Travel Insurance

Sponsored Links
What made you imagine it was free?
I pay 15 per month and get excellent cover.
by comments people make with oh i dont have to pay for travel insurance its included with my bank account .
i hope you have declared all medical conditions and any medication your taking

What made you imagine it was free?
I pay 15 per month and get excellent cover.
So, 13 per month £156 a year? Not bad if it covers the kids as well, considering the holidays you go on.
Breakdown - We pay £41 a year for the two of us, any car or motorcycle, roadside and relay with the AA
Phones are included on our home insurance.
Travel insurance - single trips these days IF we go abroad although Mrs Mottie isn’t keen on going abroad in the near or medium future with all the uncertainties of travel. Out of curiosity I’ve just had a quote for £53 for a fortnight in Spain for the pair of us with high blood pressure and cholesterol plus prostate cancer (watch and wait) for me (64) and mild asthma for Mrs Mottie (61). I assume it would be the same for any European country. I doubt whether my conditions would be included with no extra charges on a bundled bank account policy.

We insure our house with Direct line which includes "free" travel insurance, when I was diagnose with high blood pressure I rang them to let them know, that was the end of cover for me, not even a chance to up the premium.

Sponsored Links
Thats good they quote £159 for 2 people cover on their web site
It was last month. You won’t get it now but I did let everybody know. Post #2197

Having claimed something like £80k on TI, I've been round a couple of the loops. We have cover through HSBC Premiere account - which is free, though you have to have some dosh with them. (You get other benefits like some percentage or other of CC spend in Amazon vouchers. It used to be M&S vouchers but be got all knickered out).

Long story but I do have preexisting conditions so I went round a whole load of companies, anonymously.
Ailments came in categories, and all the companies seemed to use the same (3?) categories for the ailments.
Same with activities like skiing.

A daft one I remember was arthritis
It's in the lower category most don't charge extra for
Unless you have it in your neck, in which case it's a higher category and most DO charge extra for it.
HSBC and another "company" schemes do NOT charge more for either, OR for travel to USA.

Saga were the worst, they seem to charge extra for hay fever.

So try your bank.
I just checked, you'd need to have 75k with HSBC for "premiere".
You could try Santander's posh account too, that used to be £50k - theirs is underwritten by Chubb - I daresay many banks etc sub it out to another company.
Using HSBC "free" travel insurance for everything saved well over a grand a year , for cover of all trips.

Last edited:
by comments people make with oh i dont have to pay for travel insurance its included with my bank account .
Yeah it does tickle me when people say in flight drinks are for free or some such. Whilst forgetting they have shelled out for a plane ticket.

i hope you have declared all medical conditions and any medication your taking
Of course. I take BP tablets and the missus (occasionally) uses an inhaler for asthma. They were cool with that. All logged on their database. I also made sure it was ok for the sprogs to travel in isolation and that skiing was fully covered. In spite of the fact that I only shell out £13 per month, the coverage is very good. We have all claimed for phones over the years and the process is fairly simple.

I was actually shelling out for a separate AA policy up until this year because I was told that the previous (Nationwide chosen) breakdown company did not cover commercials. I'd had that personal cover since 2005. No need now that they are tied to the AA.

We've all had phones repaired/replaced, over the years. I think there is a claim limit per year though.
I‘ve had a mobile since 1984 and I've never lost one. Mind you, in 1984 you could hardly forget that you didn’t have it with you.

I‘ve had a mobile since 1984 and I've never lost one.
Never lost one. The phone repair people either try and repair the handset or they replace it. They insist that back up all your data in case the phone is not repairable.

Agree Mottie, you can't use these new fangled handsets as a door weight anymore, no.

Thanks guys, I did check with Nationwide, no go.

Staysure seem to be the best at the moment, 176, but no excluded stuff.

I understand that having a whole list of conditions means I am not going to get a cheap quote, but I at least want cover for any issue should it arise, unlike the first quote. They wouldn't even cover a fracture!
One of the most common holiday emergencies is due to a broken arm or leg. For a travel insurance policy not to cover it is shocking..........They obviously don't want your business. Unless your existing ailment is 'brittle bones'. :(

Just a heads up, with all the talk about whats included and whats not I noted in mine that if you don't comply with the laws then the insurance may be invalid. When travelling in spain on the coach transfer you are told to wear your seat belt as it is the law, many don't so if there was a crash insurers may use that as a get out clause?

Another problem I came across when getting travel insurance was for cover in a motorcycle accident.I specifically checked when I used to go on motorcycling trips to Europe. Most of them limit treatment and repatriation from motorcycle accidents on 50cc or 125cc bikes - typically the type of bikes tourists might hire. No good when I was riding a 1300cc bike! The AA were the only ones I could find that covered you on a bike as long as you had a licence to ride it and were wearing a helmet.

Sponsored Links
Back