nearly 300 foreign ships are anticipated to cast their nets illegally in British waters on the first day of Brexit.

Medical supplies will also be 'vulnerable to severe extended delays,' The Times reports, because three-quarters of British supplies come from the EU.

A senior Whitehall source told the paper: 'This is not Project Fear - this is the most realistic assessment of what the public face with no deal. These are likely, basic, reasonable scenarios - not the worst case."

Some of us warned of this months ago :cool:

And it's only the tip of the iceberg ;)

The word 'could' in the first sentence and the word 'likely' in the second. That tells me it could also mean 'couldn’t' and 'unlikely'. Why don’t they use those words? Oh yes, project fear.
All FACT in Notchy Nostradamus's head

All FACT in Notchy Nostradamus's head
If you had read and absorbed the information, you would see the reason.

You could read about Most Favoured Nation -just google it and find why it will cause so much damage to farming.

No its because there are different options. The 'could' and 'likely' is included to simplify the text in the article.
It has nothing to do with project fear -the link is the NFU, not remainers, it is advising its members.

The problem with WTO is without trade agreements ratified Most Favoured Nation status will apply.

Moving from EU to WTO and no trade agreements would be very damaging

Sponsored Links
Back