Tradesmen that don't show up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it just me?

I moved into a new area and bought a house. I've had need for a plumber, who was recommended to me, and he turned up on-time and did a great job.

On the other hand, I've also needed a heating engineer and some fencing doing. Both times, appointments have been made and then they just don't turn-up. Is over-committment just a way of life for people with trades? Or are jobs just so plentiful that they can pick and choose on the day?

Just curious.

Sponsored Links
On the other hand, I've also needed a heating engineer and some fencing doing. Both times, appointments have been made and then they just don't turn-up. Is over-committment just a way of life for people with trades? Or are jobs just so plentiful that they can pick and choose on the day?

And thats the main reason why I do so much DIY. A large percentage of tradesmen in my experience just don't bother.

I used to be self employed (IT Engineer) and I never missed an appointment, unless it was something out of my control , i.e. illness , vehicle breakdown etc. And in any event I always called the client to appologise and re schedule.

Totally agree BoxCleva. I would never just miss an appointment or meeting without calling first - it just unprofessiional.

It constantly amazes me how many contractors make appointments and just don't show up. :eek:

Very, very annoying if you have taken time out from work :evil:

As a contractor myself I agree with BoxCleva it only takes a minute to call and say you are running late, had a drama, whatever. at least the client knows what is going on.

Do as you would be done by.

Sponsored Links
It constantly amazes me how many contractors make appointments and just don't show up. :eek:

Tell me about it. I've been waiting all day for the BG engineer to come and do our annual service!

Edit: He has just phoned to say that he is on his way.

Maybe once or twice I've missed a late appointment to look at something when I've had a mad day and just forgot, gone "oh it's hometime thank gawd" and not checked the diary.

This is usually rectified with "so very sorry, when will it be convenient for you, weekend etc".

Other times things sometimes have to be cancelled, nature of the job, but there's no excuse not to call. In fact a call to ask the customer if they'd mind terribly re-scheduling usually works, and leaves them feeling you haven't simply sidelined them.

i am a plumber and i allways turn up/phone if im running late, i got a boiler swap purely on my timekeeping (according to the customer as i was doing the job)

I am a boiler engineer and mostly cover the London area.

The information I get is often very inaccurate to say the least!

A routine service is often a difficult repair that others have failed to solve and then its followed by the " can you just look at...."

Then there are the travel difficulties! Bus lanes have converted two lane roads into one lane roads and the most minor breakdown brings traffic to a halt. The police dont help! They stop a teenager on a moped without insurance on the high street and block the road for 45 minutes!

I never give timed appointments although I do offer to call when I am setting out, say 30 minutes before. Even that can get seriously late as a typical 20 minute journey can take 2-3 hours if there is an accident or other disturbance.

As far as possible I try to call anyone to advise of delays.

The most amusing incident was a Nigerian. I had told him the engineer would aim to get there at about 11 am. Just SIX minutes he called to say he had not arrived! I pointed out that in Nigeria he would be lucky to get anyone the same day!

His clever and immediate reply was thats why he had left Nigeria! We both had a good laugh at that and the engineer arrived a few nimutes later! ( And fixed the problem! )

Tony

Agile - i, like many people i'm sure, am a reasonable guy and i understand that sometimes things take longer than expected, especially in the trades industry. However, a phonecall only take 30seconds and saves people waiting around for someone who isn't coming. Either that, or do as you say you do - never give fixed timings.

We had some builders in this summer 6pm on the night before they were supposed to be on site he rang to say he wouldn't be coming but would get three men on the job the day after and they'd be there at 7.30am to make up the time. The day after came, the first guy arrived at 9.30am the second at 11am and the third never materialised. I've learnt that people are happier if you tell them its gonna be three weeks and it only takes two rather than telling them it'll be done in two weeks and then takes three!!

Thats quite true!

Tell someone you will come by three and get there at four and they are annoyed!

Tell them you will be there at five and get there by four and they are very happy!

I am too honest to engage in that unfortunately!

Tony

Tell them you will be there at five and get there by four and they are very happy!

Tony

Not if you having to wait an hour for them to come home they are not

:)

if you going to be late call

Job done

:)

i had a customer pester me to do a small job.

i turned it down stating i could not do it for months, and at best only between jobs. i said it was unfair of me to expect the customer to wait for me without any guarantees.

in the end i said i would do the job on a Saturday on a certain day.

"ooh" she said "you can not do it then as i will be at the gym. can you not do it the day after?" :rolleyes:

yeah right, i spend all weekend twiddling me thumbs just waiting for a customer to relieve me of my boredom.:cool:

It is also a 2 way thing a lot of customers think you are sitting there waiting for there call and if they are not in you can just come back.
The one i used to hate when i worked for the board was turning up and customer saying oh sorry can you come back later we are just having our lunch. Yeah no prob is does 2 weeks today suit you. Soon used to let you in

As you might have guessed I started the thread after I got stood-up by the "heating engineer". He did call and leave a message - an hour after he was supposed to arrive, by which time I'd long gone.

I called the firm later and after a 4 hours they called back having finally fixed their story :rolleyes: - his van didn't start in the morning and he had to change vehicles.

I had an 08:00 slot - sold to me that the work would be done and I could be away without missing too much of the working day. So the engineer wakes up, finds his van isn't working, gets the loan of another van, transfers his tools and then makes the journey to arrive at 09:15. Not at all that he just didn't read the job sheets for the next day and realise he had an 8 O'clock start. No, definately not that. Cynical?

The moral of the story: always call tradesman (or deliveries, or anyone who's supposed to turn up) the day before to make sure they know when and where they're supposed to arrive. The truth - if there is one - is that these guy are thinking about the job and not about the customer.

Yesterday evening there was an accident in NW London about 1800 hrs.

That caused jams across the whole of NW London and delays od about an hour if you knew alternative routes or two hours if you stayed on the North Circular.

All the big firms like British gas only give am or pm appointments and few of their staff will call when they are on the way and expecting to arrive shortly.

I give a two hour time guide but say that I will call 30 minutes beforehand. My vehicle would not start yesterday either!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back