Ubuntu Machine Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any-one recommend a basic machine that I could use as a standby
in case of trouble with my Win Machine.
This would be used mainly for searching, emailing etc.
I would prefer a keyboard and mouse but I currently use a "crossover"
switch for this purpose.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've always converted my old laptops incapable of running windows to Linux cinnamon, been great when all I need to do is run a browser

Thanks CW.
I'm running Ubuntu on "an old lap-top"
Perhaps I'm being too cautious but I was
wondering what to do if it packed in!
Have just upgraded to Ubuntu latest version and can't see how to
create short-cuts for mail.com etc. Libre Office short-cuts, for example,
just appeared on the "new" screen after the upgrade.

Sponsored Links
Not used linux in years, but Ubuntu was always a more bloated Linus distro, I put Peppermint on an old laptop once and it worked. Very lightweight OS.

But I have also used Knoppix bootable CDs which are handy, and you can put linux on a USB drive too, so if you know how to change the boot loader in bios then you can boot both windows and linux. I think I used to have a linux partition on my HDD...

I used Knoppix to recover my brothers photos once when his Windows died, years ago.

knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix860-en.html

https://peppermintos.com/

If your currently using an old laptop and are happy with it then why not get another old laptop?
Many are available on most sale sites, ebay etc.
Even for free on Freegle or Freecycle etc.

IF you want to spend money then spend it on a drive big enough to backup to, a >1TB SSD can be had reasonably priced and run as a USB drive
then make regular backups.

refurbished can be good - I got my son a refurbished PC a couple of years ago and still working well (I assume!)

I got mine from Amazon, just because I trust Amazon's return/refund policy more than some companies

BY the way, if a new machine you get is better than your current one then you may as well use that and keep the current one for the backup.

Sponsored Links
Back