Trying to find an MK cooker swtich that's no longer produced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into quite an old house and am having a new kitchen fitted.

I am desperately trying to find a replacement cooker switch but it is not the standard size now used.

It is made by MK and the cooker switch with socket that I need is 146mm x 101mm.

Does anybody know where I can get hold of one??

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Is there any chance you could upload a photo of the existing unit?

You probably don't want to hear this but i've just binned a decent one of those :cry: But the good news is that it is relatively easy to change the backbox to suit one of the double socket sized CCUs. It is only the height that is different, so change the backbox and fill the gap top or bottom, the cables should reach. Mine did.

I am surprised that modern cooker switches are so much smaller than the traditional ones, even though modern installs use thicker cables etc - I wonder why they decided to shrink down the cooker control boxes? :(

Sponsored Links
MK still produce them, infact they also produce a blank plate to fit the old boxes.

I am surprised that modern cooker switches are so much smaller than the traditional ones, even though modern installs use thicker cables etc - I wonder why they decided to shrink down the cooker control boxes? :(
I've never understood why traditional ones were so big. You only have to look at shower switches to see that you can get a 50A DP switch with terminals that will take 16mm² that fits a standard 1-gang box.

And traditionally cooker circuits never used more than 6mm². They could always have made CCUs with/without sockets in standard 2/1 gang sizes.

hi, i know this is an old post but does anyone know where i can get 1 of these, tried everywhere even ebay ( not the 1 in the photo!! ), it is the same width as a normal cooker unit but slightly taller.
many thanks alan

i presume it might be the same size as an old ashley ccu172??
photos required!

sorry, i meant its the same width as a 2 gang box, but slightly taller, the sad thing is ive probably thrown hundreds away over the years!!!

no its not pal, thanks though,
i'll take a photo and get some proper measurements, as im just assuming this is the same switch that the op was looking for ( it does sound the same), as i said its mk and the same width as a 2 gang box but taller, but i will report back!

I vaguely remember the one you mean. I think I was from the old MK logic range.

Not seen one for years, and certainly not seen one on sale any where.

I think you are going to end up replacing it with a standard 2G CCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back