Unknown wattage of machine advice

Sponsored Links
watts times volts = amps
240 x12v is 24x the the value or other way round
so to keep it simple as you reduce the voltage you multiply the amperage by the same amount and visa versa
but to allow for inefficiencies reducing the ratio a bit makes allowances hence i say multiply your amps by 15 to = watts at 230v

What type is your British Gas meter?

All this guessing so far is entirely pointless and a waste of everyone’s time.

I can’t get to it at present but looks like this.

Attachments

• 7AB3F52A-30BA-40D5-90E0-C48CACE1EC76.jpeg
    7AB3F52A-30BA-40D5-90E0-C48CACE1EC76.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 75
Sponsored Links
Ahh ok. I’m not sure how accurate that will be for low power equipment.

I was hoping you had a proper plug in power meter like this:
Clicky thing

This would make things much more straight forward.

I can’t get to it at present but looks like this.
serves no value what so ever in this instance
assuming 13p a unit you are using 10 units or 10kwh an hour or heating a canabis grow or powering a small funfair
forget trying to micromanage use one off those is so inaccurate for small amounts it point less:rolleyes::D

I don’t use the thing I just happen to have one.
I thought that somehow looking at the screen before and then switching on the machine might advise me but not by the seems of it.

300w is what I will take away from this.
Thanks.

I don’t use the thing I just happen to have one.
I thought that somehow looking at the screen before and then switching on the machine might advise me but not by the seems of it.

300w is what I will take away from this.
Thanks.
as an aside the 300w will be unlikly to to be the average consumption
if used just to charge the battery with say weekly use will average nearer say 15-20w
if in daily use for an hour perhaps 50w average
in general somthing plugged in but not in normal use if its a transformer that plugs in [wall wart] and gives out a different voltage at the other end its consumption can be completely discarded from any consumption calculations because at most the average consumption will be less than 1p a day

Last edited:
The british gas remote display i have you can toggle through the settings to display Watts, if your load is pretty steady when you do it then yes i feel it would work.
However it does not update instantly, you would need to let it run for at least 30 seconds then the display will increase.
Mines linked to the smart meter so may be different to your plug in one

Last edited:
As already said the maximum wattage is likely 120 watts, from experience with PC's in a charging trolley I know with that type of charger you can work on the lowest voltage it can run on times amps to get real maximum watts. However that is charging watts you say you want motor watts.

So once the battery is fully charged then likely the energy meter will work, I see some thing on bottom of display that says kW so I assume you can press a button to get kW.
It depends on battery and how charged, my charger works in stages, so when looking what car used I get a graph like this Jag battery charge Jan2.jpg the jump in output when something happens at 11:40 am every day does not really show what that something uses, as the charger will only output at 0.1 or 0.8 amp in this case so even it the car used 24 amp for 10 seconds it would still show the same as 4 amp for a minute.

So the meter on the supply will tell you what the battery uses, but not what the motor uses, it depends on how the battery charger works, lead acid batteries often do have a fixed voltage to charge, but more like 13.4 volt not 13 volt, and other rechargeable batteries use all sorts of devices to work out when charged, from a temperature sensor to delta V, doesn't matter what that is, just that the battery charging current may not relate to what the motor uses.

And again key cutting while actually removing metal the motor will use more than running light.

So big question is why do you need to know wattage of motor?

The 1.2A will be what it draws at the minimum input voltage of 100V (it'll be a switched mode supply). It will draw less at 230V. I reckon the max load is 120W.

So I can then purchase the correct cable size for inverter.
You can't get mains rated cables under the size required for 120 watt, it is around ½ an amp. O.5 mm² is ample, on the 13 volt size the charger shows the current 0.8 amp so likely 1 mm². Your not really worried about what the motor uses, only what the charger takes or delivers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back