Tumble Dryer In The Bathroom??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I am about to remodel my bathroom and would like to site the washing machine in there if I could.

My questions are:-

1) Is it ok to site an appliance in the bathroom at all
2) If it is ok, must I use a fused connection unit or can I use an outdoor-spec socket
3) I would like to conceal the washing machine beneath the vanity - alongside the basin. Is this too close?

The issue with the washing machine is central to my bathroom plans so I need to decide now what I want - and can - do.

Thanks in advance for your advice. This is the first site I come to when looking for help and it's never let me down so far.

Sponsored Links
Official line: This is AGAINST ALL REGS and you MUST NOT DO IT. Also, if you have any problems with the install in the future, most sparkys will REFUSE TO TOUCH IT.

Unofficial line: Some friends of mine have had both their washing machine and tumble dryer in their bathroom for many years with no problems. Use your common sense - If the sockets can get splashed or suffer any form of water ingress then you're asking for trouble. Take into consideration the ventilation and how steamy your bathroom gets. Aside from the potential electrical danger, the appliances themselves are more prone to corrosion. If you can be satisfied that the above poses no problems then personally I see no problem with it - if I had the room I would have my own washer in the bathroom for convenience. I also see no practical difference between an appliance near a sink in a bathroom and an appliance near a sink in kitchen.

I would, however, stress that this is my personal opinion and re-iterate my opening comment that this is a total NO-NO in the eyes of most professionals.

you are right in saying it is a no no, it is against all regs (unless very big room with bath in it)you said Unofficial line: Some friends of mine have had both their washing machine and tumble dryer in their bathroom for many years with no problems

what problm are you waiting for? the most likely "problem" is that of DEATH since to have a socket outlet in a bathroom is ridiculess, also remember electricity has no prejudices, it kills ANYONE, it not a question of no problems, its WHEN.

As an ex white goods service engineer, i have refused to work on appliances that were in bathrooms.

You may say i am being OTT, or over cautious, thats just your pov, let me ask you this.

How much is it going to cost to have an appliance fitted in the correct place?

how much does a life cost?

which is cheaper?

im pretty sure it is allowed provided the ip ratings are ok and they are only placed in zone 2 if no other loction is feasible

furthermore they MUST be wired in

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
furthermore they MUST be wired in

by that i take it you mean a FCU?

sorry, that is not acceptable to a repair engineer, as before working on a m/c it has to be "meggered" which you can't do if it is wired in (idea being you know if there is a problem before you start)

also after meggering before any work can be carried out appliance must be isolated from electrical supply (un plug it, fcu is NOT good enough)

in the average house i still say the answer is NO, you can not have an applance in bathroom

as i also said Electricity has no prejudices, it kills anyone

also it does not answer my last 3 questions.

Breezer, I see your point and obviously I agree that electricity is lethal and safety is paramount.

But I still don't see how a washing machine next to a bathroom sink is any more likely to kill you than a washing machine next to a kitchen sink.

there is no point in getting into a lather about this, its not so much the w/m but the socket, being in the bathroom, yes a weather proof one could be installed ( i never said you can) but is that tv you just plugged in waterproof? get out of bath (still very wet) pick up tv and ...............

that is why you dont have sockets in bathrooms. we also wont mention if earth on appliance "goes" and makes floor live

So if I ever did decide to do it (because personally I think the bathroom is a more convenient place for the w/m anyway), how about placing the socket on the other side of the bathroom wall (hall, bedroom etc) and having the flex go through a correctly sized hole drilled through?

ninebob said:
how about placing the socket on the other side of the bathroom wall (hall, bedroom etc) and having the flex go through a correctly sized hole drilled through?

BS7671 does not specifically proscribe washing machines in bathrooms. In zone 3 you are allowed, "current-using equipment other than fixed current using equipment [which] shall be protected by a residual current device with a residual operating current not exceeding 30mA..." (Reg 601-09-03) And there is no absolute requirement for ingress protection either unless water jets are likely to be used for cleaning purposes.

Goes against the grain, I know, but it reads to me that if you supplementary bond your w/m, protect it with a 30mA RCD and power it without the use of a socket in the bathroom, then the regs don't disallow it. (And if it's in a cupboard "accessible only with the use of a tool" it's outside the zones anyway.)

Never mind regs !! Who said the Law cannot be an ass ?

I have two daughters .... I did not believe how much condensation any one could create in a bathroom until they grew into their teens extractor or no extractor !!
I would say possibility of loads of condensation at one time or another is surely a 'no,no' with household electrical machines in use ?

Put the socket outside the room, and what ? Ever looked under a washing machine ? plenty of connections, circuit board with flimsy plastic cover !!! All open to air and whatever is in it !!

Isn't the real problem here a lack of space rather than any other consideration ?
Mine's a breezer please.

P

My opinion is that the only place for a washing machine is in the garage. Nothing to do with electrical safety but it's a fact that they will ALL flood eventually; it's just a matter of time.

Dingbat is right.

If you have a bathroom big enough (and some houses do, with converted bedrooms) you can site an appliance in zone 3 wired thro' a fused spur protected by an RCD, and this would be fine.

Outside the zones too would be fine. So I suppose you could build a cupboard for it, like an airing cupboard, although some think this much debatable....

In a lot of houses the missus IS the washing machine and that's why a lot of girls like a white wedding; so their dress matches the other kitchen appliances.
On a serious note, shouldn't the fused spur be outside the bathroom and terminating in a flex-outlet plate in the bathroom?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back