Tumble Dryer In The Bathroom??

breezer said:
there is no point in getting into a lather about this, its not so much the w/m but the socket, being in the bathroom, yes a weather proof one could be installed ( i never said you can) but is that tv you just plugged in waterproof? get out of bath (still very wet) pick up tv and ...............
Anybody stupid enough to want to do that is probably not quite stupid enough to not think of using an extension lead anyway....

pipme said:
Never mind regs !! Who said the Law cannot be an ass ?

I have two daughters .... I did not believe how much condensation any one could create in a bathroom until they grew into their teens extractor or no extractor !!

Teenage sons do the same...

Sponsored Links
MS - In zone 3 you can use ordinary switches, so no, it does not have to be outside.

Plug - zone 2 is NOT acceptable.

Breezer

Surely appliance engineers are an evolving bunch? They must have come across appliances wired via fused spur before - CH boilers is a prime example. How do they get round this problem?

I can't see how DP disconnection of appliance along with removal of fuse is "NOT good enough". 3mm seperation is good enough for most manufacturers who specify this means of connection. Why not an appliance engineer?

It's not the appliance that is questioned by the regs, it's the presence of a socket outlet, the idea being that a plug & socket encourages physical contact with a body ie plugging in and unplugging.

sucurespark i am sure it was said in a guidance note somewhere that zone2 is acceptable if AND ONLY IF zone 3 or beyond is not feasable

I shall hang my head in shame, if you can find the ref......!

Sponsored Links
http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?forumID=23&threadID=7420&messageID=73826#73826
salem2000 said:
This infomation below, was sent via e-mail to myself from IEE Technical Services Department, as a direct result of an enquiry about the same question.

Washing machines, tumble dryers, washer-dryers and other appliances ratedIPX4 may be sited in zone 2 if they cannot be reasonably sited in zone 3 or beyond. All such appliances must NOT be supplied by a socket, but by fixed wiring outlets and protected by a 30mA RCD.

Thanks, everyone for your advice.

To answer some of your questions:-

1) I'm considering putting the appliance in the bathroom because there's no room in the kitchen.

2) My bathroom is quite small so the front of the appliance would be 800 mm from the edge of the bath, the flex outlet 1400mm. That's Zone 3, isn't it?

3) I only realised it was possible to use a flex outlet to connect an appliance after seeing Ben Huggins do it on the "Mates Rates" series. He did consult an electrician who confirmed that no socket was allowed.

Seeing as how I will probably be renting out the flat in the long run, I might give the washing machine/bathroom thing a bit of a miss because I don't want to give any tenants any excuse.

Another factor I only considered when laying out the "new" bathroom on CAD was that the height of a vanity required to house an appliance would have to be approx. 910mm (similar to kitchen), whereas a conventional vanity would be only 850 or thereabouts. I know it's not a great deal for a big bloke, but might present an annoyance for my 5'5" bulk.

Thanks again.

i wasn't refering to the regs. as you may or may not know i used to work for a large white goods company, if an appliance (thats not a boiler, since we never did them) is connected by a spur you do not touch it end of story.

This is because you had to megger it first, but you cant if on a fcu also what if single pole fcu and its wrong way round turn it off appliance still live.

if its not on a plug we could not touch it

surely in that case the customer could just remove it from the basthroom and stick a plug on it while you fixed it

who is the white goods company in question so we can avoid them like a plauge for dodgeing thier warranty commitments like this

plugwash said:
who is the white goods company in question so we can avoid them like a plauge for dodgeing thier warranty commitments like this

you figure out who, but the waranty is NOT covered if it is a fcu since all appliances came with moulded on plug

which the stickers on the mains flex explicitly tell you to cut off if its unsuitable for your outlets

You could always wind them up by fitting a 2A plug or a shaver plug on the end of the flex and ask why it doesn't work. ;)

Well, with the 1A=1000W equation, that's 2K - enough to run a TD!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back