United Utilities, anybody work for them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody work for United Utilities or another DNO, I am going for an interview for a digital meter installer!

I want to get more electrical experience and local sparks are not interested in training someone who could compete later on. Working on this side of a domestic installation would give me good experience whilst getting a salary.

Any advice on what they might ask me at the interview (from the big book) would be appreciated! :D

Sponsored Links
It sounds like limited scope work, BS7671 doesn't cover the DNO side of things. I suppose if you freshen up on the Electricity at work regs, ESQCR, electricity act it wouldn't hurt.

focus on SAFETY, if you will be doing existing meter changes, you will be pulling MAIN FUSES (cutout fuse)so a good approach to safety is paramount, show a respect for the stuff. Also attention to detail and willing to travel as UU can cover a HUGE area. as for attention to detail one wrong connection in polyphase metering can cost a DNO thousands if not millions. . Also as a meter installer you will probably be given targets to meet, so i wouldnt bank on getting much experience in housebashing as you will be kept busy as you may get paid per job. You also may be working for a separate company within UU so be clear who you will be working for. Most of the meter fixers i know have gone on to becoming polyphase and HV meter installers and engineers so there is some good career progression and intresting work, Hope the above makes some sort of sense to you!!

AFAIK "ROO" works for one of the DNOs as a meter installer.

Watch out for a reply from him in the next few days

Sponsored Links
also getting on with people when you go into their houses.

Unlike the UU guy I have met.

I have many instances of finding high or non-existant Ze's, so I call UU out and the first thing he does upon finding it is high, is pull the fuse.

No discussion, no request. No paperwork or labelling.

We need the customer's permission to disconnect.

It sounds like limited scope work, BS7671 doesn't cover the DNO side of things. I suppose if you freshen up on the Electricity at work regs, ESQCR, electricity act it wouldn't hurt.

It's limited to the DNO side of things so don't know how much that would help you.
We don't have anything to do with the customers installation anymore and if there is a problem an isolator gets fitted and the customer is told to contact a spark, so you wouldn't gain any trouble shooting experience etc.

On the other hand you would be working with electricity and would gain a knowledge of how electricity works and what not, you should also get a pension and I'd hope a half decent salary. :D

Although I think mostly my job is quite easy there are lads that work for us that struggle to get their heads around certain setups or struggle with the work load.

It would be good to show your interviewers that you can be smart as it's good to send a well dressed rep to a cust's house (reminds me must have a shave :D ).

Have good customer relationship skills(I agree with you SECURE some of us couldn't give a flying er duck about customers, but most of us do).
I like to think I do my best to calm a customer down and help them out after they've spoken to some dope in the office, and also have a laugh with them now and again it makes the day seem quicker.

That you can work under pressure, the jobs changed a lot since I started with all the meter operators trying to compete against each other. and the work load is getting worse and worse.

My advise is if you do get the job (which I hope you do) don't rush just to keep up with the lads that have been doing the job years.

ALWAYS do your tests no matter how unimportant you think they are and if you can't remember doing a test do it again.

We have had instances in our company recently with (AFAIK or I hope) new starters leaving wrong polarity's all over the place because they have been rushing trying to earn more money and not doing their tests.

God it's hard explaining what I do LOL

Good luck with your interview.

Cheers roo!
I would like to think I had the presentation of James Bond and the care of a Bomb Disposal expert ;)
I have had the problem over the years, that trying to be humorous people think you are an idiot.....but lifes too short be miserable!

I will post a message if I get the job......or hit the tinnies if I don't? :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back