Twin brown brown and earth

Sponsored Links
Go argue with the IET.
No need. It is only you who doesn't understand.

Why do you think they still show standard wire being used for a light switch and not twin brown?
Because it makes no difference?

The problem really is that electricians are trained.
Stop arguing with them, then.

Once only in factories etc that employed them slowly but surely all need to be.
Do you know what you meant?

Lights are wired and one stops working so need to check what is wrong. Switch easy. One should be live and the other turn on and off. The wired as L connection identifies which should be live all of the time. The other is wired as N so easy to identify which should be switched so that is what I would use and suspect some people might think diy if they saw anything else. An alternate view might be why make things difficult when there is no need.

That's ok so problem some where else. Less difference here. Either type of wire allows the switch and actual light connection to be identified also power in /power out. That can be important as it may not be possible to see where the wires finish up.

The same applies if some one needs to check for correct wiring.

Personally I am not against DIY electrics providing they are done "correctly" to a reasonable degree. The authorities concerned have other views. There are good reasons due to what some have done in the past. This includes some that have called themselves electricians and might even be to some extent or the other.

Twin brown used elsewhere has it's interesting points because as soon as an electrician looks at that type of circuit they will know that it's not the usual type of light switch as soon as they take the switch off. All sorts of people take switches off at times that may be part of the reason.

Sour grapes maybe?, Oh dear some one doesn't agree and we rule this forum.

Sponsored Links
Twin brown used elsewhere has it's interesting points because as soon as an electrician looks at that type of circuit they will know that it's not the usual type of light switch as soon as they take the switch off.
As I think you've been told, in some parts of the British Isles, twin brown (previously twin red) is seemingly the ('required') norm.

One DIY domestic electric installation was wired with purple singles of appropriate cross sectional area. CPC was green.

Every wire had a wire number at both of its ends.

It was at the time deemed compliant ( circa 1960 )

One DIY domestic electric installation was wired with purple singles of appropriate cross sectional area. CPC was green. Every wire had a wire number at both of its ends. It was at the time deemed compliant ( circa 1960 )
Other than for the CPC, I think that would probably still be compliant in the UK, but I'm not so sure about the rest of the British Isles.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, if you use twin brown cable for the 'strappers' between two switches in a 2-way switching set up, then it doesn't make any difference which is which. However, as I said, in some other light switching situations you might need to know which of two browns in a 'switch drop' was the permanent live.

Kind Regards, John
Generally I find most 2 way is wired with the red or brown in 'com' however I automatically try to make brown as perm live on a 3 core.

One DIY domestic electric installation was wired with purple singles of appropriate cross sectional area. CPC was green.

Every wire had a wire number at both of its ends.

It was at the time deemed compliant ( circa 1960 )
And that sort of system is typical of the way control panels are currently built and to a lesser extent the field wiring too.

Not necessarily both live all of the time. In the case of more complex light switching (with multi-gang switches), one might need to know which of a pair was the 'permanent live'.
Indeed, at the last house I did 3-gang switches in the bedrooms - and 2off T&E drops from a JB. So 4off brown cores - identified with cable markers as "L", "1", "2", and "3". Actually, as some of the existing cable was retained, 2xred and 2xbrown cores which saved a little bit of testing to identify them.

I've had two different approaches to conductor ID of twin red or twin brown.

One conductor is white in the middle. The other way is that one conductor has a ridge down its length.

I don't like twin brown so never bought any.

If twin brown is such a brilliant idea (it's not), why don't they make triple brown for two-way lighting strappers?

I don't like twin brown so never bought any.

If twin brown is such a brilliant idea (it's not), why don't they make triple brown for two-way lighting strappers?
Twin brown is a brilliant idea and brown and blue should be illegal for misuse as a switch drop without a neutral. You don't need three core for strappers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back