University For All ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the subject of fees rising to get into universities, to make places more 'exclusive', what is the general feeling on this ?
My opinion is that university shouldn't be 'diluted' as it has been in recent years, that there will always be levels of educational ability, and that degrees such as Horse Psychology' and the like are a joke.
If a young person thinks that getting into massive debt over three years, and then using that impressive diploma / degree to such good effect that it gains them employment in some fast food joint because of the dearth of suitable positions that their hard work and effort merits, all the time waiting for a career that may never come to fruition, is worth the effort, then its a shame.
Maybe it's just me, but I do think some youngsters are deluded, alot more so than when I was that age. We talk about opportunity for all, but look at the situation these young people are in now. It will always be a case of survival of the fittest, in mind and body, no matter how many qualifications you may have.

Sponsored Links
So you think they should all be NEETs then?

Certainly not dossers, no Joe!! But, I just feel that realistically, there is an echelon, and people will naturally fit into their position in life. But nowadays youngsters are told they can reach for the stars if they want to, and are very disappointed when they don't or can't. They think that if they don't attend uni then they've failed, when this isn't the case at all IMO. :)

Our only hope is an educated population. That's the only difference between us and the Third World.

Do you have an education? Or your kids?

Sponsored Links
Certainly not dossers, no Joe!! But, I just feel that realistically, there is an echelon, and people will naturally fit into their position in life. But nowadays youngsters are told they can reach for the stars if they want to, and are very disappointed when they don't or can't. They think that if they don't attend uni then they've failed, when this isn't the case at all IMO. :)

Vote conservative last time round did we ;)

Vote conservative last time round did we ;)

You're good, WMC !! :D

What's your opinion ? Do you think that all these deluded youths should get educated up to the eyeballs, or set themselves more realistic targets ?

If you aim low you'll hit low.

If they studied for a degree that employers actually want and need, then they would be able to pay off their debts quicker.... It would deter them from studying for useless or junk degrees....

So there are loads of jobs for all those super qualified guys and gals then?
I'm not trying to say that school leavers shouldn't try to better themselves, just that they should set the bar realistically. I work at a place where I see 'the future' of our country, and believe me, some of their parents need to realise that it doesn't matter how much money you throw into a childs education, if they can't grasp basic skills then maybe they should search different options in the future. Although in saying that, I don't think that the young ladies and gentlemen where I work will have to worry about where their next meal will be coming from :)

Mums and Dads - don't coerce your kids in going to Uni just because its the 'done thing'....its simply not suitable for all.
John :)

Why don't you let them make up their own minds? Sounds to me like the politics of envy. Didn't your kids make the grade or something?

Some students could shelve the 'living away from home ideal' and attend local University thus shifting income from Landlords to Uni !
Not for all, but the answer to funding problems for some.

Perhaps that is the plan - if there ever was one - which I doubt.

-0-

The high percentage of young people going to university these days is a joke. Most of them don't have the intellectual ability to properly study at university level. Standards at some of the newer universities (which in my opinion should never have been given the title) are ridiculously low.

It used to be the case that a degree meant you had reached a certain standard no matter which university awarded it and no matter what subject. Now, when someone says that they have a degree, you have to ask which institution, what year, and what subject, before you know whether it really counts.

Yes, two actually. BA with first class honours in mathematics 1977 and M.Sc in mathematical education 1990.

Sponsored Links
Back